Unauthorized Debit Card Transaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its just a generic forum account / email account, doing a quick check I see "DBS" posting all over the SG forums, HWZ, SGForums, and more. They seem to be legitimate, using this email most of the time and usually answering the questions. Furthermore its a @dbs.com domain for the email so you're in fairly safe hands I would say. Non DBS staff won't be allowed to use a @dbs.com email account surely. Perhaps drop him/her an email and see if he/she can genuinely help.

Last edited:
I have verify that the said user is indeed from DBS base on her/his registration email address and IP address.

I am Tiffany from DBS Bank. We saw your post and would like to see how we may help. We would need to find out details of the transaction in order to assist you on this matter. If possible, you can email your contact details to wanda@dbs.com and I will get in touch with you.

you can do a google on the email add, it has been popping up in local forums.

I pointed out the discrepency of her stated gender and names, but stopped short of calling her a fraud because I wasn't sure either way. I wanted the TS to be very careful giving out financial info to a stranger. I did verify that the mailto link does indeed go to dbs.com. I further verified that dbs.com is indeed owned by DBS, though I was initially puzzled that it was not dbs.com.sg. Can't be too careful these days.

The problem I see with debit cards is when you loose the card, EVERYONE can use it to debit your account without the need for a PIN, cause it can be used as a 'credit card' through the VISA/MASTER system.......

Just look at how many merchants look at your signature......

HS

For those holding debit cards the risk is very high. As Hongsien mentioned, someone can use your card as a "credit card" type of transaction by just forging your signature or scribing something on the charge slip. I lost abt $2K plus when this happen.

The best part is that the transactions do not appear in your account immediately. Even if you call the bank, the person on the phone may not even see your transactions until a few days later. There is nothing you can do about it since the money has already been deducted from your account as compared to a credit card where you can refuse to pay.

So be warned. and try to cancel your debit card if you don't need one.

Many banks now have a virtual keyboard to log in your password, or have a secondary pin generating machine (HSBC, UOB has) so these scammers can't use this method of 'reading' your keyboard anymore to log in......cause everytime you need to type in another number which they don't know

still, i m very very kiasi!!! a nice excuse to disallow online transaction by the other significant half! HA!

Status
Not open for further replies.