Which Camera is better for beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the D80. Feels good in my hand. Great Control. Great noise reduction performace. All that you will need :)

Anyway. It also depends on how far you will go for photography...otherwise if you get a DSLR and find that photography isn't yr cup of tea....wasted.

Another issue is when you get the DSLR, you have to harness the power of the various lenses. Otherwise if you are going to only shoot with the kit lens and though that that is it...then DSLR might not be the right one. You might like to consider a Prosumer camera like the Sony H3,7 or 9.

Just my suggestion...hope it helps :)

I have the D80. Feels good in my hand. Great Control. Great noise reduction performace. All that you will need :)

Anyway. It also depends on how far you will go for photography...otherwise if you get a DSLR and find that photography isn't yr cup of tea....wasted.

Another issue is when you get the DSLR, you have to harness the power of the various lenses. Otherwise if you are going to only shoot with the kit lens and though that that is it...then DSLR might not be the right one. You might like to consider a Prosumer camera like the Sony H3,7 or 9.

Just my suggestion...hope it helps :)

Does prosumer nowadays prices like $800 -$1k? Don't really know the price. But if its that region then I suggest getting a D40 with kit lens. At least can get other lens when need where there are rental services by bros here

Does prosumer nowadays prices like $800 -$1k? Don't really know the price. But if its that region then I suggest getting a D40 with kit lens. At least can get other lens when need where there are rental services by bros here

$799 for H7 and 899 for H9...Yea around that range.

BTW, do you have any photo shooting experience? And what do you like to shoot?

I was at the Computer fair and am interested in buying a SLR camera.
I'm a beginner in the professional Photograhy stage and have many things to learn.

I was considering between the Sony Alpha DSLR-A100K at $1099, Nikon DSLR D40x and the Canon EOS 400D or 350D.

Please help me to evaluate the above cameras to see which is the best bang for the buck. Thanks!

I'm bias towards Nikon, so I say D40x is a good choice! :cool:
Personally, I find Canon a bit tacky whereas Nikon gives you a more solid feel (oh oh..I can feel the arrows coming :flame:)....Not sure abt Sony but I have always prefer a camera- maker's camera :blah:

Which ever brand is basically the preference of the one behind the cam. For my 35mm SLRs, I have used brands from Cosina, to Vivitar, to Chinon, to Ricoh to Canon to Pentax.

if the op is still reading and hasnt bought a camer yet heres my advice...

Sony:
still a newcomer to the DSLR market. i think they use the 4/3rds system? if not ignore that last bit. either way, they are still new, and hence they dont have many OEM(sony) lenses at the mo. the ones they have are nicely spec'd, and whilst i havent used a sony SLR yet, the lens prices, as with all things sony seem exorbitant, at least when compared to similar lenses from "camera companies" though, never forget that you can get some very very good 3rd party lenses now-adays! also of importance to note is that they use the konica-minolta lens mount, so they essentially have a back catalog of lenses available, though how old these lenses are, i dont know, nor how they compare AF and IQ wise.
i know nothing of their flash system sorry.

nikon:
obviusly a big player in the DSLR market, and now even more so with th D300 and D3.
they certainly have the pro-sumer(you!) section covered. their cameras are well spec'd and in that sense they match the canon's. note that pro-sumer nikons use a CCD sensor compared to canons CMOS. CMOS is generally regarded as giving better low light performance/noise, take this into acct if you plan on doing any indoor/pub/bar/club photography, or anywhere where flash isnt allowed. also note that the D40 goes to ISO 3200, whereas the 350+400D dont. other than that, the pro-sumer cameras your interested in are fairly similar.
nikon lenses:
they have a huge back catalog of lenses that can be used... but!!!!!!!!! and a huge BUT!!! the nikon D40+d40X dont have the usual inbuilt AF motor of the higher nikons!!! this means, correct me if im wrong here, that they can only use the lenses with an AF motor built into the lens itself!! and this will limit the choice to only the newer lenses or it MF for you...
(correct me if im wrong guys.) if you can use all types of lenses(aka, im wrong) then there is quite a selection to chose from, i think it goes way back to the 70'S? whereas canon only goes back to 92? though theyre pretty well covered...
nikon is generally regarded as having a wicked flash system, very easy to use and achieves great results easily. i havent had experience with it, but my 430EX on my 30D seems pretty damn good at bounce exposures...

canon:
my home brand. i love my 30D very much, but im very envious of the new D300 :(
anyway, back to the point, pro-sumer cameras. we have 2 options you mentioned, the 350+400D both are great cameras, as mentioned above, very similarly spec'd to the nikons you mentioned. again, they use a CMOS, giving lower noise at high iso's. resolution wise, both the nikons and canon's and very similar, and unless your printing huge prints weekly, you wont notice the difference above 4MP, anythingg above 6-8 is more than enough for nearly every job, unless your cropping excessive amounts. also note, it is general knowledge that noise increases with higher density pisels, hence smaller sensor PnS's 1,2/8 sensor at 8mp produces horrible noise above 2-400 IS0. canon has a fairly well stacked lens line-up for the pro-sumer with many choices for budget wise people, there are soo many lenses that arent very popular focal lengths and so you can pick them up fairly cheap, thats if they suit you. the lens mount, compared to nikon is soo much easier, the XXD and XXXD lines take EFS and EF lenses, and thats all there is too it. canon is regarded as being the camera for sports and wildlife shooting, READ: long focal lenses, where-as nikon is thought more as a wedding and photojournalist brand. now this doesnt mean thats all they do, its just thats what people generally use that brand for. E.G nikon is said to have better tonal range and skin tones, ideal for natural skin for brides and for getting the black and whites from wedding pictures in the same shot.
canons flash system is pretty good, from my experience at least, my 430EX bounces well and gives consistent exposures all night long. and as usual there are many 3rd party options for lenses too.

small notes:
sony are the only company of the 3 to have in body IS, this means every lens essentially has image stabilisation, whereas nikon and canon prefer to keep it in lens. the advantages and dis-advantages of each choice is a hotly debated topic...
be aware of the nikon lens mount setup, i looked at going D200 a few months back and it was very confusing what features each lens could use and what lens i could mount, one thing i do enjoy about canon.
last note, a lot of nikons sensors are actually made by sony BTW, i think only the new D300+D3 are nikons own sensors, i think theyre trying to move it back home all round though...

and other than that, there isnt much advice i can give you, but basically if i had the choice again, id probably stay canon simply because of their lens sytem, its so easy to use and gives amazing results, now if i had the money to get a D2/300 i would have gone nikon as theyre isnt the compatibilty issues. you should research all this more, possibly on www.dpreview.com ?

the only thing is when i started, the only cheap SLR was the 300D(im still a student) and so i went canon READ: didnt have a choice.... :( now-adays your very lucky in that nikon has some great competition for canon :) and if i had more money, wouldve gone nikon

personally, id stay away from sony... i just dont like their system, and i generally dont like sony products in that theyre insanely overpriced for what they are when compared to other compaines! and that theyre lenses are VERY expensive and the choice is limited...
id also stay away from the 4/3rds system(Olympus and panasonic?, i dont see it being long term with the reduction in sensor manufacturing costs.... and youll be stuck with 4/3rds lenses that wont fit new equipment... not to mention its an even smaller sensor than APS so noise will be higher...)

so youve got a big decision ahead of you, chose wisely, and remeber, your not buying a camera, your buying a brand! its very expensive to change brands, i considered, and it'd cost me another $2000nzd to sell and buy equivalant of what i have now...

so consider all the factors and think about what you want to shoot, where you want to shoot, how long (timeframe) you want to shoot, essentially i mean if you dont want to do it as a hobby forever, with no plans to upgrade, then it wont matter what you chose really as things like nikons lens compatibility are pointless now as you dont plan on upgrading.....

wow that was really long, hope that it helps and didnt bore you, but its actually a very important decision :) it was for me :D

catcha round-
-isaac-

my reply is a bit too late now..... but to correct some misconcsptions abt sony alpha (which happens to be what i am using...:blah:)

Sony:
still a newcomer to the DSLR market. i think they use the 4/3rds system?

They are using the APS-C system. Though they are new to the market, they have acquired Konica Minolta's heritage of building camera systems. Furthermore, Nikon is also using their CCD.

personally, id stay away from sony... i just dont like their system, and i generally dont like sony products in that theyre insanely overpriced for what they are when compared to other compaines! and that theyre lenses are VERY expensive and the choice is limited...

As you mentioned earlier, there are a wide range of 3rd party lens for Sony Alpha. So you need not get Sony DT, G or CZ lens if you aren't particular about having the superb image quality. In fact, some 3rd party lens do match up in image quality too. Canon and Nikon's similar lens (if i remember correctly, the L lens for canon?) are insanely overpriced too but that's because of the special optics, coating and construction that went into it. In fact, considering that Sony just entered into the DSLR market, to offer that much variety of lens in such a short frame is no mean feat too and shows their commitment.

Can't say much for canon and nikon yet, as i have not used them yet. But personally i feel Sony Alpha with the SSS offers a best bargain for a beginner though i envy the multitude of lens available to Canon and Nikon after so long in the market. Now if Sony Alpha is fitted with a Nikon mount.....:lovegrin: instant body SSS with quality lens.......

By the way, prices do drop. drastically when they pushing out new cameras.....mine dropped abt $500 in 4 weeks (due to comex)... but as they say, if u are taking pictures and enjoying your camera during that time, it is all worth it.....:sweat:

small notes:
sony are the only company of the 3 to have in body IS, this means every lens essentially has image stabilisation, whereas nikon and canon prefer to keep it in lens.

id also stay away from the 4/3rds system(Olympus and panasonic?, i dont see it being long term with the reduction in sensor manufacturing costs.... and youll be stuck with 4/3rds lenses that wont fit new equipment... not to mention its an even smaller sensor than APS so noise will be higher...)

catcha round-
-isaac-
Not true, Pentax K10D and the Olympus E-510 have also got inbody IS.

Sony mount is the old Konca-Minolta mount. Sony bought over the camera division of Konica-Minolta but not the manufacturing division. Konica-Minolta is still building lenses for Sony.

Canon and Nikon's similar lens (if i remember correctly, the L lens for canon?) are insanely overpriced too but that's because of the special optics, coating and construction that went into it. In fact, considering that Sony just entered into the DSLR market, to offer that much variety of lens in such a short frame is no mean feat too and shows their commitment.

Sony lenses don't come cheap either. The G lenses which were Minolta's Rokkor-G lenses and the Carl Zeiss ZA are also insanely overpriced. The rest are Minolta lenses rebadged as Sony. So it should not be surprising that they already have a range of ready lenses when they took over KM.

Sony lenses don't come cheap either. The G lenses which were Minolta's Rokkor-G lenses and the Carl Zeiss ZA are also insanely overpriced. The rest are Minolta lenses rebadged as Sony. So it should not be surprising that they already have a range of ready lenses when they took over KM.

Yeah... no joke, I went into the Sony Gallery and was shocked by the pricing. ;)

Not true, Pentax K10D and the Olympus E-510 have also got inbody IS.

Sony mount is the old Konca-Minolta mount. Sony bought over the camera division of Konica-Minolta but not the manufacturing division. Konica-Minolta is still building lenses for Sony.

haha....he said out of the 3 that he mentioned...

yup...but u gotta give it to them for continuing with the commitment. they can cut out the orders for less popular lens to save money....

Yeah... no joke, I went into the Sony Gallery and was shocked by the pricing. ;)

shocked? i almost faint and swore allegiance to 3rd party lens :sweatsm:

How bout K10D?Its actually quite a good camera with some features not seen in other cameras.more interesting would be the ability to convert raw to jpeg in camera:)

How bout K10D?Its actually quite a good camera with some features not seen in other cameras.more interesting would be the ability to convert raw to jpeg in camera:)

Why do you need to convert RAW to Jpeg in camera? Why not shoot Jpeg in the first place? :think::dunno:

Why do you need to convert RAW to Jpeg in camera? Why not shoot Jpeg in the first place? :think::dunno:

hmm because by shooting raw,you can actually process to a certain extent settings like exposure ,white balance in camera and not have to wait till you get home:)useful to some people i guess

hmm because by shooting raw,you can actually process to a certain extent settings like exposure ,white balance in camera and not have to wait till you get home:)useful to some people i guess

mmmm.... that will be hard on the eyes, no? squinting at the small screen? i think i rather work back home with a 17" screen rather than a 2.5" or 3" screen....:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.