WHATS NEXT FOR M43, after Olympus, what future is left?

Strange that you say the EPL-9 does not work with the lumix 20mm. I know it works with Olympus and Panny mft bodies past and present. It's one of my early mft lens. It's not the fastest AF but it small and bright.

7869265622_50d0590aae_w.jpg

Shot this way back in 2012 with an EM5mk1 and the 20mm lens

6299158010_81248ec047_w.jpg

GF2 with the 20mm in 2011
It work but the AF was slow. If it is a paid shoot, I am still ok. But when I approach a stranger and ask if I can take her photo, it is quite embarrassing that the AF went jackhammering.

To be fair, the weather was quite cloudy and dark.

Maybe the AF Assist lamp on your EPL-9 is faulty. If the Lumix 20mm works on your OM-1, it should work on the EPL-9 too.
I have not heard of any issues of Lumix prime lenses without IS having issues on Olympus Cameras so far.

It work but the AF was slow. If it is a paid shoot, I am still ok. But when I approach a stranger and ask if I can take her photo, it is quite embarrassing that the AF went jackhammering.

To be fair, the weather was quite cloudy and dark.

Yep, the Lumix 20mm lenses is a 2009 lenses I think. Compatibility aside, technology would have progress a lot too. That is why manufacturers come out with Mk2 lenses to give their users a better experience.

Having said that, it is also possible to shoot 20mm using manual mode in street photography.
Using a aperture of about F8 on a wide angle lenses gives tremendous depth of field, especially on M43 cameras,
Try setting a focus distance eg. 3m or more you probably have everything in focus.
You have to experiment a bit to get the ideal focal length or use a DOF app.

That Lumix 20mm is painfully slow.

Don't think there is much difference in the AF speed between the mk1 and mk2. I stand to be corrected in this.

Don't think there is much difference in the AF speed between the mk1 and mk2. I stand to be corrected in this.

You asked for it! 😁 But it's not conclusive as the MK2 has it's glitches but I think OP experienced something like at 1.20. It depends on the contrast in the scene. Lumix G7 + 20mm.
It helps to prefocus if there is a focus ring.

Here is one with Olympus pen f a much higher performance body with 20mm MK1 I think. He says focus is great and sharp.

Thread views have crossed 96k. ✌️

Last edited:

And nobody acknowledges that cropped sensor like m43 or APSC did a better job than to crop a FF.

He is also a judge in wildlife photo competition, who has more credibility but only half the angmoh's subscribers who will not use click bait titles to attract views.

See what it takes to be our own wildlife award winning photographer. Is he carrying a small lens.🤣 Angmoh only bird talk.

And nobody acknowledges that cropped sensor like m43 or APSC did a better job than to crop a FF.

Last edited:
I have seen photos from a friend that captured an eagle swooping down with only a 70-200 lenses.
Question is not the gear, but how often you get such opportunities to be near enough the target.
I have not gone to extent to camouflage my lenses and attire yet, but I noticed that skittish birds or animals do move away the moment I came near, even though I walked like a ninja! A longer focal length certainly helps!!!! But that is provided you are able to handle it.

Even for a reasonable lenses like the Sony 200-600, quite a few of them find it to heavy to bring around. Look at how often it is on sale LOL
Unless I am mostly stationary and mount my camera and lenses on a tripod, for trekking in a nature park, I prefer to use only my Olympus 100-400 (which reaches up to 800mm). I know, there is a slight compromise in image quality, but I prefer to enjoy my nature walk. Of course there are always younger and fitter photographers that can carry heavier gear, just let them be :cool:

Singapore birders don't care to camouflage themselves as long as they can get the shot. Last year word got around and they swooped in at a carpark for about over a month, everyday harassing parent and baby until the baby bird got wings to fly away like it's parents never to return again.

Whether you wear camouflage or not is a personal decision as I have a friend who is a photographic judge and trainer who wears bright fluorescent tops like red or lime green who goes about shooting birds and insects but he spends hours walking alone around neighbourhood parks. Are you a wildlife harasser or nature lover?

birders-watching-bird-e1680694466868.jpg

I have seen photos from a friend that captured an eagle swooping down with only a 70-200 lenses.
Question is not the gear, but how often you get such opportunities to be near enough the target.
I have not gone to extent to camouflage my lenses and attire yet, but I noticed that skittish birds or animals do move away the moment I came near, even though I walked like a ninja! A longer focal length certainly helps!!!! But that is provided you are able to handle it.

Even for a reasonable lenses like the Sony 200-600, quite a few of them find it to heavy to bring around. Look at how often it is on sale LOL
Unless I am mostly stationary and mount my camera and lenses on a tripod, for trekking in a nature park, I prefer to use only my Olympus 100-400 (which reaches up to 800mm). I know, there is a slight compromise in image quality, but I prefer to enjoy my nature walk. Of course there are always younger and fitter photographers that can carry heavier gear, just let them be :cool:

2 days ago. He says Panasonic Lumix may make a full frame compact. Maybe to compete with Fuji X100 VI?
Sony already has RX1R Mk2.
If that is true then it means in 2024 and onwards, Panasonic Lumix will favour Full Frame and quietly neglect MFT. (stealth discontinue)

Er.... have you been following Panasonic closely or are you just randomly attacking MFT?

The Full Frame compact Panasonic announced is likely to be a fixed lenses full frame,
it is meant to provide an alternative to Fuji X100VI.

Panasonic has also just released the MFT G9ii and announced the GH7.
They did not say they are going to put aside MFT.
The G9ii has received very good reviews and some say better than OM-1.
Why would Panasonic ignore that? Especially after they just developed subject AI?
They are also going to target the wildlife market (mentioned in earlier announcements)

@ricohflex How did you conclude that Panasonic is going to ignore MFT?

2 days ago. He says Panasonic Lumix may make a full frame compact. Maybe to compete with Fuji X100 VI?
Sony already has RX1R Mk2.
If that is true then it means in 2024 and onwards, Panasonic Lumix will favour Full Frame and quietly neglect MFT. (stealth discontinue)