what film do you guys use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fujifilm Superia Xtra 400 is my favourite all-purpose negative. Apparently, the NPS pro-stock is actually aged Superia. So technically you could buy a whole lot of Superia, age it yourself, and it becomes NPS. :)

Like wine? ;) Store a few years very shiok :bsmilie: (no, I don't store any myself)

Superia is not bad, I found another one - DNG Centuria 200. Very nice colors for a negative film. Cheap too, but not as widely available as Superia. Look for a Konica lab.

My other favorites for B&W:
Ilford Delta 100/400 :lovegrin:
Kodak Plus-X: hard to get in SG but I love the tonality, white whites, black blacks and great grays you get from this one
Ilford Pan 400, Pan 100: great 'economy' choices. If you are just starting out use the Pan films, they can deliver very decent quality and they are amongst the most affordable films. And it's hard to go wrong with Ilford
Kodak Tri-X: Some love it, some hate it, I am not particularly fond of it but it's cheap and can be fed to my Holga. Expose at EI200 and pull one stop and it looks much nicer.

Color neg - I don't really like color negs but shoot them occasionally
Fuji Reala - expensive but one of the best available
DNG Centuria - nice saturation, nice blues, cheap
Kodak Pro160 - cheap 'economy' film that works great. Supposedly (can't confirm) rebadged Portra160VC
Fuji 160C, 160S - cheapest neg film in medium format out there. Used to feed my Holga

Slide film -
Provia 100F - awesome
Velvia 100 - awesome
Velvia 50 - awesome

With Fuji so good you don't need to worry about anything else.. just go for Provia/Velvia and never look back.

And if you really want a treat, forget 35mm film. Shoot medium format on a proper camera* and experience the power!!

(* sorry Holga fans.. I have a Holga and I really like it, but if you want to see 120 film at its best delivering SHARP 30+ megapixel scans, you definitely want a good medium format camera)

Used to shoot using film.. now no more..

Tried many different films before. My fav are Fuji Superia Xtra 400 & Reala for normal day to day shooting, and NPS/NPC for portraits.

rarely shoot film nowadays but if I do - usually ilford xp2 super - crazy film can expose at ISO 50 to 800 no prob. Usuallyrate it at ISO 320. On my old old range finder.

My fave slide is velvia 100. Damn sat and still gives great skin tones. Have not shot that for more than 2 years. For all slides make sure your metering is damned good. Or use a light meter. Else going to have slot of pain in the wallet :) usually using my dynax 5 - it has drop dead super metering for slides.

The only time I use color negs I'd when I shoot backup at weddings. Superia 400 kicks butt :)

Have fun- especially with slides. The feeling a beautiful slide under a loupe is nothing like what you get digitally.

COLOR NEGATIVES:
Kodak Max 100 great colours and contrast,fine grains
Kodak Max 400 pushed to 800, can get some really grainy results.
FujiFilm Superia 200 great all rounders
Fujifil REALA my favourite, not sure can buy anymore (!) :)
FujiFilm NPH (160) low contrast fine grain, usually for wedding photo
Agfa Optima 100 Very nice European colour, RED is very rich

In general, provided the camera's meter is working properly, my practice is:

under exposed Slides by 1/3 Stop to get richer colour
over exposed Film by 1/3 Stop to get better details

Reala can be bought from OP. Just went there to take a look just now.

which slide film u think is ok for beginner? i wonder what is the price range of slide film? is it a lot? it is around $7 right?

thinking of buying some slide film to try..anyone got a recommend?

For those that have tried the relatively new Provia 400X - what are your thoughts on it ? Thought of trying it out as I've been using Provia 100F a lot recently.

which slide film u think is ok for beginner? i wonder what is the price range of slide film? is it a lot? it is around $7 right?

You might like to try Provia 100F. I really like it, especially how it handles shadow details as compared to the steep drop-off to black that you get with Velvia.

Generally, slide film is unforgiving of exposure mistakes, so in a way, any slide film will do. Cheaper film might mean a bit less heart pain if something goes wrong. Cheapest is Fuji Sensia. $7+ depending on where you buy it.

In between, Agfa CT Precisa 100, $8.

High end, Provia and Velvia, $9-11. Once you've built up a bit of experience go for these two.. you can get really great results, but only if you really nail the exposure. You can learn about exposure on digital. First roll of slide film I ever shot - Provia 100F - turned out good because I carried over all of my background knowledge about exposure, all learned on my digitals.

guess provia 100F is quite good..thanks..

35mm Films that i have used before:

Color Negatives:
Konica Centuria 200
Fuji Superia 100

B&W Negatives:
Kodak T-max 100
Ilford HP5
Fuji Neopan 400

Heard some mentions about Konica Centuria film, recently i found Konica Centuria Super 200 in some convenience stores that sells film per roll, it cost a few ten cents more than the Centuria 200. Can try it out:)

Kodak Pro160 - cheap 'economy' film that works great. Supposedly (can't confirm) rebadged Portra160VC

I don't think the Pro160 is a rebadged Portra160VC unless now it is.. Last I used them couple of years back (2003) they were still quite different.

Does anyone know where to find MF 120mm slide film? I have no luck with this, all I can find is reala in MF.

Try Cathay or Ruby?

Yes, of course. Both only carry negative MF film now.

Oh shucks.. Try contacting Fujifilm or Kodak to see where you can get them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.