We love our manual focus Nikkor lenses!

thanks all !!
I did a setup to my camera and it works.
metering exposures are measured but exposure compensation are not.
im still okay with it ... thanks again ... :)

No worries, glad to help. But ec should work... tried it in manual mode?

Here's one with the 35 f/2 AI

This, I'm told, is what dog owners with cameras and remote flashes invariably end up doing...

channel 855 (CKC_8570) by Zichar, on Flickr

@ Zichar - yes ... its at manual mode. I able to see my setup by pressing Fn button on camera body too.
May I know what camera body you're using

Last edited:
x0tiq said:
thanks all !!
I did a setup to my camera and it works.
metering exposures are measured but exposure compensation are not.
im still okay with it ... thanks again ... :)

Can't be, when lens data are in they must both work. You must be doing something else wrong. Shot an evenly lit wall from 0 to -2, you should see the histogram move 1 step to the left each stop of compensation.

I'm using the D700 but diediealsomustdive is correct, ec should work

Wah! ... like this I diediemusttry ... :)

Hi all, i recently got a 35 f/3.5 PC, I cant seem to be able to get proper exposures on both film and digital cameras. The aperture ring is near the front, unlike most older lens. Any ideas?

Hi all, i recently got a 35 f/3.5 PC, I cant seem to be able to get proper exposures on both film and digital cameras. The aperture ring is near the front, unlike most older lens. Any ideas?

its a pre-set lens. so you need to set the aperture ring, then there'll be a second ring that you twist to stop down the aperture.. or at least i think thats how it should be. so if say you set the ring to f/8 and meter for f/8, but don't twist the 2nd ring to stop down, you ll really be shooting at f/3.5

Here are some shots from my 24/2 AIS.

DSC_1982.jpg

DSC_1949.jpg

DSC_1959.jpg

Ben Ang said:
its a pre-set lens. so you need to set the aperture ring, then there'll be a second ring that you twist to stop down the aperture.. or at least i think thats how it should be. so if say you set the ring to f/8 and meter for f/8, but don't twist the 2nd ring to stop down, you ll really be shooting at f/3.5

I believe you'll have to set exposure before shifting the lens as well.

Birdee-1.jpg

taken using nikon D300s with nikkor 180mm f2.8 Ai-S ED

Dear all

I have a manual focus Nikkor f/1.4 50 mm. I have tried using it on my D90 DSLR (not full frame). At 1.4 I usually get only 1 out of 6-7 shots that is in focus. When using film camera there is a spit centre match to gauge the focusing. I know DSLR has the indicative light but I get really frustrated with the poor success of correct focusing. Any tips here to share? Many thanks.

csctch said:
Dear all

I have a manual focus Nikkor f/1.4 50 mm. I have tried using it on my D90 DSLR (not full frame). At 1.4 I usually get only 1 out of 6-7 shots that is in focus. When using film camera there is a spit centre match to gauge the focusing. I know DSLR has the indicative light but I get really frustrated with the poor success of correct focusing. Any tips here to share? Many thanks.

You can change split focusing screen on your D90. I used from focusingscreen and enjoy with it. Below link you can find.

http://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=22_95&osCsid=704889e3fdf935199081b553a0a8e7b8

Dear all

The focus confirmation dot will light up when the focus is around a certain range. It does not guarantee spot-on focus. What I do is turn the focus ring until the light comes on. I focus further until the light goes off. Then I backtrack halfway and take the shot.

Was perhaps a bit too ambitious trying out MF lenses for my dept's retreat...
Guess I need a bit more practice with moving objects
Still good for static :D
9 shot pano of the hotel lobby, handheld, with the 35/2 AI