Voigtlander Bessa Question...

Nokton 50mm 1.2...
you must be either referring to the 35f1.2 of the 50f1.1, either one is a good choice.

1. shutter too noisy
2. hard to focus in low light
3. film winder very stiff
Larry - welcome to rf! For the purpose of a review, the above might all be true... but in relative terms (when you do a side by side comparison). There are various reasons why a leica cost more than 8 times the price of a bessa, some summarized in the video in the "I want to buy a rangefinder" thread :bsmilie:

but as an RF tool, the bessas are capable bodies providing you with a good array of options on vf magnification and a / m. My biggest beef with them is that they don't offer the r2/3/4a in classic black...

Hi all,
I would like to try out using a RF camera for street photography. Seems like for a digital one, it’s very expensive. So I guess I have to opt for a film one.
Is it wise to get those Russian replica Leica RF camera available in the ebay?
What is the recommended budget film scanner to scan those negatives?
Lastly where to buy these Voigtlander Bessa RF cameras in S’pore? Roughly what is the price for a R2A + CV35 combo?
Thanks!

Hi all,
I would like to try out using a RF camera for street photography. Seems like for a digital one, it’s very expensive. So I guess I have to opt for a film one.
Is it wise to get those Russian replica Leica RF camera available in the ebay?
What is the recommended budget film scanner to scan those negatives?
Lastly where to buy these Voigtlander Bessa RF cameras in S’pore? Roughly what is the price for a R2A + CV35 combo?
Thanks!

the cheapest digital RF you can find in the market has to be the Epson RD1s, round about $2k...

Chiff is the official distributor for voigtlander in Singapore... there's a pricelist on his website! :thumbsup:

http://www.chiifcameras.com/site2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid=2

i second for 35mm f2.5
love that combi too

The R2A is wonderful! I use it with Zeiss 35/2 and 50/2. Perfect! at least for me. All those problems and complaints that you read online are not true at all lah.

I agree Bessa is very good camera. The Bessa 3M has a unique 1:1 VF.

Apart from Bessa 2A, I also am a fan of Zeiss Ikon. It has the best VF. I would prefer ZI and B2A to M7.

Don't listen to Leica fanboys diss Bessa's build quality. All RFs will have need for servicing over time。the key difference is Bessa is build of magnesium alloy, not brass. It feels lighter. This can be a good thing if you actually take photos (contrary to popular beleif, heavy ass brass cameras does not help take better photos; but brass cameras do age gracefully)

With Bessa, you can buy brand new with warranty at a very affordable price. And brand new body does not require CLA. You can buy with peace of mind.

Bessa VF is really good. Very bright, easy to see the focusing patch, easy to frame. I think it's brighter than a lot of older Leica cameras, unless you use a new Leica or one that has been CLAed. I think it's quite easy to use indoors. Shutter noise is a loud clack, but unless you shoot in a very quiet environment I doubt anyone would notice.

Probably the only issue with Bessa is their shorter base length, so fast lenses such as 50 1.1 will not be as easy to focus accurately wide open. They are also more plasticky than Leicas (get what you pay for - a lot, in this case!).

I am not sure Bessas have shorter base length than Leicas. For eg the Bessa 3 is 1:1 its alot easier to focus than Leicas.

More plastic yes, but brass does not better pictures take.

Last edited:
R4M use 21mm lens no need external VF wan....

R3M got 1:1 VF you can focus with both eyes open you will see 1:1.

These are things Bessa have that Leica dont.

(steady lah, next time go chiif i must demand discount haha!)

oh my very first RF, the R3A! :lovegrin:

R4A (21mm framelines) + Trigger Winder + 21mm@f8 ... just whack! Ok ... film not that cheap. Don't need to be trigger happy. But it really feels quite solid in your hands.

My Voigtlander R2M has served me for 3 holiday trips and is still in use, especially after my Zeiss Ikon Shutter dial popped off. Blah. But nevertheless, it's a good workhorse camera. You can't go wrong with it. Metering works fine, so does the mechanical.

Using r2m too.. Haven't gone through my first roll.. But would there be any problem if I use a 40mm other than adjusting the frame lines using my own eyes?

Hi,
i have relatively thick specs -4.5 on both eyes. WOuld it be difficult to use rangefinder cameras? I have been bit by the film bug lately and using my nikon f75 but want something more compact so want to give a Bessa RF a shot.
i prefer 28 mm focal length. Would i have a problem using in terms of viewing and focussing with a Bessa R4?

akkers

Last edited:
Hi,
i have relatively thick specs -4.5 on both eyes. WOuld it be difficult to use rangefinder cameras? I have been bitten by the film bug lately and using my nikon f75 but want something more compact so want to give a Bessa RF a shot.
i prefer 28 mm focal length. Would i have a problem using in terms of viewing and focussing with a Bessa R4?

akkers

Shouldn't be. My eyeside is around ~300 deg. Just get the appropriate diopters and you should be fine.

Thanks! I guess i should try them out to see if comfortable.
@Nazgulking - are u a Bessa user? How has your experience been ?

Thanks! I guess i should try them out to see if comfortable.
@Nazgulking - are u a Bessa user? How has your experience been ?
They are decent cameras for what they are.

Just that you will start craving for something better eventually. :bsmilie:

I'd say Bessa are really good for value cameras. My R4M feels good in my hands. So far, I haven't had the urge to convert to German technology yet because my Bessa has been so trusty for me over the past 4 years. I'd rather save the money for better lenses and more films and continue with my R4M. ;)

Bessa 4 is excellent for wide angle. Iirc u can use 21mm without need for external OVF.

For 50mm, go for Bessa 3. Its amazing feeling to focus with both eyes open. Bessa 3 is true 1:1- no magnification.

In this sense, Bessas are great for composition in the viewfinder.