Not open for further replies.
Chew Siow Ming said:
post some pic to share hor... :)

Actually have this... Sorry for big image

IMG_3270.jpg

panzerpunk said:
I will try to shoot on thursday, got some concert in school

Settings will prob be: ISO 800
Manual mode/Aperature Priority(prefer Manual)
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and maybe my 85 f/1.8

Hmm I just anyhow flash la since its not a paid concert

hahaha :thumbsup:

you shooting? dun worry the lighting is superb. :thumbsup: come on is audi not hall la. lol.

Its a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Aperature Priority
100mm
F/2.8
1/200s
ISO 800

With flash and 0 exposure compensation

Chew Siow Ming said:
beautiful pic :thumbsup: don't use strobe ?? HIGH ISO ?? D70 noise control not very good leh. any tips to elaborate on that plse.....;p

Personally I think that a noisy but sharp image is much better than a clean, blur image. I am almost always using ISO 3200 to do stage performances so I can squeeze out every last bit of speed, and sometimes, it's still not enough.

If you need the speed, I recommend that you push your ISO to get it, don't be afraid to do so because of noise. If you shoot a great image, noise will be the last thing you're gonna be looking at.

Stoned said:
Personally I think that a noisy but sharp image is much better than a clean, blur image. I am almost always using ISO 3200 to do stage performances so I can squeeze out every last bit of speed, and sometimes, it's still not enough.

If you need the speed, I recommend that you push your ISO to get it, don't be afraid to do so because of noise. If you shoot a great image, noise will be the last thing you're gonna be looking at.

Agree with you, but depending on lighting ISO 800 is usually enough of a comprimise.

YMMV! All depends on situation!

For indoor concert
this is the basic setting ...

shuttle speed : 1/200
ISO 400 - 800
Lens : 200mm ~ 300mm F5.6 / F2.8 [See what u lens have]
Monopod. Help you a lot when you carry "heavy weapon" shoot around 1 hours show.

If you dont have any lens with F2.8
Save all the photo in RAW format [go home out put into jpg.] , for RAW format you can step down to -1.0 EV than you can have faster shuttle speed. ...

Don't put up the ISO too high, remember you are using DSLR not HandPhone camera.
u are using Pro thing to shoot photo, and pleasse dont come out any HPhone quality photo...
If that why you need to buy so EX. toy to take photo.

jacker said:
For indoor concert

ISO 400 - 800
Monopod. Help you a lot when you carry "heavy weapon" shoot around 1 hours show.

Save all the photo in RAW format [go home out put into jpg.] , for RAW format you can step down to -1.0 EV than you can have faster shuttle speed. ...

Don't put up the ISO too high, remember you are using DSLR not HandPhone camera.
u are using Pro thing to shoot photo, and pleasse dont come out any HPhone quality photo...

ISO 400 at 300mm F5.6 witha shutter of 1/200? Concert would have to be damn bright!!! :bsmilie:

Monopod will help alot, so will IS/VR and F/2.8

Try not to under-expose too much, even in RAW, you still lose details and some colours. If you can, get it right the first time, dont rely on PP.

jacker said:
For indoor concert

ISO 400 - 800

firstly, there's no such thing as a "basic setting"

secondly, what is a shuttle speed?

even if you shoot ISO 3200 and print out 4R, the quality is 100% better than you use handphone camera.

don't bother about noise level at high ISO, unless you're making large prints..

+evenstar said:
firstly, there's no such thing as a "basic setting"

secondly, what is a shuttle speed?

even if you shoot ISO 3200 and print out 4R, the quality is 100% better than you use handphone camera.

don't bother about noise level at high ISO, unless you're making large prints..

Hmm.... interesting comparision DSLR with handphone camera. thks for info.

hope 80-200mm f/2.8 can handle without monopod. coz attending daughter's concert, don't want to disturb people sitting behind me. :)

From past experiences, DON'T use wide angle at all. MINIMUM use a 70mm. Even if you're close to the stage. ESPECIALLY if you're close to the stage.

If you don't get why, take a look at the CS's "Ready, Lights, Action!" Some of the bros there like to use wide angle lenses and stand right under the artists/stage, resulting in mainly photos of people looking down their nose at you etc.. = bad and ugly photos.

Yes as said, ISO3200 from any dSLR (ok, maybe from a pentax/canon camera ) will TRASH a HP image anyday. ISO1600 from a Nikon camera should be better than a HP camera still.

As for setting.. It's impossible to suggest anything to follow without knowing what sort of concert it is. That's because of the various spotlights etc that's gonna be casted on the lead etc. It may change, or it may remain constant. You'll have to be the judge of it..

I'd suggest you avoid Av mode and stick with Manual mode, if you're able to roughly meter with your eyes. It's very helpful. :)

i think an image will be more striking if telephoto zooms are used. all the way to the facial expressions. primes are good to capture the entire stage set up with the single actor.

practice makes perfect.

unseen said:
From past experiences, DON'T use wide angle at all. MINIMUM use a 70mm. Even if you're close to the stage. ESPECIALLY if you're close to the stage.

If you don't get why, take a look at the CS's "Ready, Lights, Action!" Some of the bros there like to use wide angle lenses and stand right under the artists/stage, resulting in mainly photos of people looking down their nose at you etc.. = bad and ugly photos.

Yes as said, ISO3200 from any dSLR (ok, maybe from a pentax/canon camera ) will TRASH a HP image anyday. ISO1600 from a Nikon camera should be better than a HP camera still.

As for setting.. It's impossible to suggest anything to follow without knowing what sort of concert it is. That's because of the various spotlights etc that's gonna be casted on the lead etc. It may change, or it may remain constant. You'll have to be the judge of it..

I'd suggest you avoid Av mode and stick with Manual mode, if you're able to roughly meter with your eyes. It's very helpful. :)

never regard handphone camera as a camera, Mmm... may be we could even call it a pin-hole camera. shooting stage performance using HP is just insulting the artist..

:cool:

WA and tele lenses can be used, depending on the stage and atmosphere

there are no rules to what lens and setting to use,
it all depends on the lighting situation there.

but it is good to have fast lenses and not use flash.

unseen said:

You can shoot wide at a concert, dont be a fool. If you have a decent enough working distance, say more then 10m away then wide angle is perfectly fine, say 18-70!!! It helps to show teh atmosphere as you usually get the crowd in the foreground with stage as the main subject in the background. WA cand lead to some very cool shots. Dont restrict yourself to tele's!

Just go there early find a good place for you self.

if the hold show you only take for daughter's performance i dont think ppl behind you will "make noise".

unseen said:

Wide angle lenses help to create drama if used properly. Bad photos are always the result of the photographer and not of the equipment.

Stoned said:
Wide angle lenses help to create drama if used properly. Bad photos are always the result of the photographer and not of the equipment.

Support :thumbsup:

Bro. When is your "daughter's Concert" !!

Remember Post some picture let me ... learn some skilll........ :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

The type of lens really depends on your distance from the stage and what sort of shot you're after. I typically use anything from 15mm to 400mm. As mentioned by others, a fast lens, say f2.8 or wider, is highly desirable. And like I said before, leave the strobe at home.

And remember, try to get to the same eye level or slightly higher than the stage. Shots taken at an upwards angle always turn out looking amateurish, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.