Weather-proof lenses available?

one more question about the weather proof. assuming using a weather proof body with a non weather proof lens, won't water runs into the body thru the mounting area or the lens? water could also falls onto the sensor if this is the case.

one more question about the weather proof. assuming using a weather proof body with a non weather proof lens, won't water runs into the body thru the mounting area or the lens? water could also falls onto the sensor if this is the case.

I'm sure if its a light drizzle.. no worries.. but if heavy rain, water splash, ice, dust or sand. Then yes. weather sealed body must go with weather sealed lens.

That's the reason I've been so careful with my Leica/Panasonic 25mm f/1.4, no matter which of my Four-Thirds bodies, it could not only be damaged but contribute to the damage of the body.

That's the reason I've been so careful with my Leica/Panasonic 25mm f/1.4, no matter which of my Four-Thirds bodies, it could not only be damaged but contribute to the damage of the body.

The 25 mm is not weatherproof isn't it?

I thk the mount is engineered to seal. A tight seal also ensures good optical quality.

If dipped in sea water due to accident then cannot be helped. Rinsing with tap water may help. But may not be 100% foolproof. Usually the camera body is quickly sold off after that.

It is not recommended to deliberately dip the camera and lens, even in relatively less corrosive swimming pool water, just to prove a point.

I thk the mount is engineered to seal. A tight seal also ensures good optical quality.

Engineered to be sealed from light leaks, yes, all decent lens mounts should achieve that. From dust and moisture, not a given, depends on your lens/body.

The 25 mm is not weatherproof isn't it?

No Leica lenses are weatherproofed, as far as I know, including their ultra-expensive Noctilux lenses, otherwise they would mention it.

As big as the Four-Thirds 25mm f/1.4 lens is, you'd think that they'd have bothered to properly seal it. None of their other 3 Four-Thirds lenses mention being sealed against weather or dust.

Last edited:
I do not believe you.

Weather proof is not water proof.

Stop trying to trick some foolish reader from trying out what you described with his equipment.

Well I did state upfront with a warning, so you can't accuse me of misleading the readers... That is not my intention at all.

Apologies over my statement though.. To clarify, I ONLY DIPPED the lens into a STILL pool till just beyond the two buttons on the lens,. NOT THE BODY. I would be crazy to do that. That's why I'm asking about the weather-RESISTANCE for my trip.

Well, here's the "portrait" I did to test the water resistance... Af hunted for a while before it locked on, that's why it was submerged for 3-4 secs. :bsmilie:

http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showphoto.php?photo=203037&title=p5030678-768x1024-600x800&cat=500 EXIF info here

P5030678_768x1024_600x800_.jpg

Last edited:
Well I did state upfront with a warning, so you can't accuse me of misleading the readers... That is not my intention at all.

Apologies over my statement though.. To clarify, I ONLY DIPPED the lens into a STILL pool till just beyond the two buttons on the lens,. NOT THE BODY. I would be crazy to do that. That's why I'm asking about the weather-RESISTANCE for my trip.

Well, here's the "portrait" I did to test the water resistance... Af hunted for a while before it locked on, that's why it was submerged for 3-4 secs. :bsmilie:

http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showphoto.php?photo=203037&title=p5030678-768x1024-600x800&cat=500 EXIF info here

Haha. For that photo you risk your lens underwater??? :))

Haha. For that photo you risk your lens underwater??? :))

Haha test shot mah.. no one in the pool other than my friend so I got him.. :bsmilie: