Which portable harddisk to bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go lighter. More cards is always good and by the time you come back the prices shouldnt be so different that you cant sell them off again.

Or can consider buy some memory card for the trip, then sell away on return, take the lose as paying memory card rental fee :think:.

Five layers or clothes :bigeyes: :sweat: Does it include those thin insulate (quite tight to the body and light weight) comfort wear? Those can keep the body warm enough in winter and you can wear less.

Never gone to tibet but I have experience NY when they are having cold snap in 2002.
You need what they call thermal. Or just go buy a long john. Must buy a woolen one and has to be the right size (tight fitting but not too tight). If it is loose, then it will not be effective. With that I dont think you need 5 layers. 3 will do (where outside is a waterproof jacket, our normal jacket here wont cut it). Wear a waterproof boots with thick woolen socks. You have to wear woolen stockings if you do not wear long john underneath jeans. At night sleep with warm water bottle. If you are camping, 2 is just a right amount (one leg - one arm). Thin leather glove (tight fit) is good if you are going to take a lot of snaps, with external layer of looser woolen one with exposed finger tips.
As for gears, shoot smaller size for potrait, larger size for landscape. Bring 10 x 2GB CF cards. Why 10? Why 2GB? some may fail. Who knows. But remember to stick with the hardy ones: Sandisk. Kingston wont cut it. I got mine frozen in Inle Lake (Myanmar) in Dec 2005 (when singapore was flooding) and it ruin the sunset shots I took in the lake. curses.

By the way, you say you are a thin girl? Um... put on more weight lah. You will sure loose those in tibet at night shivering. Extra 2-3 kg of fat will be good insulation, and not that difficult to lose. Remember to eat that medicine to thin your blood hor. Bring lots of panadol extra strong. Good luck with the trip.

Unless, its Ladakh, altitude is not a problem to the extent that compare to Tibet lah. Think that is the least of your problems :)

I think your choice of gear may be ... optimised; why need 2 huge jackets? (assuming what I think your jacket mean, the outer layer). If you can't bend your arm, something is wrong already... The portable HDD (compactdrive) you bringing is also one of the heaviest I know...

Anyway, make sure you your local agent at Srinigar supports you well :). The customs/immigration is chaotic there. On my return journey, they announced that no big handcarry bag/backpack allowed, only those ladies handbag allowed. They wanted to check-in my RoverLight backpack! Ha! So one of the local agent's "handlers" somehow managed to talk to them (money, what else). And then they don't allow batteries in your carry-on bags, claiming these could be components to making a bomb. So gotta take out batteries from your cameras. Everyone has to go through like 4 security screening, opening your bag and stuff. A shame really, cos the flight over the Himalayas is absolutely beautiful!! Lucky I manage to smuggle a battery.......

Well, if you've already more or less pack everything liao, then, just enjoy your trip lah. hehe...

wow that's a lot! I'll bring the portable hd and it's power adapter.. My bag is really heavy.. Jus the winter clothes alone, 2 huge jackets.. After wearing 5 layers of clothes and the boots, i felt that i've put on another 10kg.. Can't bend my hands.. I'm jus a petite girl so i think the max i can take is a 15kg bagpack.. haha.. I'll be doing light trekking in Kashmir.. Will be going to these places in Kashmir - Srinagar (altitude: 1524m), Pahalgam, Sonamarg and Gulmarg (altitude: 2743m). I'm only staying for 2 nights in Gulmarg, so think i'll jus leave the HD in srinagar since the altitude is much lower.. Yeah.. so excited, will share w u guys if my HD fail at an altitude of 1524m..

Thanks so much for all ur suggestions..!

How do u smuggle ur battery? ya, i also thot it's a shame not to be able to shoot on the plane but no choice.. I've got 2 jackets because the one that i like very much and it's fitting after i swear my thermal and sweaters is not water proof.. so i need a waterproof layer but hopefully only in gulmarg where is it a ski resort.. the waterproof one is slightly big so i hav to wear it as the outermost layer..

oh ya btw, do i hav to take out my handphone battery b4 i board the plane?

my opinion is to borrow more cards from your friends, or even buy and sell it later when u are back.

How many photos do you intend to take ? As many members said, use more memory cards is better choice.

i also hav no idea.. keke..

Ok, let me clarify. I didn't smuggle any batteries. I placed my battery in one of the corner of one of the compartment in my backpack. In the chaotic situation in the airport, I forgot abt it, and the security screening didn't uncover it.
Until, of course, when the awesome sight of the Himalayas jolted my memory... :angel:

How do u smuggle ur battery? ya, i also thot it's a shame not to be able to shoot on the plane but no choice.. I've got 2 jackets because the one that i like very much and it's fitting after i swear my thermal and sweaters is not water proof.. so i need a waterproof layer but hopefully only in gulmarg where is it a ski resort.. the waterproof one is slightly big so i hav to wear it as the outermost layer..

since TS is a girl, probably she might have quite a few sets of coats, shirts etc.

so actually, you can cut down alot on that. good thermal weather and good nylon pants are a must. but dont bring too much also. you probably wont sweat at such coldness and wont need cloth change for a few days..

instead, bring a notebook, charger for camera battery, 1 or 2 extra set of battery, and a good rugged portable hard drive. apple shops have it, but i just cant remember the name off hand now..

carry light to shoot more. =)

thanks everyone! I'm setting off tonight. I'm extremely non-cold-resistance.. I had a hard time packing last night.. almost couldnt squeeze everything into my 90 litres backpack. I tried to cut down whatever i can. Brought 2 sets of thermal to rotate.. keke..

Status
Not open for further replies.