Top 10 reasons why you'll choose d5000 over d90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having fewer dials makes it less intimidating?
To adjust ISO sensitivity, what i do is
1) press and hold ISO button
2) turn the command dial till the ISO value I want
3) release the ISO button

Tell me how this is less simple than having to configure the Fn button to set ISO sensitivity.

If im not mistaken the d90 has 4 buttons and 2 dials as opposed to just 2 buttons and 1 dial for the d5k, these 2 buttons and 1 dial can also do what the 4 buttons and 2 dials can do so that's what made it simpler and less intimidating (for me)..and about the ISO, after you configure the Fn button in your custom setting, you can adjust the ISO sensitivity the same way:
1) press and hold Fn button
3) release the Fn button
aside from the aperture, shutter speed, exposure, ISO all the rest of the settings would be set using the menu shortcut button..as a noob casual shooter, those 4 settings are my most frequently changed and thus the dedicated control for them..

Last edited:
If im not mistaken the d90 has 4 buttons and 2 dials as opposed to just 2 buttons and 1 dial for the d5k, these 2 buttons and 1 dial can also do what the 4 buttons and 2 dials can do so that's what made it simpler and less intimidating (for me)..and about the ISO, after you configure the Fn button in your custom setting, you can adjust the ISO sensitivity the same way:
3) release the Fn button
aside from the aperture, shutter speed, exposure, ISO all the rest of the settings would be set using the menu shortcut button..as a noob casual shooter, those 4 settings are my most frequently changed and thus the dedicated control for them..

More buttons and dials is easier to use because in that case, each button and dial will be dedicated to its own function and there will be no need to browse through the menu to change the usual adjustment. In fact don't even have to look at main lcd. Like for instance if you have many buttons and dials, then maybe it will be like...

aperture: dial A
shutter speed: dial B
iso: button A+dial A
wb: button A+dial B
shooting rate: button B+dial A
focus point: button B+ dial B
flash exposure: button C+dial A
metering mode: button C+dial B
exposure: button D+dial A

You may not use all the functions today, you may not use all the functions tomorrow, but someday when you need it, it is already there and you don't have to reassign. Initially you might feel weird with more buttons and dials, especially if you don't know what each icon means, but once you get used to where they are, they make adjustment a lot faster.

I don't own a nikon, but from my little bit experience of using a friend's d90, the top lcd, viewfinder and good grip feel already more than worth the extra $300.

Btw, not sure if someone already pointed out, the STREET PRICE(I.E. THE PRICE YOU WILL AND CAN GET AT MOST GOOD CAMERA SHOPS) of the d90 body is only around $1350. Kit with the 18-105mm is only $16XX which is just $300 more than the d5000 body.

Some shops can bundle the d90 body with the same 18-55 kit lens that comes with the d5000 kit. Price is usually between $1480-$1500. Just $300 or so more than the street price of the d5000kit.

If you want to compare, compare apple to apple.

LoL...

he/she really scored with the bombs for this...

Top 1 reasons why i didn't buy D300

1) Too many buttons

LoL...

he/she really scored with the bombs for this...

Top 1 reasons why i didn't buy D300

1) Too many buttons

Top 1 reason why I didnt't buy D300..... NO $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:sweatsm::sweatsm:

Also.... 300 all died in the end..... what you expect? Fight in undies, a shield and a helmet only???

Last edited:
3) release the Fn button

Your argument maybe true for people who are new to DSLR and see the camera for the first time. Once he starts to use the camera and learns more about ISO, WB...and use them often, the extra buttons and dials are great help and not intimidating. A proper guidance is to tell them more is better. :)

I once assigned WB to the only function key (default is timer) on my camera thinking that I was unlikely to use timer, and few days later, I need timer. It took me awhile going through the menu to reassign the key when I have forgotten the steps. I must admit I am very poor in handling menu on LCD. It didn't help when everybody was looking at me struggling with the setting. :sweat:

I agree that two buttons and one dial are sufficient but 4 buttons and 2 dials are beautiful.

Aiyo...!!!~~ Why all so loh so one....??? D5000 good, D90 also good. Need more buttons? Go to the tailor and buy. Ask him to sew them onto your camera.

Please lah..... I think the TS kenna internal injury liao. Stop bashing him liao. Don't wanna see a murder case here.

If you want something that is better than D5000 and D90? Stick the 2 bodies together and call it D5090.... Both parties will be happy then.

Who will be the 1st to own a D5090?:think::think:

Status
Not open for further replies.