What has President Nathan done for our nation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so he is not tested in this area of his constitutional duties.

melnjes said:
The president acts as a check. E.g. if an incompetent government comes on board and misuses the reserves, the president can exercise his veto powers. One possible scenario for example is the government using reserves to buy popular support.

You know lah, whenever the Singapore economy hits a bad patch, the first instinct for the layman is to ask for handouts from the country's reserves.

I believe (I could be wrong) the current government's policy is to only dig into the reserves during a national crisis (e.g. rebuilding after war), and not a recession.

So the presidency is a very important post.

I've always thought that the veto powers were introduced by the ruling party to safeguard the prosperity the country has achieved, in the event that the opposition gains control of the government. A prudent move.

melnjes said:
I believe (I could be wrong) the current government's policy is to only dig into the reserves during a national crisis (e.g. rebuilding after war), and not a recession.

There could be no war and crisis could do more harm than war at time so our reserves could be usless to us people but a protection for the Top people only.:sticktong

Hi, thanks for the info everyone, let's try to keep it concise and with factual references :)

The president of singapore is more of a cermonial and state figure rather than anybody with real power. His power comes of being able to influence the public and represent the people's voice in certain areas. Personally I do not feel that Nathan was an outstanding president comapred to Wee Kim Wee. BUT I am looking for a presedent with clean records and of noble character. Somebody who has the people's welfare at heart. Like the mother in a family wherese the *** is like the father heh heh... If not I will not be voting for him. Having said that Nathan in his youth was a local hero exchanging himself and another commando officer for the freedom of hostages, in a shiping hostage crisis. Pertty garang stuff

reachme2003 said:
so he is not tested in this area of his constitutional duties.

I do not believe he has, but as Ong Teng Cheong has highlighted before, it is not an area that is neglected by the presidency. It is a major cornerstone in the duties of the president.

As for asmospi's comments, well, I happen to think that it is a good move on the government's part to not use reserves during economic downturns. Face it, we'll always have economical downturns. The reserves are not an endless supply of $$ - the country does not spend decades accumulating reserves for it to be used up in 4 years. If we are attacked, we do not have natural reserves like Kuwait or Iraq for anyone to be interested in rebuilding the country for us. We would have to start from scratch all over again, and starting from scratch in the 21st century is a lot harder than back in the 1960s.

It takes a lot of political guts to perform such an unpopular move. The easy way out for a weak government would have been to use the reserves.

melnjes said:
I do not believe he has, but as Ong Teng Cheong has highlighted before, it is not an area that is neglected by the presidency. It is a major cornerstone in the duties of the president.

As for asmospi's comments, well, I happen to think that it is a good move on the government's part to not use reserves during economic downturns. Face it, we'll always have economical downturns. The reserves are not an endless supply of $$ - the country does not spend decades accumulating reserves for it to be used up in 4 years. If we are attacked, we do not have natural reserves like Kuwait or Iraq for anyone to be interested in rebuilding the country for us. We would have to start from scratch all over again, and starting from scratch in the 21st century is a lot harder than back in the 1960s.

It takes a lot of political guts to perform such an unpopular move. The easy way out for a weak government would have been to use the reserves.

If we are under attack, what are the chances the goverment now will still remain. :think:

amospi said:
If we are under attack, what are the chances the goverment now will still remain. :think:

The existing government may be wiped off the face of the earth, or remnants of it may be sent to exile. But the reserves remain for subsequent governments to use to rebuild the country.

How likely will this happen? It may not happen ever, or in our lifetime. But I'd want a government that thinks about this, whether ruling party or opposition. I read an article last year about how thousands of American businesses were wiped out after September 11. Those that remained were the ones who thought of the then-unlikely scenario of America being attacked and had made contingencies for it.

In any case, the presidency is not just a figure-head role, just as reserves are not to be taken for granted. :)

bravocube said:
Wasn't President Nathan the previous director of the Security and Intelligence Division (SID)? I read about this somewhere. If so, there could be information on his past roles that remain classified.
I'm not surprised if he is still in-charge of Big Brother... :bigeyes:

Next thing u know, several of us will vanish frm the face of the earth... :what:

kenneth76 said:
The president of singapore is more of a cermonial and state figure rather than anybody with real power. His power comes of being able to influence the public and represent the people's voice in certain areas. Personally I do not feel that Nathan was an outstanding president comapred to Wee Kim Wee. BUT I am looking for a presedent with clean records and of noble character. Somebody who has the people's welfare at heart. Like the mother in a family wherese the *** is like the father heh heh... If not I will not be voting for him. Having said that Nathan in his youth was a local hero exchanging himself and another commando officer for the freedom of hostages, in a shiping hostage crisis. Pertty garang stuff

hmmm .. has the election campaign started?;)

If I remember correctly, I read recently that he was one of the pioneers that started Sinda.

Adam Goi said:
Hi.

Please keep to the topic; it's the presidency that we're talking, not how the government handles a national crisis ...

Sorry about the OT, Regard the presidency, nothing to comment, whoever get appointed, make no different. If even our respectable President Ong can't do anything, I have loss confident in it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.