What RF camera are you using today ?

raytoei

Jan 14, 2010
Sorry for starting yet another thread.

I know quite a few of us shoot fairly often and with varied gear.

I wanted to start this thread to ask brudders what camera and lens combo are u using today ?

I will start with:

Minox GSE camera, world's smallest film camera.

It is a scale focused, ie. you have to estimate the distance, this is a precursor to rangefinders,
which if you think about RF cameras are also distance focused,
except that there is a coupled RF built-in.

As my scale focusing estimation is quite bad, i am shooting most of the stuff at f8, even indoors.

The camera has a several green dots which if aligned should shoot at f8, and about 4m away, this
makes everything from 2.5m to 20m in focus.

The film is tri-x and neopan 400, pushed to 1600.

Brought this to my business trip today, will be home by Thursday. Hope the picture works out.

I agonized over what camera to bring to this biz trip, from my m to my kiev and even the FM was
also considered. In the end, size won out, even though my last two rolls from this camera
was quite blurry, which i do not know if it is my poor estimation or camera defect. oh well, nothing like
being forced to use a camera for 4 days to really know the camera.

MINOX.JPG

captured on my bb camera.

So what camera/lens combo do you have on you now ?

Last edited:
For me, I shoot mainly with my Mamiya 7II with the 43mm, 65mm, 80mm and 150mm lenses. That is the perfect combo for me with a very well spaced set of focal lengths on MF film, in a compact package.

If there are any cons, that would be the lack of a shift lens and the difficulty of not being able to see the actual perspective in the viewfinder, which can be very misleading. For example, the 43mm ext. viewfinder has a perspective of a 20mm lens(my opinion) but alas, the perspective on film is still 40mm with a wider FOV.. end up the shots don't turn out the way I would like them to be which can get quite frustrating at times.. so a conscious effort is needed to imagine what the real perspective is like all the time..

The camera i most often use is M2 with Zeiss Biogon ZM f2.8 lens.
I find it's the best combo for me for my current budget right now.

M9P + Lux 35mm is what i hope to be using in the near future.

i don't have many cameras or lens to choose from but i'll be out later with my m2 and voigtlander 35mm f1.2 v2 for a little walkabout. :)

MP + bokeh king (v4)

Having sold off my M2 a few months ago, I missed having a chrome body in my lineup, managed to get a user chrome M4 to replace it recently. Dent on the top plate, but doesn't affect function.

Lens is also a user, modified it to have 0.7m close focus, hood is original but battle worn. User condition = Love.

One of the lightest setups, body, lens, lightmeter and film in a small bag, and you're good to go for the entire day. Sure is a big difference from the normal LF setup I use.

M4 + 35 lux pre-asph

mamypoko:

very nice setup.

when it gets modded for close-focus, does it affect the Inf ?

raytoei

Hey raytoei,

There are 2 screws, one for the infinity and 1 for close focus, I removed one of the limiting screws for close focus, the locking shim inside will be loose though. Infinity is not affected.

The lens won't turn itself out as there is another 2 bars inside holding the heliocoid and lens array together.

Accidentally found out about it when I was trying to disassemble the lens for cleaning, still figuring out how to take out the shim inside for safekeeping.

No ill effects so far! Been using it for about 3 months this way.

Sample image with closer focus at top. Shot with M8.

mamypoko:

very nice setup.

when it gets modded for close-focus, does it affect the Inf ?

raytoei

Last edited:
For Rf, i love my M2 with the canon lenses...which i find them full of surprise even down to the 50 f1.8 ltm lens

For medium format, im hooked to my bronica SQ-Ai....

no camera. Just my eyes!:)

infanta-small.jpg

After 3 days and 3 rolls on my Minox, today I will shoot with the R-D1.

However, I will shoot without preview.

raytoei

M2 with a borrowed 50 cron today!

m9 with my e58 noct ever since i got it from trade never really took it off the camera.. haha.

hoping to get an m3 ss soon though (probably in hk this early apr) as a spare body / try film lol.

Polaroid 195 with FP3000B today. armed with LED lights and flash in case needed.

GXR+35Lux as lightmeter (lent my sekonic to a friend) ;p

Polaroid 195 with FP3000B today. armed with LED lights and flash in case needed.

GXR+35Lux as lightmeter (lent my sekonic to a friend) ;p

I should bring my Polaroid out for a spin tmr too :eek:

Me too! I think I still have 100B film left inside for a while already.

remmeber u were looking at the konica instant press? u got it??

Wat polariod can take a full size fp100c?