what AA battery to use for flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the same flash, rechargeable NiMH batteries tend to work better than alkalines. This is because NiMH is capable of supplying large current to recharge the flash capacitors. Can't remember the actual physics but believe it's due to resistance rising significantly higher in alkalines when they are hot, hence current is reduced.

Heard something like that too.

If you really want to use alkalines, I'd recommend Gp Ultras, cheap and good

Btw, found this for Nikon SB900.
http://www.ukoptics.co.uk/nikon-speedlight-sb900-flash-p-1137.html
(Battery type/time to recharge/# of flash)

- Alkaline-manganese (1.5V) : 4.0 sec. / 110
- Lithium (1.5V) : 4.5 sec. / 230
- Oxyride (1.5V) : 3.0 sec. / 125
- Ni-MH AA (2600 mAh) (rechargeable): 2.3 sec. / 190

NiMH delivers the best recharge times but last marginally less compared to the much more expensive Lithium batteries which have the worst recharge times. Alkalines do not last long and have poor recharge times.

Last edited:
U sure about this?

Nowadays rechargeable batteries are over 2A and cct onboard the flash may not design for bty over the limit on current rating. Long run to the flash will be shortened. Disposable bty has current abt 2A and safe to use. Unless manual said any rechargebale bty or current can be used.

Nowadays rechargeable batteries are over 2A and cct onboard the flash may not design for bty over the limit on current rating. Long run to the flash will be shortened. Disposable bty has current abt 2A and safe to use. Unless manual said any rechargebale bty or current can be used.

U go try the eneloops first then say. I've once used it on my 580EX II to shoot an event in ETTL mode. From full charge to flat, lasted 928 shots. If the normal alkalines can reach this limit, u tell me which ones and i'll go buy it immediately.

Hi all,
Went to check out the price for rechargeable batteries and this is my shortlist

Eneloop with charger and 4 X 2000 mAh battery @ $59.90
Sony with charger and 4 X 2700 mAh batteries @ $27.90

Which is better value for money? Intending for use with my flash unit. Thank you

U go try the eneloops first then say. I've once used it on my 580EX II to shoot an event in ETTL mode. From full charge to flat, lasted 928 shots. If the normal alkalines can reach this limit, u tell me which ones and i'll go buy it immediately.

well, I am comfortable with normal battery! No challenge here , its just an advice.

well, I am comfortable with normal battery! No challenge here , its just an advice.

Technically, NiMh are safer when compared to Lithium (Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer) based batteries, especially when you're using it in your Flash where the batteries tend to get over heated. My advise to anyone would be to use rechargeable NiMh batteries for Flash whenever possible (Be it a normal NiMh or those who can retain the charge for a longer duration like Recyko, Imedion, Eneloop etc)

you may want to check your sources or refresh your memory again.

a 1000W power supply do not supply 1000W constantly but only the amount demand by the device. a 2700mAh battery do not discharge at 2700mA unless the device demand it. 2700mAh is the discharge capacity, eg. it will discharge at 2700mA for one hour or 1350mA for 2 hours or 675mAh for 4 hours, so on and so forth.

the drawing current will also affect the battery capacity, a Alkaline with 1500mAh rating may fall to half of its capacity in a power hungry device that draw at ~1000mA. for a high power drawing device like flash and digital camera, rechargeable NiMH can be several time more lasting than the Alkaline of equal capacity.

don't take my word, read the article from Energizer, probably the only battery brand that still refuse to produce rechargeable battery.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Went to check out the price for rechargeable batteries and this is my shortlist

Eneloop with charger and 4 X 2000 mAh battery @ $59.90
Sony with charger and 4 X 2700 mAh batteries @ $27.90

Which is better value for money? Intending for use with my flash unit. Thank you

Go check out Maha and PowerEx too.... :thumbsup:

Hi, i went to the battery yesterday.

Sanyo Eneloop charger with 2 X 2000 mAh battery @ $23.90
Sanyo charger with 2 X 2700 mAh battery @ $21.90

i found that Eneloop battery is only 2000 mAh,
but without Eneloop battery is 2700 mAh.

so eventually i got the 2700 mAH.

can someone tell me what is this 2 different?
is the more mAh can result more shoot and last longer?

thanks!

Eneloop ones keep charge longer. So you can charge them, put them aside and use them say a few week later and they still retain charge.

Non-eneloop ones do not keep charge long, so after one week you could lose say, 10-20% of the battery life. The non-eneloop ones usually come with higher capacity and last longer when fully charged.

You can find more detailed info here:
http://www.eneloop.info/home/performance-details/self-discharge.html

Eneloop ones keep charge longer. So you can charge them, put them aside and use them say a few week later and they still retain charge.

Non-eneloop ones do not keep charge long, so after one week you could lose say, 10-20% of the battery life. The non-eneloop ones usually come with higher capacity and last longer when fully charged.

You can find more detailed info here:
http://www.eneloop.info/home/performance-details/self-discharge.html

thanks for your info!
seem like eneloop is the better choice.
2000mah and 2700 mah doesn't make big different.
can i buy eneloop 2000mah, and use my charger for 2700mah to charge?

thanks for your info!

*Ahem*

Wait till you are doing an event shoot and using 2000mAh. THERE is a BIG difference for fully charged 2700 vs fully charged 2000mAh batts.

thanks for your info!

eneloop is a kind of LSD battery. if you used your equipment frequently and need to charge the batteries weekly, the normal 2700mAh is a better choice than eneloop.

as you can see from this eneloop review, the 2500mAh retain higher capacity unless they are placed idle over 3 weeks.

most photog use 2700mAh cause they give more juice and reserved the eneloop for backup.

AA/AAA NiMH battery can be charge by any AA/AAA NiMH charger.

Hi, i went to the battery yesterday.

Sanyo Eneloop charger with 2 X 2000 mAh battery @ $23.90
Sanyo charger with 2 X 2700 mAh battery @ $21.90

i found that Eneloop battery is only 2000 mAh,
but without Eneloop battery is 2700 mAh.

so eventually i got the 2700 mAH.

can someone tell me what is this 2 different?
is the more mAh can result more shoot and last longer?

thanks!

U look at my post #23. That'll give u an idea.

The battery charger manual didn't tell me what is the correct way to charge my battery.
should i only charge my battery when it is fully discharged?
or it can be charged after every event shooting?

which is the behavior which photographer will normally do?

hi
Energizer Rechargeable Batteries AA 2450MAH OR AAA 900MAH .
Because my customer use.and the buy for me .
$15.00 per pack (4pcs/pack)
91893006 Andrew
Tks

Status
Not open for further replies.