where to learn more on lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is quite a skill to know what you need; it is obvious from the number of threads asking "which of these lenses should buy", that a lot of people have not yet acquired the skill. :bsmilie:

sorry...one more stupid question...
the 200mm lens which i asked previously (cant zoom),does it mean if i use that lens, it will show everything like i zoom it (200mm)??
Just make sure i get the concept right.

secondly,when someone mention wide lens...what is the benchmark?
anything below 35mm is consider wide lens?

Thank you again..and sorry for stupid question again...

sorry...one more stupid question...
the 200mm lens which i asked previously (cant zoom),does it mean if i use that lens, it will show everything like i zoom it (200mm)??
Just make sure i get the concept right.

Thank you again..and sorry for stupid question again...

Yes, it's the view from a 200mm zoom.

Wide? Can be as wide as 20mm or super-wide like 10mm.

Yes, it's the view from a 200mm zoom.

Wide? Can be as wide as 20mm or super-wide like 10mm.

thanks to all who replied to me....:)...it has been very useful to me...
i think i am getting the eos1000d....now is budget only...:)....need to factor in my dry box and camera bag also...

The benchmark between wide angle and zoom is the 50mm 'mark'. 50mm on a full frame digital camera or on an old film camera is "real size" - the object is neither magnified nor demagnified compared to what you see with naked eye. 50mm is considered as "normal lens".
Everything "shorter" (focal length below 50mm) is considered wide angle - your field of view becomes wider than normal. Everything "longer" than 50mm is a tele lens - the field of view is smaller than normal.
But as I mentioned: this applies to full frame cameras. DSLR with a smaller image sensor have the "crop factor" which leads to a change in the field of view. That means the mark for "normal lens" is shifted by the crop factor into the longer end. A 50mm lens on a camera with crop factor 1.6 shows the field of view of equivalent to an 80mm lens on a full frame camera (50mm x 1.6). More to read here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/dslr-mag.shtml

It is quite a skill to know what you need; it is obvious from the number of threads asking "which of these lenses should buy", that a lot of people have not yet acquired the skill. :bsmilie:
wahahahah so true... :p some points have been re-iterated and talked to death already yet they still pop up every now and then lol

Hi all,

very interested to upgrade to DSLR from pro consumer..but i dont quite understand those lens like 18-55mm what does it mean?
i like to take scenary pics

Where can i learn more on those wording's meaning?

Thank You
hey bro,

first things first! Congrats and also my deepest condolences for making this jump from 'prosumer'ship'!! hahah.. :) as mentioned, it is a long slippery slope to lighter wallets but brilliant pictures. :)

You went through exactly what I did a couple of years ago. Here are some sites to help start you off first..

www.the-digital-picture.com (this pertains to just Canon lenses, but this guy writes really really good reviews. No confusing MTF charts, just pure pictures to show you the difference.)
www.slrgear.com (this has a wide range of equipment reviews, though there are some that's lacking in a proper one.)
www.dpreview.com (this is one of the better review sites. I find this site a little confusing in terms of navigation though. Personal opinion. haha. :p)

In the meantime, do read up on all the relevant information, the basics of photography like aperture value, shutter speed and the corresponding exposure value. These can be found easily on the web :D A good site for this would be www.canon.com.sg , you'll need to hunt around a bit but there's a part that actually teaches you the very basics in a very simple and graphical manner. Can't exactly remember where haha..

Hope this information helps and please feel free to clarify any points you do not really understand, but only after you've done the research yourself. :D Happy reading!!

hey bro,

first things first! Congrats and also my deepest condolences for making this jump from 'prosumer'ship'!! hahah.. :) as mentioned, it is a long slippery slope to lighter wallets but brilliant pictures. :)

You went through exactly what I did a couple of years ago. Here are some sites to help start you off first..

www.the-digital-picture.com (this pertains to just Canon lenses, but this guy writes really really good reviews. No confusing MTF charts, just pure pictures to show you the difference.)
www.slrgear.com (this has a wide range of equipment reviews, though there are some that's lacking in a proper one.)
www.dpreview.com (this is one of the better review sites. I find this site a little confusing in terms of navigation though. Personal opinion. haha. :p)

In the meantime, do read up on all the relevant information, the basics of photography like aperture value, shutter speed and the corresponding exposure value. These can be found easily on the web :D A good site for this would be www.canon.com.sg , you'll need to hunt around a bit but there's a part that actually teaches you the very basics in a very simple and graphical manner. Can't exactly remember where haha..

Hope this information helps and please feel free to clarify any points you do not really understand, but only after you've done the research yourself. :D Happy reading!!

Thanks for the tips..........what camera are you using now?
I wonder is the kit lens good enough for my holiday trip..will be taking scenary and people....dont wanna lug a warehouse of stuff around during tour

Thanks for the tips..........what camera are you using now?
I wonder is the kit lens good enough for my holiday trip..will be taking scenary and people....dont wanna lug a warehouse of stuff around during tour
i'm currently using a 5D, a recent upgrade from my 20D. I've got several lenses, namely the 24-105 F4 IS, 50 F1.4, 300mm F4 IS, all for entirely different purposes. :)

Honestly, in my humble opinion, the kit lens is really good enough. You have 3 to choose from though, namely the 18-55, 17-85 and the recently launched 18-200. For walk around purposes, the 17-85 would be good enough, although some might argue that 18-200 would be a 'nice to have'. :D It's personal preference really. When I took my 24-105 overseas, I didn't recall a time a kicked myself for not having enough reach on my lens. :D

So it all depends on your personal preference. If you're unsure, the 18-200 would be your best bet. It's a tad more expensive, but with that range, at least you'll know exactly what focal range you're looking for when you intend to purchase your next lens (hopefully L heh heh :devil:)

Lastly, are you really intending to get the 1000D? If you are, could I recommend the 450D instead. It's just slightly more expensive but technologically, the 450D is way ahead. Do read up more on that. :)

When I took my 24-105 overseas, I didn't recall a time a kicked myself for not having enough reach on my lens. :D

Was that on your 5D or 20D?

Lastly, are you really intending to get the 1000D? If you are, could I recommend the 450D instead. It's just slightly more expensive but technologically, the 450D is way ahead. Do read up more on that. :)

To TS : see what I mean about long slippery slope? There's always something more expensive that is better performing (at least on paper) and budget keeps creeping up ;)

i'm currently using a 5D, a recent upgrade from my 20D. I've got several lenses, namely the 24-105 F4 IS, 50 F1.4, 300mm F4 IS, all for entirely different purposes. :)

Honestly, in my humble opinion, the kit lens is really good enough. You have 3 to choose from though, namely the 18-55, 17-85 and the recently launched 18-200. For walk around purposes, the 17-85 would be good enough, although some might argue that 18-200 would be a 'nice to have'. :D It's personal preference really. When I took my 24-105 overseas, I didn't recall a time a kicked myself for not having enough reach on my lens. :D

So it all depends on your personal preference. If you're unsure, the 18-200 would be your best bet. It's a tad more expensive, but with that range, at least you'll know exactly what focal range you're looking for when you intend to purchase your next lens (hopefully L heh heh :devil:)

oh no...things are starting to get out of budget...may need to put on hold...though would love to buy one before my holiday....
Feel that my prosumer is not giving me good pic in low light...normal daytime is quite good.

Was that on your 5D or 20D?

To TS : see what I mean about long slippery slope? There's always something more expensive that is better performing (at least on paper) and budget keeps creeping up ;)
hahaha that was on my 20D. So speaking of equivalents, the 18-200 would be a better choice. I chose the 17-85 over the former simply because I would expect it to perform much better optically, not to mention it being slightly wider on the wide end. :) As I said earlier, this is my personal opinion as I already know what I want in terms of focal length and optical performance. :)

oh no...things are starting to get out of budget...may need to put on hold...though would love to buy one before my holiday....
Feel that my prosumer is not giving me good pic in low light...normal daytime is quite good.
well dude there is a cheaper alternative. Since you are using a prosumer now, try to actively know what focal lengths do you generally shoot at. This would save you money on the 'experimental phase' and go straight for cheaper primes. I also noticed you mentioned 'low light' photography. Zoom lenses with large aperture values are exponentially more expensive than the smaller aperture counterparts i.e. F2.8 vs F4. The cheaper 'low light' alternatives are usually primes, with lenses like 35 F2, 50 F1.8, 50 F1.4, 85 F1.8 :)

If you find yourself using these focal ranges more often than not, it will actually be cheaper for you to purchase the body first, after which, purchase a prime. Be nice to your wallet haha.

went to tried canon eos 1000d...first time using dslr(only use slr before...a very very old model)....and was quite impress with it.....but is only from LCD...at least the pics turn out to be what i expected after i change the setting(shutter speed,aperture,iso....playing around)....

very gian....:)....

If you have been using digital cam most probably shall be used to live view. It helps a lot without having to rely on checking the exposure meter in the viewfinder to acertain if you get the desired exposure. If you do get older dslr models without live view you have to get familiar and get to the sweet spot for each and every differnt type of lenses you may mount on the cam. Its a challenge if you look at it the positive way, a challenge to shoot just like a 'blind' skilled swordsman.

well dude there is a cheaper alternative. Since you are using a prosumer now, try to actively know what focal lengths do you generally shoot at. This would save you money on the 'experimental phase' and go straight for cheaper primes. I also noticed you mentioned 'low light' photography. Zoom lenses with large aperture values are exponentially more expensive than the smaller aperture counterparts i.e. F2.8 vs F4. The cheaper 'low light' alternatives are usually primes, with lenses like 35 F2, 50 F1.8, 50 F1.4, 85 F1.8 :)

If you find yourself using these focal ranges more often than not, it will actually be cheaper for you to purchase the body first, after which, purchase a prime. Be nice to your wallet haha.

i never really care about the focal length(until now)..cause using FZ5..just zoom to the distance i like..:)...but i do love scenary and always find my lens not wide enough...have to step back a lot still cannot achieve what i want.. :)
I really have to reconsider as...i am tight on budget..having spend a bomb on my tour..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.