what happen JEM?

feng shui no good? With MRT stabbing through it and a new hospital nearby???

Time to call in fs master.

feng shui no good? With MRT stabbing through it and a new hospital nearby???

Time to call in fs master.

Haha. Maybe it's because it isn't blessed by the leading religious leaders in Singapore. Unlike our F1 track.

Jokes aside, thanks to Kit for sharing. I always had my suspicions.

Details not known until full investigation results published. These are general comments which are reflective of experts' opinion.
People who know, -- know.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/tenants-affected-by-jem-s/821244.html

The Chairman of the Government Parliamentary Committee for National Development Lee Bee Wah said that sometimes developers and contractors compromise on the quality of construction materials in order to lower costs.

Hurried work and the tightening of foreign workers policy may also be a factor.

Ms Lee said: "Every time a contractor renews work permit for their workers, they face some difficulties and therefore keep changing staff. That could mean we don’t have experienced engineers or inspectors. The government should really look into this."

then they should hire locals to do the inspection, right?
Not just the inspections, but also to do the work. Pay local people so that they can make a living from it and the jobs will be taken. But uh.. yeah.. that would increase the costs a bit, might lower the profit.. sacrilege!

The building is not designed to handle vibration from after hours hanky panky :bsmilie:

But hanky panky is always after office hour :bsmilie:

Unless you are doing it with the boss :bsmilie:

I think JEM is SG's biggest nightmare - from fire permits to fire incidence.
Now the roof collapse from leaky water pipes :(

wonder JEM open already? Or still closing... how will the settlements be to tenants?

Saw in newspaper some tenants ready to leave............

They should install a bed with a good mattress in the office instead of doing it on the floor. :bsmilie:

ok how they do you also know??

Not just the inspections, but also to do the work. Pay local people so that they can make a living from it and the jobs will be taken. But uh.. yeah.. that would increase the costs a bit, might lower the profit.. sacrilege!

I think the construction work was done by local construction companies and even inspections. They need a TOL from BCA to operate. Am sure
our BCA have gone thru the process before issueing the TOL.BCA won't allow shoddy work and is very stringent since the Hotel New World
collapse in 1986.

A building is deemed fit to be occupied with a Temporary Occupation Permit (TOP). This is issued by BCA and is valid for 1 year. Temporary Occupation License (TOL) is issued by SLA. TOL is for rental of state land.

Just found out that the entire office tower of Jem is on a 30 year lease to MND and will house offices of BCA and AVA. Ironic isn't it?

Reactions: Foxshade
A building is deemed fit to be occupied with a Temporary Occupation Permit (TOP). This is issued by BCA and is valid for 1 year. Temporary Occupation License (TOL) is issued by SLA. TOL is for rental of state land.

Just found out that the entire office tower of Jem is on a 30 year lease to MND and will house offices of BCA and AVA. Ironic isn't it?

You should put this under jokes thread... So ironic, that it crosses the funny line. :bsmilie:

Very confusing. :dunno:
All I know, if I can don't go JEM (even when it re-opens), I won't go. :sweat:

Within the construction industry, it is widely accepted fact that the industry is sick. Just that not many would admit it openly. People spent tons of $$$ on buildings but amazingly, are not willing to invest proportional amount of time building them right, building them better. Its a frustration faced by building professionals and recent labour crunch(thanks to the scholars) did not help a bit. God bless.......

You are right! Many owners engaged foreign architect just for the design and the locate architect for submission. These 'fantastic' buildings become a liability since nobody is responsible for the detailing. Builder built according to instruction and owner's project team only interested to complete on time. To maintain become a nightmare.

Have you seen a commercial building here designed like a hotel with proper service corridors and maintenance office? Most likely those old government buildings you may find some.

Have you seen a commercial building here designed like a hotel with proper service corridors and maintenance office? Most likely those old government buildings you may find some.
That's wasted retail space, similar to areas in MRT stations which are either unused or wasted for maintenance equipment :)