When Newbies Ask For Help in NEWBIES CORNER ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to have OT from the thread people .
Anyway thumbs up once again to ed for the initative

Sorry to have OT from the thread people .
Anyway thumbs up once again to ed for the initative

Yes, you always OT, attack me directly, and then think a "sorry for the OT" always covers it up. Don't troll in the first place.

argh .. finally you get it Rashkae , respect the mods , respect your fellow members .
There is still hope..

From a neutral point of view (I do not personally know Rashkae or you), I find it amusing that you accuse Rashkae of heckling/trolling newbies & yet you're doing the exact same thing that you profess to find undesirable. To fair to Rashkae I can tell from his posts that even though he can be a bit harsh sometimes, he's simply standing on principle.

There's no need to troll his posts in this way. Live & let live & practice what you preach. :)

From a neutral point of view (I do not personally know Rashkae or you), I find it amusing that you accuse Rashkae of heckling/trolling newbies & yet you're doing the exact same thing that you profess to find undesirable. To fair to Rashkae I can tell from his posts that even though he can be a bit harsh sometimes, he's simply standing on principle.

There's no need to troll his posts in this way. Live & let live & practice what you preach. :)

apologies once again

Thanks. :)

Yes, I can be very blunt, this is true.

If the decision by CS mods is that newbies should not be given the blunt truth treatment but kid glove/cotton ball treatment then I'll respect that.

People come in all types. Just because one person is stubborn and refuses to use the search function, should we make him feel like he's the most retarded person on the planet?

People learn in different ways. Some are more independent and search information on their own. Some are not so tech savvy and just choose to ask questions in forums. Some of these people will sometimes get too excited when they get answers and forget that they can search for further information if they need.

There is no need to be nasty to people to get your point across. If you can't put your argument through without being nasty, you're just not good enough. Perhaps you should then Google on how to put forth an argument nicely. You can achieve similar effects in different ways. Being nasty is just the easy way out.

ed9119 said:
5 pages of civil discussion on a 'hot' topic in Kopitiam is ..... ha ha..... impressive

ok moving this thread over to Newbies Corner in 2 hours ... say your peace before the thread is closed

Thanks for the feedback on both sides regarding this matter, its truly appreciated :)

Finally. Let's move on.

Rashkae said:
Yes, you always OT, attack me directly, and then think a "sorry for the OT" always covers it up. Don't troll in the first place.

stuck said:

lobsterkia said:
apologies once again

Chill la people. Just be like me. Can joke about anything and everything under the sun xD

Just walk away , there are other things in life to spend your time on .
I would rather make a cup of coffee for myself than click on the reply button , type " hey buffon , dont you know that the search button exists for a function"
I would rather check out the latest Gmarket deals than go and create a let me google that for you url, click on the reply button , paste the url and type " hey let me make a clown of you"

Just ignore and walk away ....

You have brought up a lot of polarized views here in this thread.

I didn't say to mock them. I just said: What's wrong with putting the "Google is good" in a nice way - for example: "hey look here, this information is quite easy to find. I've found out some for you and I'm posting it here, but you might wish to note that Google might have gotten you the answer much quicker... And you can try that also next time".

CS isn't just 2 groups with the first being "oh dear newbie, I am here to be your little guardian angel" and the second being "oh you're a silly buffon and a clown, let me mock you like I'm Loki and you are Thor." To me these 2 groups are just ridiculous, especially when the "guardian angel" starts to take on Mini-Mod roles and tells everyone else what to do and what not to do while adding to a whole load of OT within a thread which isn't about how to treat newbies in the first place. That seems to happen a lot here sadly, and only the hapless newbies suffer.

Life's not all black and white. It IS possible to have a middle ground between the two which I would like to think is acceptable and perfectly logical and polite. Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks. :)

Yes, I can be very blunt, this is true.

If the decision by CS mods is that newbies should not be given the blunt truth treatment but kid glove/cotton ball treatment then I'll respect that.

Hi Rashkae,

I know you are very blunt at times. But I've also seen you helping newbie patiently and seriously as a newbie, I hope you continue doing that just try to use a softer tone so no one feels offended. Like you said, spoon feeding is not the way to go but if you teach ppl how to fish in a positive way that would be great isn't it?

Please pls do not be mistaken that I'm pointing at you, I'm quoting your thread b'cos you said "Yes, I can be very blunt, this is true."

Cheers :)

Hi Rashkae,

I know you are very blunt at times. But I've also seen you helping newbie patiently and seriously as a newbie, I hope you continue doing that just try to use a softer tone so no one feels offended. Like you said, spoon feeding is not the way to go but if you teach ppl how to fish in a positive way that would be great isn't it?

Please pls do not be mistaken that I'm pointing at you, I'm quoting your thread b'cos you said "Yes, I can be very blunt, this is true."

Cheers :)

Thanks! If I can see that a newbie really wants to learn and not just be spoonfed, I happily help...

But yes, lately there are several users who even admitted to only creating an account to go after me in newbie threads. So no matter which approach I use, they pop up, but I'm the one who receives the infractions. Might as well stop helping entirely. :)

I think that's the heart of the whole discussion - do we keep silent, or do we try to poke them in a more "learn to fish" direction.

Haha... Well, yes Rashkae... I guess sometimes it's also good to give a softer touch.

After a long time here, I think being blunt doesn't quite work here. You can be blunt and help, but a lot of onlookers may take it the wrong way, and think that you're using it to bully, cajole, or raise yourself to a new level... Well, you also can't deny that with a softer touch we WOULD avoid a lot of the OT talk about walking away, etc etc. There is a thin fine line between stating your mind very curtly and putting out a post that may agitate others... And our standards WILL differ, because we are all different. Perhaps it may be much productive for CS as a whole if we all erred on the side of caution and give a little space from that line in all our posts, because I am a little tired of seeing all the banter about whether it's the right way to post or not... And I also don't want to point out that it doesn't help the threadstarters, since that'd also add to the already long list of useless irrelevant posts there. :bsmilie:

Kudos to Rashkae, he is someone who standby his principles and help true newbies genuinely.

you should have your own fan club, I am in.

ICPIXELS said:
Kudos to Rashkae, he is someone who standby his principles and help true newbies genuinely.

you should have your own fan club, I am in.

Salute to rashkae

Thanks! If I can see that a newbie really wants to learn and not just be spoonfed, I happily help...

But yes, lately there are several users who even admitted to only creating an account to go after me in newbie threads. So no matter which approach I use, they pop up, but I'm the one who receives the infractions. Might as well stop helping entirely. :)

thats an entirely different matter altogether

your 2 constant stalkers will be dealt with soon enough

NEWBIES TAKE NOTE:...... below are questions that NEWBIES in a DIFFERENT HOBBY ask of forum members ...... strive for this

-------------------------

In the local FISH KEEPING forums, examples of Newbie and old bird interactions below ....

Old Bird "....you can try adding in a branch of hygrophilia, and even the anubias afzelii would be a good addition...."

or

Newbie "....I noticed yesterday that the frogbits on top are turning yellow but I have 5 39w lights which bring to 2.17 wpg and moreover they catches the light much more than the plants below so what is the cause of this ? Is this due to my tank is still under the cycling process which lack of nutrients or something else ?....."

and newbies there tend to ask generally serious questions .... more examples.....

Newbie "I have planted glosso a week ago and so far no a few leaves are growing upwards and the rest are either stagnant or rotting which leave me to consider planting other type of foreground plants like HG or Staurogyne. I went to seaview on sun and saw some packs of Elatine Triandra which may also be my choice foreground plant. ... "

Newbie ".....One question is that do I need to take out all the glosso which are in my tank now or I just need to plant the new plants and it will cover up the glosso later....."

Newbie ".... I noticed yesterday that the frogbits on top are turning yellow but I have 5 39w lights which bring to 2.17 wpg and moreover they catches the light much more than the plants below so what is the cause of this ? Is this due to my tank is still under the cycling process which lack of nutrients or something else ? Thanks alot for more info. "

---------------------------------

You think photography hobbyist newbies have it tough? You will sink like a rock in an aquarists' forum !!![/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.