What makes you opt for other brand instead of Canon or Nikon DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
So go for the system that works for you...forget about those buuzzing flies around you :bsmilie:

buzzing flies means "bullsh!t is somewhere near" heh.......ok I as a fan and a user of SLR /DSLR Canon/Nikon not forgetting a minolta "memory maker" user....all i can say that branding issues like this are as close as racism issue......why fighting the brand? ....I always say to my wife that it all depend on how YOU take the pictures....and at the end of the day, most of YOUR pictures will be tweaked using Photoshop no matter what camera U use....cameras are like cars and photoshop is the road....as an example, people may like Kia, Hyundai,subaru, misubishi, mazda, ferrari...so why the need to drive a ferrari if only to pay more road tax and the max speed in singapore is 90km/h?? its like you're not fully ustilising the car...there will be no end for branding issues.....and lastly read reviews and specification of cameras, follow your budget before buying and practise till your heart content.....never leave your camera in dry box too long as its the saddest place for a camera to be.......:lovegrin:

go flickr and do a search for the good photos and check if they are taken by just nikon and canon. most probably not, some photos are taken by olympus, pentax etc. I have taken a shot with my built in camera phone when i am caught without my gear but still like it very much.

It is always a budget, brand and burden(of existing equipments). Went with nikon cause of my old lenses which i somehow never even use even with my current DSLR. Also have access to my sister's canon which too me some time to get use to. How abt the off brand lomo cameras that does things SLR can't? or the Horizon panoramic cameras?

Most people survive with one lens for quite sometime...or a long time. I was using only a 28-70mm for many years.

Eventually it is the image that counts. Photography is an art after all.

There are so many reason to get other brands.

well, the topic of this thread is why are you using other brand instead of canon or nikon, and not why whichever brand doesn't matter.

people here don't seem to understand that and are providing statements which have been repeated a zillion times.

"oh it's the photographer... yada yada" :rolleyes:

When i first bought my DSLR, i was considering the Canon 350D but considering moving from P&S to DSLR, I bought my very 1st Olympus E330 which has live view.. one of the main reason i bought another brand besides C & N cameras and i'm most prob be staying with Oly from now on.

I'll most probably get flamed for this.. haha.

When i first bought my DSLR, i was considering the Canon 350D but considering moving from P&S to DSLR, I bought my very 1st Olympus E330 which has live view.. one of the main reason i bought another brand besides C & N cameras and i'm most prob be staying with Oly from now on.

I'll most probably get flamed for this.. haha.

I feel no one has a right to flame you for choosing a Oly even its for feeling more comfortable of using a live view LCD . Its everybody own right to choose what they want as far as camera is concerned.

I feel no one has a right to flame you for choosing a Oly even its for feeling more comfortable of using a live view LCD . Its everybody own right to choose what they want as far as camera is concerned.

Yup same as me, I came from a Sony F717 with tilting LCD that's why I decided to buy the Oly E330 as my 1st DSLR because I always shoot with odd angles and the articulated LCD helps me a lot. Before I was contemplating in buying either Nikon or Olympus, I really did not think of buying Canon (I don't know why?) :dunno:
Maybe because of the mentality that most people say that only Canon can take good quality images bec of their expensive lenses, now If I manage to take good images I can say.. "it's from Olympus camera and with a zuiko kit lens only" ;)

Why I don't choose Canon or Nikon? Well, I find them too common. Just like H/Phone, i bought Sony Ericsson, not Nokia or Motorola or even Samsung...

So, I ended with Olympus E-500. Prefer to belong to the niche group..also read the review, highly recommended. Also, read about dust problem, so Olympus tackled this problem.

However, when its time to go beyond just hobby, I realise that there are limitation to the accessories...:think: almost regret it....

However again....I realised that to be a good a photographer, its not just the equipment itself...but the skills that comes with it...so, decided to remain as Olympians and improve on my skills :D

(I cud have chosen Pentax K10D if I haven't bought my Olympus....):dunno:

i got a minolta dSLR because of:

1) built in anti-shake (VR, IS)

2) ergonomic design. there's just something very well thought-out about their cameras. little features like how the back lcd turns off when you bring the camera to your eye, how you can set the AEL button to also activate the spot meter, how most of the useful settings have a dial, knob or dedicated button

well, RIP minolta. let's see what sony can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.