Wanted: Tripod suited for travel. Manfrotto 190XPROB vs 190CX3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benro and GITZO the quality is totally different.. By holding it… I can tell the feeling is heaven for GT1541T as for Benro I don't want to comments too much.

TS is working on a compromise... most of us humans have compromise

after touch Brad Pitt's butt, and comparing to my partner's butt, i can also feel the quality is very different :bsmilie:

Last edited:

after touch Brad Pitt's butt, and comparing to my hubby's butt, i can also feel the quality is very different :bsmilie:

:sweatsm: :thumbsup:

I own 190CXPRO3 with 486RC2 BH...
I can tell you...this set up is still not light as what you see on the paper.
190CXpro3 still heavy exsp with the 486RC2 BH.....

190CXPro3.. is still not compact and light as what you think....
If you want light and easy to carry around. just get GT1541T with Markins Q3T.
I can tell you that is super light and compact..!!!

I sold off my 486RC2 BH.. and using Markins Q3 for my both tripods.
and finally I'm very happy now...

STOP WASTING your parents or your $$$ now...!!!!..
Just go for a good and light tripod and good BH...
and start shooting good pix...!!!

one shot one kill......tat will be my advice 4 u lah.

if you really want get this tripod...

img1372e.jpg

img1371v.jpg
Hmmm... You got the pic of the ocean edition, wander how many ppl can afford with my responses on saying current prices are high even after my Clearance sale. LOL

New series will have series 1/2 traveller edition(carbon)
Antique alu tripod with very nice carrier bag.
New series of ballhead.
2009 editions looks good but the price is turn off. :(

after touch Brad Pitt's butt, and comparing to my hubby's butt, i can also feel the quality is very different :bsmilie:

:sweatsm::sweatsm:

If we're on the topic of Gitzo, I noticed Orient Photo sells some CF tripods that are similar to Gitzo. They're cheap around 400+ but not Benros either. Has anyone tried them before?

After touch Brad Pitt's butt, and comparing to my hubby's butt, i can also feel the quality is very different :bsmilie:

You're the envy of many women ! ;)

Hmm, Brad Pitt's butt is equivalent to Gitzo ? As in stable vs firm ?? LOL !!!! I hope ur hubby aint reading this ! :eek:

just a light hearted joke, come on

i am a he

ok... i have rephrased it

i mean, i know's what's best or say, very good tripod... but we all have to sacrifice something at a certain pt in time

it's easy to say, buy once, ... u sell, buy, buy, sell... in the end, spend more, yes agree
in theory so easy, but not all humans can do that

u can also say, if cant afford now, save for later

well my ex colleague once always say... lucky i didn't buy that model... lucky i waited, now i can buy a better one...

well, it has been 7 years... my butt itches so many years oready... yet she hasn't bought her ideal (whatever)

Haha, you guys crack me up..

Budget: S$550 for legs + head or S$450 for head

So lets say I have a situation. I *am* going to bring my tripod setup for traveling, and a lighter / more compact tripod would make lots of sense. As we have been discussing, with some

However, I also have this fear of the ballhead failing catastrophically (it's a china-brand yongnuo gitai standard one soo..) It did fail on me when I was carrying the tripod (one hand on ballhead, one hand on one leg). My 70-200 + 400D gripped was mounted for a sports day shoot last thursday. It was tightened, but something gave way or it's possible that the angle of the gear was spot on, and the ballhead slipped. The setup gave way by tilting camera-down, and it pinched the flesh between my thumb and index finger. Ouch, yeah. Was out of the action for 5 whole minutes, lucky that there wasn't any wounds.

Back to the traveling part. If I reuse my current tripod and head, I could try to get used to the weight and bulk, but the possible failure of the head (which might lead to me losing my entire setup) is not something I'd like to think about.

If I reuse my current tripod but upgrade a head, I will not benefit as far as size and weight is concerned (negligible weight difference for ballheads, I think) but I gain the confidence of using my setup, and the ease of use with the tension controls and smooth ballhead.

If I upgrade both my tripod and head, I will be able to at best get a 190CX3 + 486RC2 for a setup.

I'm pretty confused. Upgrade ballhead? Upgrade tripod + ballhead?

Hey ,

I do not own the Yongnuo tripod so I can't comment much on how sturdy the legs are , but it doesn't really seem feasible to change the ballhead to something like the Q3T to match the Yongnuo tripod legs. Maybe it's just me. Feels like a bottleneck.
Just about 2 weeks ago I bought my own tripod , 190XPROB + 486RC2. Weight has never been an issue to me so I found it alright to settle for the aluminium version instead of the CF version (CX3). I have the Optech strap and I was really shocked and amazed by how it really make the tripod feel like a feather. It works much better than a tripod bag for me.(except when it rains I can't do anything)

Anyway I have to say the ballhead is really good enough. Sure the Q3T is better by a lot , but I'm really amazed by this simple ballhead alone. I even tested it with a 70-200F2.8 IS with my 450D. Still really good. Generally at the start of using new ballheads its alright , but prolong usage (e.g 1 year) , creeping can get noticeable for the 486RC2. I don't know much about the Q3T , but I don't really think the 486RC2 will give problems like you mentioned. I'm still new in the field of photography as a student so I might not have the best advice , but I would say go for the 190CX3+486RC2. I'm really loving my current tripod and I assure you the confidence in using it.

Most importantly , give the equipment a try first before doing anything. Initially I was clueless like you, but I got my tripod at J316 and they were a great help. :)

Haha, you guys crack me up..

Budget: S$550 for legs + head or S$450 for head

So lets say I have a situation. I *am* going to bring my tripod setup for traveling, and a lighter / more compact tripod would make lots of sense. As we have been discussing, with some

However, I also have this fear of the ballhead failing catastrophically (it's a china-brand yongnuo gitai standard one soo..) It did fail on me when I was carrying the tripod (one hand on ballhead, one hand on one leg). My 70-200 + 400D gripped was mounted for a sports day shoot last thursday. It was tightened, but something gave way or it's possible that the angle of the gear was spot on, and the ballhead slipped. The setup gave way by tilting camera-down, and it pinched the flesh between my thumb and index finger. Ouch, yeah. Was out of the action for 5 whole minutes, lucky that there wasn't any wounds.

Back to the traveling part. If I reuse my current tripod and head, I could try to get used to the weight and bulk, but the possible failure of the head (which might lead to me losing my entire setup) is not something I'd like to think about.

If I reuse my current tripod but upgrade a head, I will not benefit as far as size and weight is concerned (negligible weight difference for ballheads, I think) but I gain the confidence of using my setup, and the ease of use with the tension controls and smooth ballhead.

If I upgrade both my tripod and head, I will be able to at best get a 190CX3 + 486RC2 for a setup.

I'm pretty confused. Upgrade ballhead? Upgrade tripod + ballhead?

Sad to hear that…..
At least is a lessened… invested so much $$$ into the expensive gear…
But using a Q mark tripod and don't know you can trust or not.
Lucky nothings happen to your gears…..

If not you will bang your head…!!!:mad2:

So is better to invest into a relivable tripod and BH….
Cos your gears is depending on it

Now start to invest into good and relivable BH and tripod.

Since your current BH has failed you. So for this time now get a good BH.
At least you don't need to spend so much $$$ now.
At the same time save some $$$ just in case your tripod fail you

If you have extra $$$ just get a good tripod and ball head.;)

No need to be confuse got $$$ buy both not $$$ just buy BH.:cry:

To Headshotzx,

Was the 'Feisol' tripods in your research or consideration? I own the CT3441 for about a year and find it to be an absolute joy to carry around and use. The tripod has travelled with me and can be easily folded and packed into your cabin luggage. The price is also very reasonable (in fact, cheap considering these are carbon fibre tripods) in my opinion. The CB30 ballhead that comes with it, hold my Olympus E3 and Zuiko 50-200mm lens (total close to 2kg) without any problems.

And if small, portable, travel-able are your priorities, they are worth a good look.

Cheers

Last edited:
Wow this is an informative thread indeed. I am in a similar predicament as Zexun except that i already own a 190XProB + 486RC2 which i find too heavy to bring around on a 3 weeks hiking holiday with backpack and tent and all, and i don't have a huge budget for upgrading (~100-200). My other tripod is a Canon standard one (super light and flimsy)

was recommended to take a look at some of the Slik and smaller Manfrotto tripods (like 725B) combined with the current ballhead i have. Since i don't usually mount a monster weight on the tripod (at most 400D+Sigma18-200mm+430EX) and don't do it all the time, i guess creep shouldn't set in so soon.:dunno:

Will go looking around the shops today. hope to have some good finds to share!:D

Fwah, $298 for the 190CX3 is a bloody good price. With the Optech strap for free it's pretty much all you need. Well, execpt for the ballhead, that's usually the tricky one.

i got the 190cx3 and 486rc2 . brought it along for my japan trip recently. well..it didn't feel exactly that light..but hey..at least it didn't weigh a tonne. it fits in the tripod holder on my crumpler whickey and cox too.

i was in the same dilemma..cldn't afford too much..but wanted a compromise.

go for the setup. it works well enough.

btw, can someone tell me how to fix tt optech strap onto the tripod? there isn't a place to hook the strap to the centre column as mentioned in the user manual.

i got the 190cx3 and 486rc2 . brought it along for my japan trip recently. well..it didn't feel exactly that light..but hey..at least it didn't weigh a tonne. it fits in the tripod holder on my crumpler whickey and cox too.

btw, can someone tell me how to fix tt optech strap onto the tripod? there isn't a place to hook the strap to the centre column as mentioned in the user manual.

Check this out...
My Tripod Review

There are two versions of the Optech strap. The one for Manfrotto tripods will have a hook to snap into the ring around the tripod platform.

Fwah, $298 for the 190CX3 is a bloody good price. With the Optech strap for free it's pretty much all you need. Well, execpt for the ballhead, that's usually the tricky one.

What's the 190CX3 without the offer? It was US$250 on amazon.

Ah I see. Good to hear positive views on the 190CX3. How's the stability of it? Does it flex when you apply pressure to it?

Should be 300+? As far as I'm concerned a CF tripod from a reputable brand doesn't come under $300. Plus that tripod strap is about $30-40. The deal is definitely good.

Status
Not open for further replies.