which dslr to buy? canon or nikon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
to james, your post #7 makes such generalistic statements, I don't know how to respond.

For example, "v) Nikon has better grip, toughness (in term of weather proof) and Canon has better design and gimmick."

You generalised all the Nikons? I would think that both the D3 and the 1DsmkIII have an excellent grip and toughness.

i don't understand some of your questions too. For example,
"ii) Canon's DSLR can be used with third party lenses but with certain type of mounting. Is that correct? Then what about Nikon? Is nikon's only accept nikkor? Well, there are mountings, but which one has more adaptability?"

What do you mean by adaptability?

It is possible to use canon mount lenses on nikon and vise versa, by using an adaptor mount.

I read that many threads have this question discussed.

However, I am thinking of getting a DSLR system.

Please note that if one wants to get a DSLR, one is choosing the "system" rather than branding.

Therefore (but I do not know is there is a lot of users changing from one brand to another) it is important to think twice or thrice before getting a system.

There are few enquiries in my mind, hope that some Gurus can give us (those who are thinking of buying either systems) some enlighten:

i) For lenses, Nikon's have better clarity over Canon for some lenses for some focal length. However, Canon does have USM and L-Lens. However, to build up a system, especially for lenses and flashes, which one more worth it and which one cheaper?

ii) Canon's DSLR can be used with third party lenses but with certain type of mounting. Is that correct? Then what about Nikon? Is nikon's only accept nikkor? Well, there are mountings, but which one has more adaptability?

iii) For long run, we can use Nikon's lenses on Nikon's DSLR and for lenses, we have backward capability. For canon wise, I heard that they have some model of lenses discontinued after a while. In short, Nikon does provide supports in term of the reusability of the lenses in the past and to the future. Canon wise how is it?

iv) Shooting habit. I knew that Nikon is mostly used for landscape and wildlife and Canon sports and night scene. (Do correct if I am wrong because I can't recall well for this). Which one has more flexibility.

v) Nikon has better grip, toughness (in term of weather proof) and Canon has better design and gimmick.

vi) Nikon's launching of new products is always behind their marketing. Canon does do it well- enough stocks when they first launch their products.

vii) They are about the same, and no point looking at pros and cons, just go to any camera shop and have a feel on both brands and choose the one that suit you most. Sometime it is the feels with the camera that can aid you take a better picture with "feels" . Do any of you support this statement?

viii) In term of built in camera processing technique. Nikon tends to give more "noisy" picture in high ISO. Canon tends to give more "digital" look pictures. And the photos taken by Nikon more film like. Well, these are really (including previous points) in small difference and it is hard to tell sometime.

Well, I (and we all know that ) in the end of the day, it is the man who is behind the viewfinder who takes great pictures. But as I have mentioned, we are choosing system. And if we do not like the system after we have made our first purchase, changing a system does cost a bomb.

Anyway, most of the DSLR does have market value for about 18months before new products being launched.

Disclaimer: I am writing all these based on my own opinion. No offence. Some nikon or canon supporters might not like these, but of course, again, I bring these out for discussion purpose only.

Its not about liking or disliking what you wrote. Most of them are just blatantly wrong and ill-informed. Before you wonder, this is coming from a Canon/Nikon user.

You may want to buy into the future too. Samsung want to be world #3 in term of dslr in 5 year time. they are supporting pentax now.

take that into consideration. maybe in 5 years time samsung/pentax camera will be on par with other major brands of dslr in term of market consciousness.

you can also visit the different equipment discussion group and see the photographs on display, discussion etc. you will get first hand knowledge of the different issues with the different brands, if any.

shopping is part of the fun of photography :bsmilie:

I used to play with Nikon/Canon/Pentax 35mm SLRs. I still have my Canon and Pentax SLRs as the Nikon is with my brother. He is a Nokin user till today.

I have switched from the Canon 400D to the Pentax K10D ass I still havee my K-mount lenses and I have no regrets.

You are buying into a system, not just the brand. Feel the camera and if it feels right, then go into it.

The Pentax K20D shares the same features as the Samsung GX-20 and the CMOS sensor is a Samsung sensor.

to james, your post #7 makes such generalistic statements, I don't know how to respond.

For example, "v) Nikon has better grip, toughness (in term of weather proof) and Canon has better design and gimmick."

You generalised all the Nikons? I would think that both the D3 and the 1DsmkIII have an excellent grip and toughness.

i don't understand some of your questions too. For example,
"ii) Canon's DSLR can be used with third party lenses but with certain type of mounting. Is that correct? Then what about Nikon? Is nikon's only accept nikkor? Well, there are mountings, but which one has more adaptability?"

What do you mean by adaptability?

Me also don't know. :dunno:
(Please do not hold me against for what I have mentioned or going to, just my point of view).

First, let me repeat what all Gurus said that the differences become so small and it is quite difficult to differentiate sometime.

Secondly for point iv) I was saying that most of Nikon DSLRs are more robust i.e.: weather proof to rain, snow, dust and change in temperature. And the gripping is better. The buttons layout more easily accessible. Whereby for Canon's design from my point of view, looks better. Nikon just has that "old school" feels. Canon does have a lot of gimmick, e.g.: USM, "L" lenses, eye focusing mechanism (available in DSLR?)...etc. etc. Nikon always focusing on delivering better lenses with crisp sharpness. Canon does have good lens but maybe sometime focusing on more advaced technology rather than the quality of the lenses, do have drawbacks.

Then for Canon DSLR bodies, it is easier to find compatible lenses like Sigma's and Tokina. For Nikon, mounting is needed for 3rd party lenses.

Well, in the end of the days, I would like to provide a few words of advice:
i) I do see a lot people investing in photography but when later due to family's, work's, other commitment, they have to let their gears collecting dust or become a piece of expensive paper weight.
ii) Time is precious. Buying gears and wasting a lot of time but cannot achieve anything. We have limited lives.
iii) What do you want to shoot actually.
iv) Nowadays, there are a lot of users using DCs. Therefore we are flooded with a lot of digital images and people are not appreciating the pictures like what we did last time. One moment we will see a good photo but in next, we will see a better one. Therefore the level of appreciation getting lower.
v) Investing in photography unless you can make it part of your jobs, if not it is just a hobby that waste time and money.
vi) If have more time, better we care more about our family, kids, world and disable people. Rather than a lightbox and has no feeling (but of course we can generate feelings from that).

The morale of the nonsense: Me go back to PnS better. :lovegrin:

Its not about liking or disliking what you wrote. Most of them are just blatantly wrong and ill-informed. Before you wonder, this is coming from a Canon/Nikon user.
Care to shed the light then? :embrass:

Then for Canon DSLR bodies, it is easier to find compatible lenses like Sigma's and Tokina. For Nikon, mounting is needed for 3rd party lenses.

What does this even mean? "For Nikon, mounting is needed for 3rd party lenses"? Where do you get your "mis-information" from?

I have a Nikon, and I don't have a problem with 3rd party lenses like Sigma, Tokina, Tamron. You buy a third party lens, and just state which mount you want i.e. Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sigma, etc etc.

hi guys,

thanks for the input. i'll take down a few models and make my purchase. thanks :D
SOrry to add this;

Newbie - means you starting from zero, or you have already some experience with PnS?
IMHO, if there's so much you can afford, by all means you will have a wider variety to choose from, esp if the prce tag is above 1.5k. If like me, the $ is the issue, I'm happy with entry level DSLR, cos I'm a newbie starting from zero. I mean, whats the point getting one high end camera, then the outcome turns out to be - huh like that my grandma also can take...

Lots other factors were mentioned, and I agree with the rest.
In the end its our own priceless toy :)

...I was saying that most of Nikon DSLRs are more robust i.e.: weather proof to rain, snow, dust and change in temperature. And the gripping is better. The buttons layout more easily accessible.

This is purely personal. Some people (for instance those with smaller hands) find the grip of a Canon 400D comfortable, whereas others need the larger grip of a D80, 40D or D200/D300. There is no one right answer. Button layout wise, I have nothing to say regarding "more accessible". It is subjective. Different users will find different brands of cameras all equally intuitive and accessible. Don't make sweeping statements.

... Canon does have a lot of gimmick, e.g.: USM, "L" lenses, eye focusing mechanism (available in DSLR?)...etc. etc. Nikon always focusing on delivering better lenses with crisp sharpness. Canon does have good lens but maybe sometime focusing on more advaced technology rather than the quality of the lenses, do have drawbacks.

L lenses are gimmicks? USM is a gimmick? Nikon has their equivalents. Heck, every brand has their equivalents for anti-shake, fast and silent focusing, professional grade lenses. Of course they have their individual names to separate the technology and make each one unique to the manufacturer. This is purely marketing, but these are technologies that work, not gimmicks.

This is just plain blatant misinformation. If you are unsure if something, don't say it. Third party lenses from Sigma, Tokina and Tamron come in various mounts - Canon, Nikon, Sony/KM, and Pentax.

Well, in the end of the days, I would like to provide a few words of advice:
i) I do see a lot people investing in photography but when later due to family's, work's, other commitment, they have to let their gears collecting dust or become a piece of expensive paper weight.
ii) Time is precious. Buying gears and wasting a lot of time but cannot achieve anything. We have limited lives.
iii) What do you want to shoot actually.
iv) Nowadays, there are a lot of users using DCs. Therefore we are flooded with a lot of digital images and people are not appreciating the pictures like what we did last time. One moment we will see a good photo but in next, we will see a better one. Therefore the level of appreciation getting lower.
v) Investing in photography unless you can make it part of your jobs, if not it is just a hobby that waste time and money.
vi) If have more time, better we care more about our family, kids, world and disable people. Rather than a lightbox and has no feeling (but of course we can generate feelings from that).

The morale of the nonsense: Me go back to PnS better. :lovegrin:

What is the point of point i), ii) and vi)? You trying to tell TS how to live his life?

Stop it with the general sweeping statements, particularly point iv) and v). You are in a photography forum so I assume you are also a participant of this "hobby that waste time and money" as you so crudely put it.

Chill guys...

Lets just take it as our friend here is a newbie, who might know something or a lot of things, but for the moment, its just a simple question of the C or N.

SOrry to add this;

Newbie - means you starting from zero, or you have already some experience with PnS?
IMHO, if there's so much you can afford, by all means you will have a wider variety to choose from, esp if the prce tag is above 1.5k. If like me, the $ is the issue, I'm happy with entry level DSLR, cos I'm a newbie starting from zero. I mean, whats the point getting one high end camera, then the outcome turns out to be - huh like that my grandma also can take...

Lots other factors were mentioned, and I agree with the rest.
In the end its our own priceless toy :)

i used to think that the term newbie means someone with no experience with pro-consumer cams.
so i recieved a culture shock back in 03 when a secondary sch kid during a cs seed outing claims he's a newbie but owns a 20d.
20d is not entry lvl but if the kid's dad is rich why not ?

coming from a nikon user pt of view, a newbie with pro-consumer experience can easily purchase a d200 and use it for a week or two on auto scene modes before moving up to the semi-auto modes like P, A, S and eventually if he learns fast enough, he might even move up to M mode.

i used to think that the term newbie means someone with no experience with pro-consumer cams.
so i recieved a culture shock back in 03 when a secondary sch kid during a cs seed outing claims he's a newbie but owns a 20d.
20d is not entry lvl but if the kid dad is rich why not ?

coming from a nikon user pt of view, a newbie can easily purchase a d200 and use it for a week on auto scene modes before moving up to the semi-auto modes like P, A, S and eventually if he learns fast enough, he might even move up to M mode.

Agree with you there, Simon.
Maybe I'm just stereoytping lah, or too general.
For me it all comes down to how much $ we got, or willing to spend.

If he can afford the higher end, by all means la... if he can learn faster also better still ma...
Like the rest said, go get any one, and start clicking, post one up first, then can continue TCSS later... hehehe

The above 2 points are rather true :). I'll suggest thread starter to go have a feel of those nikon/canon cameras within your budget and decide yourself. These 2 brands are well known & after market parts are abundance, so it's a good choice either way.

It is possible to use canon mount lenses on nikon and vise versa, by using an adaptor mount.
From what i kinow, it is not possible to use a Canon EF lens on Nikon mount, or almost any other brand's mount. The reason is because EF mount is physically larger and has a longer flange (mount to sensor distance). The EF image circle will get chopped by a smalled camera mount. Still, if anyone knows of any successful adaptation of the an EF lens on another mount, please share. Thx.

From what i kinow, it is not possible to use a Canon EF lens on Nikon mount, or almost any other brand's mount. The reason is because EF mount is physically larger and has a longer flange (mount to sensor distance). The EF image circle will get chopped by a smalled camera mount. Still, if anyone knows of any successful adaptation of the an EF lens on another mount, please share. Thx.

Yup you are right. The EF mount is really huge, so a lot of smaller lens mounts can be adapted for fitting on an EF mount, but EF-mount lenses are rarely adapted to fit to other bodies.

..... I was saying that most of Nikon DSLRs are more robust i.e.: weather proof to rain, snow, dust and change in temperature. And the gripping is better. The buttons layout more easily accessible. Whereby for Canon's design from my point of view, looks better. Nikon just has that "old school" feels. Canon does have a lot of gimmick, e.g.: USM, "L" lenses, eye focusing mechanism (available in DSLR?)...etc. etc. Nikon always focusing on delivering better lenses with crisp sharpness. Canon does have good lens but maybe sometime focusing on more advaced technology rather than the quality of the lenses, do have drawbacks.

WAH! You make such comments, very easy to get flamed leh.
I would strongly advise against making statements such as the one I have highlighted in bold, unless you are absolutely sure of your facts. Otherwise you will just be asking for trouble.

Also, to all those people who perpetually ask the same "Canon/Nikon/Sony/Pentax... which one is BETTER??" kind of question.... seriously, ask yourself... Do you think anyone here can give you an objective answer as to which is better? Better in what way?
Buying a camera is a very personal thing. The fact that all the big brands (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic, etc) have a loyal following should speak volumes about their quality. So it all depends on which camera brand ultimately suits you.

I

i) For lenses, Nikon's have better clarity over Canon for some lenses for some focal length. However, Canon does have USM and L-Lens. However, to build up a system, especially for lenses and flashes, which one more worth it and which one cheaper?

the minolta 50mm f1.4 beats canon and nikon anytime.
the carl zeiss $2999 24-70mm f2.8 beats canon and nikon anytime.
and we dont need to spend money on IS or VR, it's already in the body.
i am talking about sony baby.

flame on.

What is the point of point i), ii) and vi)? You trying to tell TS how to live his life?

Stop it with the general sweeping statements, particularly point iv) and v). You are in a photography forum so I assume you are also a participant of this "hobby that waste time and money" as you so crudely put it.

I brought these out for discussion purpose. If I am wrong, then sorry.
But the last part I just share my observation. I am not anybody, I did not ask anyone to do anything.

But sometime I do make a mistake in appreciating the camera rather than the shooting skills and technique. That is why sometime I saw some photographers can produce some amazing photos by using PnS cameras. I also ever saw some user using DSLR producing some lousy pictures and each model session is not cheap. Kinda waste. I am not belong to the earlier or later. But the category that use PnS to produce lousy pictures. :(

I just don't want that some newbies being attracted by the advertisments and commit so fast and never think twice. Later they will get their hands burned. I saw many users investing a lot, then regret and by that time it is too late. Then from PnS -> DSLR A --> DSLR B --> PnS --> nothing, but each step cost $$$.

I am thinking in this way-- mostly I think of bringing along camera to take travelling pictures. Then came to my mind is PnS and DSLR. But come think of it, do I need to bother about my camera's safety and have a less carefree holidays? I ever saw one guy bring his family (his children still young) to holidays bringing a pram and DSLR. What a hassle? First, it will attract the attention of some bad guys and secondly, it is a holiday for him or a workout? Just my one cent worth...

I brought these out for discussion purpose. If I am wrong, then sorry.
But the last part I just share my observation. I am not anybody, I did not ask anyone to do anything.

But sometime I do make a mistake in appreciating the camera rather than the shooting skills and technique. That is why sometime I saw some photographers can produce some amazing photos by using PnS cameras. I also ever saw some user using DSLR producing some lousy pictures and each model session is not cheap. Kinda waste. I am not belong to the earlier or later. But the category that use PnS to produce lousy pictures. :(

I just don't want that some newbies being attracted by the advertisments and commit so fast and never think twice. Later they will get their hands burned. I saw many users investing a lot, then regret and by that time it is too late. Then from PnS -> DSLR A --> DSLR B --> PnS --> nothing, but each step cost $$$.

I am thinking in this way-- mostly I think of bringing along camera to take travelling pictures. Then came to my mind is PnS and DSLR. But come think of it, do I need to bother about my camera's safety and have a less carefree holidays? I ever saw one guy bring his family (his children still young) to holidays bringing a pram and DSLR. What a hassle? First, it will attract the attention of some bad guys and secondly, it is a holiday for him or a workout? Just my one cent worth...

Well, if PnSs were that good, we won't be using DSLRs at all. Unfortunately, PnSs cannot compare to a DSLR in terms of any variable except size and weight. This is taking into account a PnS and a DSLR from the same era. You do pay the price in weight, size and price, but when I'm taking a holiday, I want to make sure I capture the moment well and that demands a DSLR for me.

Plus, you just do not have the wide range of accessories, lenses and third party options as a SLR, period. That hampers creativity.

Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.