Which one is better, Sigma 18-200 mm or Tameon 18-200 tamron?

uragon82

Sep 30, 2011
pls help any suggestions im using d5100..

The Tamron 18-270 VC PZD is quite good actually. But the 18-200 tamron is not the best.

If you prefer the Nikon 18-200 be sure to get the 2nd version - ie Nikon 18-200 VR2.

thank you daredevi for the info, but how about sigma?does it make any diffirence regarding the qualit of the picture when using 3rd party lens

Different brands the IQ most likely are not identical regardless they are third party or not. Read a magazine comparing superzooms and nikon 18-200vrII got the highest rating...better than tamron 18-270. Again it depends on your budget. If can go for nikon's, otherwise 18-270 is a good choice too.

Go to the shop and try once you have listed down 2 lenses of your choice to compare. Again weight, focusing speed etc is better verified by testing out.

Different brands the IQ most likely are not identical regardless they are third party or not. Read a magazine comparing superzooms and nikon 18-200vrII got the highest rating...better than tamron 18-270. Again it depends on your budget. If can go for nikon's, otherwise 18-270 is a good choice too.

Go to the shop and try once you have listed down 2 lenses of your choice to compare. Again weight, focusing speed etc is better verified by testing out.

There are 3 versions of the 18-270. The PZD version is tested to be very sharp and good in IQ. Only problem with it is the weird way the VC is when engaged.

Thank you guys for sharing your opinions , but which would you recomnd to buy tamron lenses , how about sigma? Anything to highlight on sigma 18 - 200 mm or 18 - 250. Thanks again

I would think u will not have regrets wif the nikkor vr2. Recent issue of digital camera mag have comparison btw the tamron 18-270 pzd, nikkor vr2, etc. The nikkor one is an obvious winner among all 6 telezooms.

It also depend on budget which lens to buy either nikkor, tamron ...etc

Hi, I m actually looking for the superzoom recently also, just for the trip. Has been posting another thread under Canon.

From what I know, nikon vr2 will be the leading brand for this category. The rest will have their own strengths & weaknesses.

As such, i supposed if you are not comparing to the L lenses, it will not be big difference to get any of these lenses.

Thamron 18-270 seems yummy to me. But together with sigma, both of the lenses has this softness issue at the tele end say 250/270mm.

So, maybe really no point to get them compare to nikon/canon 18-200, if budget allowed.

Btw, I m using canon.