What is your take on commuters reading newspaper while standing during perak hours?

In New York, nobody complains doesn't mean you know what they are thinking in their minds... Just like some of us (particularly timid ones) would just feel irritated but chose not say anything out loud. It also depends on what is an exceptable standard from country to country.

When everyone is doing it does not mean it is right.

We know a lot of ppl on the train can be considerate...like give more space for parent with pram or old folk with walking stick.

It is a two way traffic... the giver always 'give in' and the 'taker' does not give-'considerate' than the giver will slowly not 'give in'.

People will be largely ... 'unaware'.

Just ask them nicely to fold their newspapers or put their bags down.

With a smile, you will be surprised how many will accommodate quite willingly. For those who give sia lan look, oh well, what to do ... there will always be selfish and inconsiderate ones around.

The worst are those that lean their back against the entire pole or start rubbing their crotch against the pole while doing so. :rolleyes:

:ipuke:

THAT is just W-A-Y gross!!! I feel sorry for the next person who had to grab that pole... Actually, I've developed a habit of not using my index finger to press the elevator buttons these days... when I use the stairs, I don't ever hold the railings... after washing my hands at the toilets, I'd pull the doors open at the top of the handle... And when I take a bus, I'd never ever lean my head against the window when seated... I'm totally grossed out by the public hygiene these days... Just a couple of days earlier, while on the bus I noticed a lady really enjoying digging her gold mine (not even trying to hide her actions) I do not even want to think where she would hold on to later... What gives??...

Last edited:
The worst are those that lean their back against the entire pole or start rubbing their crotch against the pole while doing so. :rolleyes:

i have seen people using the pole to pole-dance.

agree with kriegsketten
what we are saying here is that they should be more considerate to others, that's all...
and in return, we should be considerate to them as well do we not? besides......we can complain they stepped into ur personal comfort zone, and they can claim the same thing.

We are not blaming them for reading anything in the MRT (of course we all know it is really bore to stand or sit on a long journey)...but we are asking the 'reader' to be take note of the 'problem' they may cause (engross with the reading a blocking someone to alight or getting up a train). It just take you a few second to look up (whenever a train stop) to check if you are blocking anyone.

if they block somebody, u have the right, or rather, the civility, to ask them to cease and desist mah. did u do it ar? then can u blame them for being an obstructing person? there is no law (so far, if there is, the lawyer should be shot) that says one cannot read newspaper on the train (not like the silly -abeit logical- rule of not eating on the train. the drinking rule...totally stupid, but hey, they want that, give them lor). so why do other ppl care leh? airlines oredi penalize big fat ppl (sorry guys, i say it as it is) by forcing them to buy 2 seats becoz there is a valid safety reason, but, pray tell me, what reason (if any) warrants somebody who is big sized, reading newspaper, taking prams, lugging luggage, and what not to pay for however many spaces that they took up?

if the train is packed, whose fault is it? the guy who read the paper who happen to blocked ur way ar? of the train operator who die die dowan to increase the frequency of the train to reduce sardine packing leh? don u know their motto? if a train can take 1000 ppl by overcrowding them, there is no commercial reason to oni take 500 ppl on a trip. efficiency ar....bosses loveeeeee the word.

that being said, anyone who still reads with the full spread deserved something: someone bumping into them, crumples their paper unintentionally, gives them a nasty look (come on...everybody does this!), and more often than not, the culprit will stop doing it lor. else ar.....donno how good their eyesight are if the paper is moving in and out, up and down.......

Last edited:
Shouldn't the question be: "what do you think of people traveling in the MRT like sardines?" :)

First of all, I don't think MRT would deliberately decrease the frequency of the train (and I hope not) just so they can maximise profit. I would think the capacity of the peak period will ALWAYs be overshot no matter what the frequency is. Unless they start regulating the incoming of passenger at the entrance, the numbers pouring coming in will ALWAYS be greater on the platform than on the trains. Secondly, I do not think MRT will increase the frequency which will in turn compromise the safety of the passengers. There has to be a substantial minimum safety gap times between the rides. And at times, some trains could be delayed due to technical reasons (maybe someone got stuck at the door, door not working, a million reasons that one cannot forsee happening) causing those down the line who are still waiting for their rides to think MRT is being slack. Frankly, it's always a NO-JOY during peak periods, and the public transport will always be blamed for it no matter what's been done to improve it. But you know, they will always try to improve if there's a way and there are no perfect solutions to complicated problems - just acceptable ones. Just look at what will be done to the long distance buses - please read about them in the news. MRT is constantly trying to improve themselves, it's just that some problems will take a long time to solve as they are more complicated than any single being could imaging on his/her own (and I don't think increasing the current frequency would solve anything other than compromising the safety of passengers). Don't forget there are more stations opening in the near future (so that some of the passengers maybe redirected to another station) and probably a lot more stations are in the plans... Like I've said, some problems may take years to solve...

I don't work for MRT nor related in anyway to them, I just emphatise with their situation. Otherwise, it is going to be "ALWAYS their fault"...

As for the book or newspaper reader, wouldn't it be better to initiate with "do you mind if I read my newspaper/book?" and then act accordingly to the situation? Rather than assuming that nobody minds having their limited space being encrouched? I'd think the initial would be more polite, since it started with the book/newspaper reader. Even if you suggest that one should asks if the reader would stop reading because their space is being encrouched, nicely and with a smiling face - please let me remind you that not everyone is capable with handling that kind of situation. One thing for sure, most of the people in Singapore aren't trained well in proper people to people communications, and most would have much difficulties in doing so - a lot can't even express themselves properly. Just look at the local TV news - those general public being interviewed, especially kids as compared to the public overseas... MAJOR difference. The day we start to initiate with our own politeness (and it will take everyone of course), is the day we will see stark improvements in the graciousness of our society... Stop assuming that nobody would mind (first), coz you'll never know if they DO really mind. Sometimes, if you ask politely with a smile (since you wanted to read), chances are that smile would be recipocated with another smile, and you might get your space to read as the other may undertand your needs too. If they do mind, at least respect the fact they do not like their space encrouched (maybe they are having their bad hair day)?

Those of you who worked in logistics... it is always a nightmare, am I not correct?

Last edited:
But the worst are those who carry thick backpacks and read papers.. effectively taking up 2x standing space.. :thumbsd:

alamak, peterpant1975 & me carry small back pack but still takes up 2x standing space respectively lay, put on the floor still take up 1.5x.:embrass::embrass::sweat::sweat:

Personal Hygiene is also important if we gonna take public transport. The last time I'm in a train, saw a guy whom just finish running from dunno where and I dunno also. took out his shirt and lie down at the seat, imagine those microbes sticks to the seat. What if later a person with low immunity(or already sick) sat down there? a dose of another bacteria attack? haiz. Some people think for themselves and forgot abt others.

Almost same with Bus. The last time I took neighborhood bus, we all ended up nearly vomit coz of that. Teh bus driver had to open and close the door flap so that the smell could go out from the bus. Guess whats the drift abt? a foreign lady from mainland. She wore sleeveless and never even shave her armpit hair. We all saw it first hand how armpit hair can grow that long! lol. But the smell, omg...nobody can describe it. Its like a cross between sweat and dead meat. arghh. She sat there alone while all of us run to the back. But nobody told her abt her problem coz I think she should know mah since its her body. I had to go down 3 bus stops away from my home and vomit there.

But to think, if she ever comes in a sardine pack public transport, I sure follow her wearing a BTO mask. hahaha. At least I know I got more space to sit down now. lol.

alamak, peterpant1975 & me carry small back pack but still takes up 2x standing space respectively lay, put on the floor still take up 1.5x.:embrass::embrass::sweat::sweat:

I nevermind one, they can squeeze on me also can. Provided is Pretty ladies. lol

Feeling like giving them a good smack on the head.. wanna read, don open/flip the pages like reading at kopitiam.. those space can be put to better use.. can allow extra standing space for ppl.. ;(

This is nothing new to everyone if you have taken MRT trains.

But I am more concerned on such act during rush hours as the train cabins are packed like sardines, yet some commuters choose to read newspaper while standing. As a result, other commuters couldn't get on board the trains.

I have seen many times such commuters are too engrossed in reading the papers and glued themselves to the floor. As such, they will not move in, they will just stand where they are unless someone shouted "excuse me" or push them.

What is your take on such activity in the trains? Should we restrain ourseleves from reading while standing especially during peak hours? :think:

Gross!!! If people lean on the pole, I will also lean back against the pole :angry: but if they start rubbing their crotch against the pole... :sweat:

Almost same with Bus. The last time I took neighborhood bus, we all ended up nearly vomit coz of that. Teh bus driver had to open and close the door flap so that the smell could go out from the bus. Guess whats the drift abt? a foreign lady from mainland. She wore sleeveless and never even shave her armpit hair. We all saw it first hand how armpit hair can grow that long! lol. But the smell, omg...nobody can describe it. Its like a cross between sweat and dead meat. arghh. She sat there alone while all of us run to the back. But nobody told her abt her problem coz I think she should know mah since its her body. I had to go down 3 bus stops away from my home and vomit there.

Maybe she's with her BEST scent that day?? "What's wrong wif you peepz? I use Chio-Chio Amanni parfume one, ni-zhi-dao-bu-zhi-dao?" :bsmilie: Gives us new meaning to: "One man's poison, is another man's meat"....

I'm wif you, that is totally way gross!! But you'll be surprised that many people are oblivious to their own body scent coz they are so used to it day after day until they are okay with it...

Last edited:
Gross!!! If people lean on the pole, I will also lean back against the pole :angry: but if they start rubbing their crotch against the pole... :sweat:

Time to use the stun gun (and discretely of course)...

Can I create a thread call " Default Re: What is your take on commuters reading iPad while standing during peak hour"? :bsmilie: