WHATS NEXT FOR M43, after Olympus, what future is left?

Looks good actually. It's Syn IS and weather proof and able to use Mc14/MC20 . But looks like not an internal zoom lens. Clearly it's a Sigma rebrand lens and with 25 elements, it is the sport version (higher spec) rather than the Contemporary verison.
It cost CA$3000.

The Local DIstributor for OM Systems is Master D'Imaging. https://www.master-d.com.sg/
When I visited them to test and buy the OM-1 and 8-25 lenses, they are located at Sim Lim Sq.
They are now located at 119 Ubi Avenue 4.

I heard that Master D'Imaging is owned by ALan Photo, so you can probably buy it there.
The other shop which a number of photographers bought their OM-1 from is MS Color.
And the other few I knew bought overseas.

OM Systems / Olympus is a rather niche camera, and a lot of shops do not keep stock but can order the items you need for you.
If are interested to test, you can join one of the Olympus PhotoWalks. Worth it to sign up as a Olympus Club member.
I usually join their Photowalks to test out the lenses,

You can PM me if you need anymore info.

Note: I am not related to any of the companies above. I am just a user who enjoyed using Olympus.
Thanks for the info. I am not likely to buy m43 cameras in sg as I feel that the price is too steep. nevertheless, I am consider either the om5 or em10.

Looks good actually. It's Syn IS and weather proof and able to use Mc14/MC20 . But looks like not an internal zoom lens. Clearly it's a Sigma rebrand lens and with 25 elements, it is the sport version (higher spec) rather than the Contemporary verison.
It cost CA$3000.

It may well be OMDS just ask sigma to rebrand it's 150 - 600 sport but with some cosmetic and styling changes. For sure there is no focus scale window so perhaps the toolings are new or modded. But my question is will OMDS share it's sync IS with sigma or under non disclosure agreement? For sure either sigma or OMDS suggested the cosmetic "improvements" that give that omds signature look.
Especially the redesign of the rubber focusing ring with groves that look like a machined metal part than a rubber moulded one or is it a real metal part. A picture is worth a thousand words. The lens foot is "identical".

Sigma rubber moulded focus ring
courtesy of dp review.

1706327558025.png

Sexy OMDS

1706327652430.png

Comparison of sigma contemporary and sport lenses.

1706327774419.png

Comparison of both front lens diameter. 😱

1706327853608.png

It's a huge lens as the italian whisperer said. But seriously I think OMDS only ordered the lens parts and assemblies from sigma as what most Japanese companies do and assemble them in house in Vietnam. That way the technology remains "secret". Judging from the photos I think personally it's not the sport but the contemporary model since it's not a pro lens which contradict what the Italian said.🤔 But then again OMDS being a business why not let sigma do the complete lens?

Last edited:
Exciting news tomorrow jan30 but we are 8 hrs. ahead of GMT.
He say OMDS must change their game as this announcement is nothing earth shattering. Seems like my report is ahead but then we are 8 hrs. ahead.😃 Also if lens is identical to sigma there is no Sync IS which is a bummer.😑

Seems that the license for OMDS to use Olympus brand is over. So just like the EM5 to OM5, OMDS took the opportunity to update the OM-1 to mk2 and put in some affordable minor upgrades without changing the outer shell. Will wait for reviews to see how much improved is the Focusing & Human Recognition.
I am sure Sony is more than willing to rent some technology to OMDS. After all Sony is supplying the OM-1 Sensor to OMDS and it is in Sony interest that OMDS sells more camera.

For the 150 to 600mm, read that it will have Sync IS. My only gripe is that it is not so heavy but lighter than the 150-400 (less than 1800g).

Nothing is going to be "earth shattering" nowadays for phones and cameras, especially from smaller manufacturers with not much budget for R&D.

Even Sony A9 iii with Global Shutter is brushed aside by quite a few Sony users. It is not earth shattering and did not entice Sony users to upgrade.
Exciting news tomorrow jan30 but we are 8 hrs. ahead of GMT.
He say OMDS must change their game as this announcement is nothing earth shattering. Seems like my report is ahead but then we are 8 hrs. ahead.😃 Also if lens is identical to sigma there is no Sync IS which is a bummer.😑

Seems that the license for OMDS to use Olympus brand is over. So just like the EM5 to OM5, OMDS took the opportunity to update the OM-1 to mk2 and put in some affordable minor upgrades without changing the outer shell. Will wait for reviews to see how much improved is the Focusing & Human Recognition.
I am sure Sony is more than willing to rent some technology to OMDS. After all Sony is supplying the OM-1 Sensor to OMDS and it is in Sony interest that OMDS sells more camera.

For the 150 to 600mm, read that it will have Sync IS. My only gripe is that it is not so heavy but lighter than the 150-400 (less than 1800g).

Nothing is going to be "earth shattering" nowadays for phones and cameras, especially from smaller manufacturers with not much budget for R&D.

Even Sony A9 iii with Global Shutter is brushed aside by quite a few Sony users. It is not earth shattering and did not entice Sony users to upgrade.

I believe you got info from 43Rumours which I linked with his videos. He said OMDS announcement will be 6:00 am London time which is 8hours behind sg so 2pm. Sg. time I wonder how accurate his prediction or leaks. Well we are going to find out. At the end of his blog he has this disclaimer...
He will be doing live blog of this?

Disclaimer: 43Rumors has no affiliation with any of the equipment manufacturers mentioned on this site. Please visit their official websites by typing the specific brand name and adding .com after it in your browser. All trademarks and brands belong to their respective owners.

Here is the definition of the word “rumor” according to Merriam Webster dictionary:

Date: 14th century
1: talk or opinion widely disseminated with no discernible source
2: a statement or report current without known authority for its truth
3 archaic : talk or report of a notable person or event

Last edited:
Yes, most of my info is from 43rumors.
But if you go thru their website, most of their "news" are actually not rumors.
There is no point in building a website if everything posted did not materialize.
After a while, the readers will all go away.

Anyway, it only make sense for OMDS to put Sync IS into the new 150-600 lenses.
I was with Olympus Birding Workshop some time back and many users are lamenting on the Panasonic 100-400
that the Sync IS do not work with. I am sure OMDS is aware of this.
And for me this is the biggest deal breaker if it does not has Sync IS.

I believe you got info from 43Rumours which I linked with his videos. He said OMDS announcement will be 6:00 am London time which is 8hours behind sg so 2pm. Sg. time I wonder how accurate his prediction or leaks. Well we are going to find out. At the end of his blog he has this disclaimer...
He will be doing live blog of this?

Disclaimer: 43Rumors has no affiliation with any of the equipment manufacturers mentioned on this site. Please visit their official websites by typing the specific brand name and adding .com after it in your browser. All trademarks and brands belong to their respective owners.

Here is the definition of the word “rumor” according to Merriam Webster dictionary:

Date: 14th century
1: talk or opinion widely disseminated with no discernible source
2: a statement or report current without known authority for its truth
3 archaic : talk or report of a notable person or event

Yes, most of my info is from 43rumors.
But if you go thru their website, most of their "news" are actually not rumors.
There is no point in building a website if everything posted did not materialize.
After a while, the readers will all go away.

Anyway, it only make sense for OMDS to put Sync IS into the new 150-600 lenses.
I was with Olympus Birding Workshop some time back and many users are lamenting on the Panasonic 100-400
that the Sync IS do not work with. I am sure OMDS is aware of this.
And for me this is the biggest deal breaker if it does not has Sync IS.

That's what I said previously..will OMDS share it's Sync IS technology with Panasonic , OMDS rival. Well by 2pm. Sg. time we will know if OMDS or it's business partners will make the announcement. ✌️Whatever the details.

Here is the news release of the OM1-ii from B&H.
Although subject detection has been expanded, there is no mention that AF is improved for low light scenarios.
Although there is so work around, it would be nice if OMDS can figure out how Sony did that.

Having said that, I was recently in a studio photo course where some students requested that the lecturer turn on the lights to let them lock their focus first.
My Sony A7CR have no problem locking the focus in dim light, but it seems that the rest of the cameras (no Olympus or OMDS but other brands) is not able to lock their focus too. My only gripe when using the OM-1 for night scenes is sometimes I have to switch to manual focus, not a deal breaker but nice to have better AF. Was hoping that OM-1 mk2 improve this issue.

Last edited:
Comprehensive review of OM-1 Mk2. I am salivating.
I was wrong, the review show that the focusing system of the OM-1 mk2 is very much improved.

Last edited:
Unbeknown to all rumour mongers OMDS secretly loaned Thomas om1 MK2 for a year to test on. I had linked his videos before but nobody paid attention except OMDS. That's why he can post a review in the first hours of OMDS announcement. Now all we need is a wildlife and bird shooting review to confirm that omds and the Olympus talent that was brought over to once again prove that given the right emphasis and concentration of effort m43 can indeed prove that the format can do a photographic job well. Now Robin Wong cannot say MK2 has nothing that his older cameras cannot do and die die must get MK2 although Thomas is generous to say you don't need MK2 to do any photographic genre. But now gear does matter. OMDS has pipped canon R1 to the 2024 Olympics in France. Bravo! 👏

To some, the OM-1 MK2 is only a minor upgrade and do not justify to get it especially if you already have the OM-1.
And of course you don't need the Mk2 to do any photograhic genre.

But to me the improvements are huge.
1. I did not know previous Olympus /OMDS cameras shoot in only 12 bit RAW and not 14bit. OM-1 mk2 with 14 bit is great.
2. The improvement in the AF and Subject ID is great for improving hit rate.
3. Improved Live ND and GND. Wow! For Landscape like me who sometimes too lazy to bring my filter kit, this is a life saver.

I have been using my OM-1 for Wildlife and my Sony for Landscape and Portraits. Now I am so tempted to get the OM-1 Mk2 to do everything. :cool:
Unbeknown to all rumour mongers OMDS secretly loaned Thomas om1 MK2 for a year to test on. I had linked his videos before but nobody paid attention except OMDS. That's why he can post a review in the first hours of OMDS announcement. Now all we need is a wildlife and bird shooting review to confirm that omds and the Olympus talent that was brought over to once again prove that given the right emphasis and concentration of effort m43 can indeed prove that the format can do a photographic job well. Now Robin Wong cannot say MK2 has nothing that his older cameras cannot do and die die must get MK2 although Thomas is generous to say you don't need MK2 to do any photographic genre. But now gear does matter. OMDS has pipped canon R1 to the 2024 Olympics in France. Bravo! 👏

To some, the OM-1 MK2 is only a minor upgrade and do not justify to get it especially if you already have the OM-1.
And of course you don't need the Mk2 to do any photograhic genre.

But to me the improvements are huge.
1. I did not know previous Olympus /OMDS cameras shoot in only 12 bit RAW and not 14bit. OM-1 mk2 with 14 bit is great.
2. The improvement in the AF and Subject ID is great for improving hit rate.
3. Improved Live ND and GND. Wow! For Landscape like me who sometimes too lazy to bring my filter kit, this is a life saver.

I have been using my OM-1 for Wildlife and my Sony for Landscape and Portraits. Now I am so tempted to get the OM-1 Mk2 to do everything. :cool:

You definitely should get OM1 MK2. 😂 It's more cost effective than other flagship cameras. Still I wonder why OMDS did not produce ahead rather than accepting preorders. Have they no confidence OM1 MK2 is a winner and game changer? 🤔

Edit: plus OM1 MK2 has software support of OMDS with their editing workflow so consumers do not need to wait for the usual editing software companies to provide 14 bit file support . 👍
Thread views have crossed 83k. ✌️🤗

Last edited:
OM Systems is now ran by JIP and do batch manufacturing. Like the OM-1, the 150-400 F4.5 etc,, collecting Pre Orders will enable them to project the qty to manufacture for each batch. I have no doubt the OM1 Mk2 is a winner, especially with all the M43 currently available and even among other brands, depending on what features are useful to each photographer. But just like the Sony A9iii I doubt it is going to be a Game Changer.
You definitely should get OM1 MK2. 😂 It's more cost effective than other flagship cameras. Still I wonder why OMDS did not produce ahead rather than accepting preorders. Have they no confidence OM1 MK2 is a winner and game changer? 🤔

Edit: plus OM1 MK2 has software support of OMDS with their editing workflow so consumers do not need to wait for the usual editing software companies to provide 14 bit file support . 👍
Thread views have crossed 83k. ✌️🤗

OM Systems is now ran by JIP and do batch manufacturing. Like the OM-1, the 150-400 F4.5 etc,, collecting Pre Orders will enable them to project the qty to manufacture for each batch. I have no doubt the OM1 Mk2 is a winner, especially with all the M43 currently available and even among other brands, depending on what features are useful to each photographer. But just like the Sony A9iii I doubt it is going to be a Game Changer.

Game changer in the sense that OM1 MK2 incorporated cinema camera techniques like the live ND features with a maximum of 128. Like Thomas said he will post a video of the video capabilities of MK2. It is exciting because the upgraded memory and algorithms make video easier plus the increased dynamic range of 14 bit, of course panasonic is stronger in this department but with a true stills and video capabilities MK2 will be an attractive option. Panasonic will have a worthy opponent.

Wow! If OM-1 mk2 allows the Live ND to be used on video, my son and me will ran out to get one.
Currently we are struggling with getting Variable ND filters for each of the lens we use for video on our Sony Camera!

Just Kidding :cool: OM-1 Mk2 is on pre-order only at the moment and need to check wallet too LOL

Excellent preview of OM1 MK2 by Jimmy Cheng OMDS ambassador.
High lights..@ 4:37 doubled buffer size faster than G9 MK2. One of the fastest SD card writing in the industry.

@ 7:15 improved human and eye auto focus. Boon for wedding photographers.

@ 9:08 new computational feature live GRADUATED filter for balanced exposure.

@ 12:43 video features.

Despite what cynics say that 150 - 600mm lens is a rebranded Sigma lens, it has OMDS improved lens elements and coating. It is sharp and clinical as Jimmy Cheng described. Judge for yourself. It makes business sense for OMDS to survive in the tough camera market to contract out to save on R&D.

Former ambassador does not burn his bridges but offers advice forward for OMDS to improve on video capabilities.

As long as a photographer do not expect to use the OM-1 Mk2 for every single photo genre and application, I think the OM-1 / OM-1 Mk 2 is the ideal camera for Wildlife, Light Trails / Painting etc.

For example, there are definitely better cameras for Portraits, videos etc.

Even big companies like Sony to not put all the best video features into their flagship A7Rv or A9iii.
You can probably use most cameras for all types of photography and video but just have to use some work arounds or compromise.

Although like all users, I wished OM Systems to provide more improvements on the video capabilities but I felt it is good enough at the moment, as my main application for this camera ,will be for birding / wildlife and maybe even travel landscapes with the building ND and GND filters.

Sure die.
Minor changes sold as a new model.
Taking a Sigma and selling as an OMDS lens. How sad is that?
US$2399?
This useless thing is aimed at those with Sunken Costs.

Have to forgive Red35 - he is forced to say it is good as an ambassador. Or else he will be FIRED.

Who is going to buy a camera branded OM System?

New buyers who can spend US$2399 have plenty of much better alternative brands.

At 11:39 Tony Northrup asks " OM, U OK?"
Meaning to say - Are you guys Freaking Insane?