where to learn to dive

Status
Not open for further replies.
stonefish35 said:
I think i'm blur. You broke a part on your own BC, but end up using your friend's Reg ?

After the previous dive, my BC toppled with the tank before I could secure them with the huge elastic band, and the plastic 'purge valve' (sorry can't recall the name of this component) broke as it crushed between the tank and the deck.

On the next dive (which that incident happened), while I was looking for any spare BC to go, my friend decided not to dive. Since her BC was already rigged with the tank and reg, and I was too lazy, so just grabbed and go, although the BC size is a bit too small.

stonefish35 said:
1st stage do not usually just fail suddenly.There should be signs and symptoms prior to that.

I suspect the failure occurs gradually, and your fren's tireness may be due to this. She maybe be having slight difficulty when she breathe.The resistant when she breathe may cause her to "suck" harder, hence causing her to " work" harder. And cause carbon dioxide retention in her body.Did she complain of headache ?

May be yes, may be not.

She was a poor swimmer and fining, etc wasn't 'optimised', lots of struggling. The (intermittent?) faulty equipment might contribute to her tireness.

But at least when the dive begin, everything was fine to me and no sign of potential failure.

stonefish35 said:
Anyway, a dive operator have no excuses for failure of regulator.:nono: Especially 1st stage.

Btw, that operator is still in existence. But it seems to me that their scale of operation seems small.

Well, no operator wants that to happen to their customer. And I've helped in washing the gears upon returning from dive trip. Looks ok to me. Of course the regular maintenance of the gear I won't know.

stonefish35 said:
Anyway, i'm really glad that your quick thinking and good training had saved your live :thumbsup:
Cheers to you

;p hurray next weekend doing the warm up trip to tioman. 2006 W.Msia dive season had opened .

Btw, you are an UW photographer too ??
hope to dive with you someday.

May be I was just lucky to have realised at that spilt second that I couldn't breath in water like on surface.

I wasn't a 'photographer' then. Only picked up photography after my first boy was born, while trying to take better pic of his, slowing venture into this another expensive hobby.

I hope to get wet too, but also because of my son (and now a daughter too), I've not dived since 2001. :cry:

WetWildinAur.jpg

:) ,

Hey, sad to hear you are unable to dive due to family commitments. But i'm sure playing with your 2 adorable kids are worth staying dry.:)

Haha, actually i'm not into photography initially. I got into diving 1st. Then the awesome marine life makes me want to capture the precious moments, and I started out in UW photography 1st, then slowly learn both land and UW skills. Steep learning curve for me :sweat: , still trying to figure out.. hee hee.. btw, nice pose, you did the superman pose before this ? :sweatsm:

hey guys, just reviving this post for abit...i'm interested in learning scuba diving but worried about eyesight problem. degree is about 600..bro says most would wear contacts, but for me i can only wear hard contacts which is incredibly irritating, and not to mention dangerous since it has almost gone to the side of my eye lids on more than one occasion..wouldn't want that to happen under water...

what other solutions could i consider?

thanks

HeWolf said:
Cheap and good would be islands along East Malaysia (Tioman, Aur, etc...). These locations almost become 'industrial standard'.

You got it all wrong. Tioman and Aur are both in Peninsula Malaysia (West Malaysia), not East Malaysia. East Malaysia consist of Sabah and Sarawak. One of best diving sites in the world is Sipadan in Sabah.:)

agentmonkey said:
hey guys, just reviving this post for abit...i'm interested in learning scuba diving but worried about eyesight problem. degree is about 600..bro says most would wear contacts, but for me i can only wear hard contacts which is incredibly irritating, and not to mention dangerous since it has almost gone to the side of my eye lids on more than one occasion..wouldn't want that to happen under water...

thanks

There are diving masks with prescription, just like swimming gogles.

that's good news! thanks man. now i just need to find a good place to go learn

agentmonkey said:

thanks

Is a medical condition preventing you from wearing daily disposable contact lens ? i'm 650 in 1 side, another side 750.i'm wearing dailies whenever i'm diving.

Take note if you are going to use prescription mask for diving. Once your mask if off you, you will be blind like a bat, just like me. There will be 3 situations that i feel you will need to take note.

1stly, 1 of the drills you will learn is mask retrieval.You take off your mask, hold it in your hand and stretch out ur hand. Then put it on again before clearing the water in your mask. If using prescription mask instead of contact lens, you will have to do this training, as good as blind.

2ndly, When on dive boat, you will need to wear your specs,until you gears up and wear ur mask. Its going to get messy onboard the boat, and it might not be easy to locate ur specs after u got back onboard after a dive

3rdly, most newbies, after surfacing from a dive, will like to put their mask on their forehead ( which is a terrible mistake , as 99% of them, will drop their mask into the sea ). If this happens to you, you will be blind on the surface swim back to the boat.

Another situation is that, after you get certified, you will be going on trips and doing leisure diving. Not all dives are boat dives. There are some shore dives, ie, entry from the shore in places like Bali. So where are you going to put ur specs at ? on the beach ? or in the dive centre by the beach ? if the 2nd option is ur choice, then u will need to walk from the dive centre to the pt of beach entry, wearing your mask ?

Anyway, whatever option you choose, take note of the above when using a precription mask. And take note, they are not cheap. And if you lost or need to upgrade ur mask, you will need to spend again on the prescription lens.

I'm happy with my daily disposable when i go diving. If choosing contacts, will recommend you dailies rather than using the monthly. Bcos of comfortness, hygenie and less hassle. :bsmilie:

Take care and enjoy your training dives. :)

i know of a few diving instructors, they are my friends dad..... hahahaa....they are conducting small classes once every year, train in singapore and the last dive at Tioman. :)

and if u wan. i know a few diving instructors from NDU. but er.... hahaha.. they will tell me.. aiyah.no time la...:bsmilie:

do they provide certification? after completing the course, you'll need to be certified with some dive body eg PADI, SSI, etc before you can just walk into dive resorts to rent dive equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.