Wait for D800 or buy D700 now

I know of someone who doesn't want the D800.

He wants the D700 for it is cheaper, for his humble (older/cheaper model) fx primes to perform better with a 12mp sensor and last but not least, still compatible with his 3rd party lenses.

wait if you can... the replacement model is going to be much better.... that's my guess :)

I agree.

you already see how good the D7000 is compared to the D300 in terms of sensor, especially the dynamic range (shadow noise)

I have a D700. It is very good but extra dynamic range + video is a big plus for me.

The time before D7000 came out everyone's talking about it in all the forums around the globe. Eg, whether it's called D95 and what features are in it.

I dont see the intensity for the D700 replacement (whatever it's going to be called) building up yet.
Think it's gonna be a LONG LONG wait... ...

and when the D800 (if it comes out soon), you will be waiting for the price to drop.
As soon as the price to drop, there might be another model coming up soon D800x.

The wait will be forever.

I bought my D700 last july. Mainly, the price has fallen and it is still a good camera be it if there is D800,D900,D1million.

The D200 was a real solid workhorse for many. Would anyone still buy a D200 now?

I bought the D700 a month ago. Did not want to wait and sick of looking at all the Nikon rumors on the internet.

There will always be a better camera/newer camera round the corner (even more so for DSLR compared to film). If you buy the D700 now, you will find its performance more than adequate for 99% of your photography needs. You might even be able to forget about D800 and probably only upgrade when D900 is out.

Seriously, everyday that you wait for the new model to be released, you lose a day of photographic opportunity.

ya not sure is there a d800
for some s5pro user they been waiting for s7pro for years

Seriously, everyday that you wait for the new model to be released, you lose a day of photographic opportunity.

He already has a camera.

He already has a camera.

I understand. I'm not sure which camera he's using now but IF it is a matter of upgrading from a non-FX model to a FX model- then he should seriously consider enjoying FX sooner rather than later.

The D200 was a real solid workhorse for many. Would anyone still buy a D200 now?

I have to disagree with your analogy in this case.

For D200 case, by now D7000, D300, D300s, D700, D3, D3s are readily available and much better. Some of the models I mention can be get for a good price if you know where to find. So in this case, it makes sense to get an updated model.

For D700 case, we don't even know the model number for the replacements of D300s, D700, D3, D3s, D3x. We don't know the general availability dates of the replacements. They are only rumored to be replaced this year. We do not know their specs and how good or how much of an improvement they will be. From the time Nikon made any official announcements, there is still some time for shipment, building up of stock before the products are available. At this point of time, none of us have any credible information, so there is no point arguing or speculating.

If the TS wants to wait, can he/she wait one year? Two years? Or more? No one here knows how long he/she needs to wait. So in this case, I would recommend getting D700.

I have to disagree with your analogy in this case.

It is not an analogy, it is just a question. Anyway feel free to disagree. :)

Last edited:
I thought our moderator nightwolf already said it would be out in Aug on the other thread?

I feel that TS doesn't really need a FX now, he might just think of upgrading for the sake of upgrading. Correct me if I'm wrong TS :cool:

So there are 4 options actually:
1. Wait for D800/D700s/x, grab it at high price (after x months)
2. Wait for D800/D700s/x, get it after x months + a few months more
3. Get a D700 now
4. Get a D700 after x months, price might drop for another 10%.

For me, I prefer Option no.4... depending on how good is the replacement.

ya not sure is there a d800
for some s5pro user they been waiting for s7pro for years

S7pro? This is completely irrelevant to the discussion -- Fuji long ago told the whole world that the S5pro will be their last DSLR.

Will Nikon come out with a D800? Of course, or else they will be completely out of the game!! They have already developed the Expeed2 image processor, which looks very promising on the D7000. Soon they will face strong competition from the Canon in the form of the 5D Mk 3, etc, which might have 28 or 30 MP.

Worth remembering that DSLRs are technology products -- check out the high ISO capability of the D7000 to see how far the industry has developed despite progressively smaller pixel sizes. If you only shoot at base ISO, then perhaps all this doesn't matter. :)

i'll wait for D700 replacement since there's quite a significant amount of improvement (in terms of specs) in the whole nikon lineup this time round.

Might as wait for D900.

there is no end to "waiting" for new technology. If you can afford it and it makes you
feel good, buy it.

Might as wait for D900.

there is no end to "waiting" for new technology.

Nobody is saying wait forever. The replacement is due this year.

I guess there isn't a right answer to my question. Looking at the responses, I think for me, at my stage, I will explore my D90 until such time that I think my skill requires a FX then I will consider D700/D800 whichever is available then. Meanwhile, shoot more and and save more!!!! thank you all for the point of view. BTW, I went to check out SLR-R but seems like they are no longer there in Funan.