Which tripod/monopod to get for beginner

Which tripod/monopod should i get for my m34 Panasonic GF1? Tripod or Monopod is better? Price range is below $100. Need your recommendations. Thanks

1. Get either the Slik Sprint Pro II GM (new $140.00; used 1-year old $80.00 to $100.00)
Use it for a few months, sell it or keep it. (no regrets)

or

2. Spent about $500.00 and get one that will last a long time. (no regrets)

Cheers.:):)
LEW

xhui said:
For what kind of equipments??

Jusino tripod where the tripod can be detach and be a monopod...

Jusino tripod where the tripod can be detach and be a monopod...

I mean what camera and equipments are you intend to use with Jusino tripod? You goto see if the max load of the tripod can hold your equipment well. If it can be detached to be monopod, it's just an added on function.

But I think i saw another thread with positive feedbacks for this tripod. Go down to stores and check them out would be best. :)

xhui said:
I mean what camera and equipments are you intend to use with Jusino tripod? You goto see if the max load of the tripod can hold your equipment well. If it can be detached to be monopod, it's just an added on function.

But I think i saw another thread with positive feedbacks for this tripod. Go down to stores and check them out would be best. :)

Hmm... For d7k and max lens I have is 70-300... The guy at red dot photo recommend me to try... It can hold up to 12 kg...

Hmm... For d7k and max lens I have is 70-300... The guy at red dot photo recommend me to try... It can hold up to 12 kg...

Bring your heaviest equipment set up, try it on the tripod. See if you are comfortable with the built, and stability other then what the spec sheet says.

Budget is always a concern, but you goto balance that out with what would be safer, better, best for what you have. Can try out Sirui at TK foto at funan, at least they are receiving quite positive raving feedbacks around here!

I started off with an aluminium tripod+manfrotto ballhead, almost broke my back and knee while carrying it around with my equipments while on travel, now I've switched to a carbon fibre one. Sirui T1204X! Loving it. :lovegrin:

Bring your heaviest equipment set up, try it on the tripod. See if you are comfortable with the built, and stability other then what the spec sheet says.

Budget is always a concern, but you goto balance that out with what would be safer, better, best for what you have. Can try out Sirui at TK foto at funan, at least they are receiving quite positive raving feedbacks around here!

I started off with an aluminium tripod+manfrotto ballhead, almost broke my back and knee while carrying it around with my equipments while on travel, now I've switched to a carbon fibre one. Sirui T1204X! Loving it. :lovegrin:

thanks... maybe will try it then if not satisfied then sell and get sirui next time... need someone to try this thing out...!

I have been using the Facier FT-666A for 2 years now.
My heaviest gear on it was a d90+grip+2batteries+2xtele+nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D
not much of a problem.

I shoot a lot of seaside sunrise so always sticking it in salt water. Starting to rust a little but not a problem much as I rinse out the salt water asap when I am done for the morning.
It is not very tall but for landscape sunrise, it is ok.

Central column is not so strong. but usually u dont have the central column sticking out as it reduces stability anyway.

It is also light enough so that I prefer carrying it for outing.

the ball head is a simple one but relatively strong. Mine still works like new. But I have also seen other mates having worn the ball out. The reason is how you use it.
As a cheaper tripod, the ball head will hold but you wont be able to use it with the drag/damp style like the more expansive ball heads. So as long as you loosen and shift your gear, then tighten, it is ok.
All being said, the head can be easily swapped so you can still stick a better ball head with drag settings and pano settings.

What I liked regarding extra features.
inclusion of spiked feet/rubber feet on rotating (most if not all expensive models require you to buy additional feet and you have to swap them out.. )

working compass built into body.
Leveling bubble built into body, AND on head where the quick release clips on.

Many expensive models is either lacking in one or more, if not all of these additional functions.:nono:

---------------
[OT]
An ideal tripod is:
Carbon fibre (reduce vibration and light)
tall enough without middle column (~1.4m) [plus 30cm with column]
Compact enough folded (~<50cm)
Lightweight (~1.2-1.5kg)
Can take good loads (~5-8kg)
have leveling bubbles, compass, spiked/rubber feets.
Detachable legs for cleaning.
rigid

good additional bits if they dont compromise stability.
conversion to monopod leg.
angling column.

Price: ~US$200-300 (I dont expect sub $150 for the tripod body alone of course)

Just want to drop a note that not all carbon fiber tripod legs are made equal. Some brand's carbon tripods perform worse than some brand's aluminum legs.

thanks guys for the info, will consider after much comments about getting a good tripod rather than a lously one.

I have been using the Facier FT-666A for 2 years now.
My heaviest gear on it was a d90+grip+2batteries+2xtele+nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D
not much of a problem.

I shoot a lot of seaside sunrise so always sticking it in salt water. Starting to rust a little but not a problem much as I rinse out the salt water asap when I am done for the morning.
It is not very tall but for landscape sunrise, it is ok.

Central column is not so strong. but usually u dont have the central column sticking out as it reduces stability anyway.

It is also light enough so that I prefer carrying it for outing.

the ball head is a simple one but relatively strong. Mine still works like new. But I have also seen other mates having worn the ball out. The reason is how you use it.
As a cheaper tripod, the ball head will hold but you wont be able to use it with the drag/damp style like the more expansive ball heads. So as long as you loosen and shift your gear, then tighten, it is ok.
All being said, the head can be easily swapped so you can still stick a better ball head with drag settings and pano settings.

What I liked regarding extra features.
inclusion of spiked feet/rubber feet on rotating (most if not all expensive models require you to buy additional feet and you have to swap them out.. )

working compass built into body.
Leveling bubble built into body, AND on head where the quick release clips on.

Many expensive models is either lacking in one or more, if not all of these additional functions.:nono:

---------------
[OT]
An ideal tripod is:
Carbon fibre (reduce vibration and light)
tall enough without middle column (~1.4m) [plus 30cm with column]
Compact enough folded (~<50cm)
Lightweight (~1.2-1.5kg)
Can take good loads (~5-8kg)
have leveling bubbles, compass, spiked/rubber feets.
Detachable legs for cleaning.
rigid

good additional bits if they dont compromise stability.
conversion to monopod leg.
angling column.

Price: ~US$200-300 (I dont expect sub $150 for the tripod body alone of course)

maybe can consider a jusino tripod + monopod... go visit red dot photo....

thanks guys for the info, will consider after much comments about getting a good tripod rather than a lously one.

me too was thinking of getting a tripod... was thinking thinking.. in the whole mind was thinking of a getting a good second hand tripod..

looking all over cs b&s.. finally found a few going for 60-80 tripod without ballhead..

was about to meet the guy who was selling his tripod, then he last min could not make it..

so i went to TK just to "see see".. coz heard good feedback about the tripod and bags there..

went in show alot of tripods hanging and on the floor.. like a museum..

and of course saw alot of price tags ranging from ard 100 to going 1k...

was looking quite long at the sirui 1004X as the design and price look good good to me.. and come with a G10 ballhead.. which means i can save money to buy a separate ballhead..

then i just ask one of the uncle there to recommend me a tripod..

then he ask me those normal qns.. budget, travel etc...

then he went for the sirui 1004X, immediately..

then he went thru in detail on the goods stuff about it and what it can do.. although i only understand maybe 60% of what he is saying..

in the end i decide to get it.. tried to play around it at home and started to like it even more..

no regrets so far... u might want to have a serious look at the sirui 1004X... its really a good tripod which is neither too cheap or expensive.. and most important its very lightweight...

hope this helps.. good luck and enjoy whichever tripod u decide to get...

Anyone using the Fotopro Coloured tripods? How are they compared to Sirui and Benro?

Actually I kind of like 3 way head instead.

lovelove5062 said:
no regrets so far... u might want to have a serious look at the sirui 1004X... its really a good tripod which is neither too cheap or expensive.. and most important its very lightweight...

I use the T1004x too as my travel tripod. Very good tripod for the price. In my test it even perform better in handling vibrations than the more expensive carbon fiber T1204x.

Good buy and enjoy it.

SHLEW said:
Ball head tripods have a tendency to creep with heavy overhanging lenses that do not use lens mounting clamp.
I started with a Sirui G-10 ballhead for my Lumix G-1, a very lightweight m4/3 cam. When mounted with a
Lumix 45-200mm tele lens, it creeps like hell. I changed it to the G-20 ballhead. It still creeps a wee-little bit,
unless I tighten the ball head clamp screw real hard. The Lumix 45-200mm lens has no clamp, so I have to live with it.:sweat:
Cheers.
LEW

Uncle Lew, you need a stronger Ballhead. Something like photoclam or markins will be perfect for you.

Uncle Lew, you need a stronger Ballhead. Something like photoclam or markins will be perfect for you.

Thanks Bro Albert. But they cost a hand and a leg compared to the G-20. This creeping problem is
only limited to my Lumix 45-200mm lens or any other camera-lens combinations with big offset CG
(centre of gravity). I'll find a way out with DIY brackets or modify a lens clamp to move the mounting
of this combination to its CG, then, hopefully, it'll tilt smoothly like a Wimberly Head.:think::bsmilie::bigeyes:
Cheers.
LEW

For maximal weight recommended, u gotta see which one is the weaker link, the specified load for tripod or ballhead/panhead. My little ballhead specifies a load of 40kg, but my tripod cannot go anywhere near that number :bsmilie:

Ryan