Top 10 reasons why you'll choose d5000 over d90

Status
Not open for further replies.
now you're steering away from the top 10 lol..to each his own man as you've said, maybe they offer 0% installment, they offer member rewards points, they are more stable, convenient, different sets of freebies etc..cmon man stop the bashing and let's focus on the top 10..

Right. and Mustafa sells the D90 kit at 1799 with ability to use credit card, and credit card installments at no additional costs. And what price do HN, BEST and CHallenger sell their D90 Kit? 1988?? really?

What I am saying is that people need to be responsible for what they say or post online. You already mentioned yourself that you started this thread with less than honorable intentions in the beginning. I am just showing you that intentions in one thing, presenting wrong information and presenting them as 'facts' is also not a good thing to do. If you noticed, you have to keep changing your points as everyone here is shooting holes through your posts. THINK before you write anything.

thank you..this is what im hoping for, newbies can easily relate to newbies alike..from what i observe, d40 users usually upgrade to d90 coz they feel limited by the simple controls and they want a top lcd..so the d5k is targeted more at first time users.

And when you posted your initial post, before any of the editing, god knows how many readers you misled already.

Ok. I will end here. No more posts in thread. Have fun with your D5000.

Last edited:
I am just replying to you. You asked me to watch my mouth. While I informed you that ignorant is not a dirty or bad word. I am not affected. Are you?

ok so now can we stop this already?

Right. and Mustafa sells the D90 kit at 1799 with ability to use credit card, and credit card installments at no additional costs. And what price do HN, BEST and CHallenger sell their D90 Kit? 1988?? really?

What I am saying is that people need to be responsible for what they say or post online. You already mentioned yourself that you started this thread with less than honorable intentions in the beginning. I am just showing you that intentions in one thing, presenting wrong information and presenting them as 'facts' is also not a good thing to do. If you noticed, you have to keep changing your points as everyone here is shooting holes through your posts. THINK before you write anything.

And when you posted your initial post, before any of the editing, god knows how many readers you misled already.

Ok. I will end here. No more posts in thread. Have fun with your D5000.

that's why its a forum, if not for you I have not been enlightened so thanks for that..hope you can see more holes in my new top ten so i can revise it further..

suggest u to close this thread. getting damn messy around here

no man, let others see what is wrong so as not to repeat the same mistake..me i've learned a lot from this..this is my first posting in a forum you see..thanks

This is an interesting thread. Learn so much from it.

I am a newbie. I bought a D40 two months ago.

D5000 and D90 were not in my list. I wanted a simple entry level DSLR to start taking pictures and found D40 meeting my needs after reading some reviews.

Two months passed, what would be very helpful to me?

Many but these two are what I like to have -

1. Two more buttons and one more dial
2. A top LCD

When a newbie shoots more pictures and begin to understand and appreciate the different camera settings for good shots, he will appreciate these two features.

Good for you.... I started with a D40 as well. You will surely move up the model as you improved. Even if you don't, D40 is a very good body for everyday photography.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

no man, let others see what is wrong so as not to repeat the same mistake..me i've learned a lot from this..this is my first posting in a forum you see..thanks

close already, people still can read just can't post... but anyways if u r still inviting comments then forget it...

Good for you.... I started with a D40 as well. You will surely move up the model as you improved. Even if you don't, D40 is a very good body for everyday photography.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I love my D40. You are right, it is a very good body for everyday photography. It is a classic, I will keep it even if I upgrade my camera. And being part of the large D40 community is a nice thing.

Since this thread is about d5000 and d90, my apology for getting out of topic.

I love my D40. You are right, it is a very good body for everyday photography. It is a classic, I will keep it even if I upgrade my camera. And being part of the large D40 community is a nice thing.

Since this thread is about d5000 and d90, my apology for getting out of topic.

Don't worry, I am sure one of these days you will join the club. Be it D5000 or D90. See you then. Meanwhile keep shooting. I once read from some pro's quote:

"The first 10,000 shots are rubbish. The good ones come after" I think it's something like that. So, I am still taking rubbish.....

Anyway, guys, stop bashing the TS. I think he has learn his lesson not the stir up the hornets' nest.

TS, hope you learnt your lesson. Be humble, I am still a rubbish photographer. I am learning from the pros by 'sucking up' to them. Don't criticise their gear. If he/she can take wonderful photo with his/her handphone, that might be the 10,001st photo.

Think TS should change his thread title a bit..

Top 10 reasons why I chose d5000 over d90

1) Because I got sweet-talked by salesman into buying D5000
10) Because I thought more numbers is better

Your top 10 reasons still a bit funny..

You cannot get a 35mm 1.8, the flash and a zoom lens if you get the D5000 over the D90, unless your D5000 was purchased 2nd hand in bad shape or something.

Video mode on the D90 and D5000 proves to be rather unuseful due to its tendency to "jelly"

Last edited:
hahaaa... that's a good one..

Wow didn't expect this thread to be so hot! I first read TS original top ten yesterday and thought he was really just ranting his preference out and not giving a serious review from an objective point of view. Maybe his mistake is to put the title as "Top 10 reasons why you'll choose d5000 over d90", I think a title of "Top 10 reasons why I chose d5000 over d90" would definitely generate a very different response from fellow bros here, not to forget also TS' original tone of writing (no offense).

While since we are on this D5000 vs D90, let me (definitely a noob) share my personal feel about D5K (definitely sounds more pro :p), since I have been using it since it's first launch (1st May I still remember) till now and already thinking of upgrading to D90.

Reasons why I bought D5k:

- New model! As a noob, after seeing a newly released entry-level DSLR and an affordable price of $1299, I immediately went ahead with it. FYI, I wanted to get FUJI S100FS before decided to just top it up and get a DSLR.

- Like most ignorant buyers, I did not knew about cheap deals at "neighbourhood" stalls (in fact I got my D5k at Audio House), thus was turned off by the "expensive" D90 back then.

- Still ignorant, was attracted by the same sensor as D90.

- Attracted by the movie mode (didn't know D90 also has, IGNORANT again)

- Definitely attracted by the swivel LCD screen!

Why I did not regret buying D5k:

- As TS mentioned, the 19 pre-set modes in the "SCENE" (TS mentioned 20) was really useful for someone like me who knew nuts about "A", "S" "M" and "P". I still remember my first shot of sunset was taken with the pre-set "sunset" mode and only after a few photos then I knew what "A" and "S" settings are for sunset. With that, I was able to toggle with the "A" and exposure to get different effects.

- It's light but not too small for my hand (I have big hands)

- Noise level is really good. Been taking quite a lot of ISO1600 shots and they are still very use-able.

- The buttons are all very well spaced out and have a nice feel to it. (try playing with EOS500D, you will know what I mean. sorry for digressing)

- My photos inspired a few friends of mine to get DSLR. They bought their camera recently at COMEX and have one friend eyeing my D5k already!

What made me dislike D5k:

- Less than a month of purchase, my D5k bonk-out! Took almost 10 days to get it fix. Put yourself in the shoe of a consumer with a newly purchase item which died within a month. Not a good feeling I must say and nearly made me lose confidence in NIKON.

- The swivel screen which Mr daredevil (*sucking up* - i've read some of your comments in other threads as well, totally enlightening! learning new things from you everyday) mentioned is a total design flaw. Forget about moving your screen when it is mount onto the tripod.

- No autofocus motor built into the body means limited lens I can buy.

- No top LCD screen for me to adjust settings. Think it's a waste of batt to keep turning on the LCD to do settings, doesn't help with the fact that D5k batt life is shorter than D90 (correct me if i'm wrong here).

- The viewfinder is too small and dark.

What makes me want to upgrade from D5k:

- I want DOF Preview. I used to think this is quite useless especially now we can have instant feedback from the photo review from the LCD. But after using my girl's G1 which offers DOF review, I find this function is really useful in helping me to adjust before taking each shot. Can reduce the times that "delete" button is pressed for unsatisfied photos.

- I want external battery grip. For that extra batt life and vertical grip! Really awkward to take vertical shots with your arm strained!

- I want dedicated controls (sound more and more like I am answering to all the reasons TS posted for people who want D90 more than D5k).

As of now, I am still very satisfied with what my D5k can do and I will still recommend to anyone who are new to DSLR but will also pose them a question of whether they are serious photographer. If they are just casual photographer who wants better picture quality than a PnS then D5k will definitely do an excellent job (think of the guys here mentioned this point).

Sadly, never did I know I will get addicted to photography, although still a noob but the desire to shoot better with better equipped camera has made me tilting more towards D90 now (damn, never knew I would say this when I first bought D5k).

Just my 2 cents worth. Pls correct me if i'm wrong in any of the above posted info. Any more info to tempt me towards getting D90 would be greatly appreciated =D

Wow didn't expect this thread to be so hot! I first read TS original top ten yesterday and thought he was really just ranting his preference out and not giving a serious review from an objective point of view. Maybe his mistake is to put the title as "Top 10 reasons why you'll choose d5000 over d90", I think a title of "Top 10 reasons why I chose d5000 over d90" would definitely generate a very different response from fellow bros here, not to forget also TS' original tone of writing (no offense).

While since we are on this D5000 vs D90, let me (definitely a noob) share my personal feel about D5K (definitely sounds more pro :p), since I have been using it since it's first launch (1st May I still remember) till now and already thinking of upgrading to D90.

Reasons why I bought D5k:

- New model! As a noob, after seeing a newly released entry-level DSLR and an affordable price of $1299, I immediately went ahead with it. FYI, I wanted to get FUJI S100FS before decided to just top it up and get a DSLR.

- Like most ignorant buyers, I did not knew about cheap deals at "neighbourhood" stalls (in fact I got my D5k at Audio House), thus was turned off by the "expensive" D90 back then.

- Still ignorant, was attracted by the same sensor as D90.

- Attracted by the movie mode (didn't know D90 also has, IGNORANT again)

- Definitely attracted by the swivel LCD screen!

Why I did not regret buying D5k:

- As TS mentioned, the 19 pre-set modes in the "SCENE" (TS mentioned 20) was really useful for someone like me who knew nuts about "A", "S" "M" and "P". I still remember my first shot of sunset was taken with the pre-set "sunset" mode and only after a few photos then I knew what "A" and "S" settings are for sunset. With that, I was able to toggle with the "A" and exposure to get different effects.

- It's light but not too small for my hand (I have big hands)

- Noise level is really good. Been taking quite a lot of ISO1600 shots and they are still very use-able.

- The buttons are all very well spaced out and have a nice feel to it. (try playing with EOS500D, you will know what I mean. sorry for digressing)

- My photos inspired a few friends of mine to get DSLR. They bought their camera recently at COMEX and have one friend eyeing my D5k already!

What made me dislike D5k:

- Less than a month of purchase, my D5k bonk-out! Took almost 10 days to get it fix. Put yourself in the shoe of a consumer with a newly purchase item which died within a month. Not a good feeling I must say and nearly made me lose confidence in NIKON.

- The swivel screen which Mr daredevil (*sucking up* - i've read some of your comments in other threads as well, totally enlightening! learning new things from you everyday) mentioned is a total design flaw. Forget about moving your screen when it is mount onto the tripod.

- No autofocus motor built into the body means limited lens I can buy.

- No top LCD screen for me to adjust settings. Think it's a waste of batt to keep turning on the LCD to do settings, doesn't help with the fact that D5k batt life is shorter than D90 (correct me if i'm wrong here).

- The viewfinder is too small and dark.

What makes me want to upgrade from D5k:

- I want DOF Preview. I used to think this is quite useless especially now we can have instant feedback from the photo review from the LCD. But after using my girl's G1 which offers DOF review, I find this function is really useful in helping me to adjust before taking each shot. Can reduce the times that "delete" button is pressed for unsatisfied photos.

- I want external battery grip. For that extra batt life and vertical grip! Really awkward to take vertical shots with your arm strained!

- I want dedicated controls (sound more and more like I am answering to all the reasons TS posted for people who want D90 more than D5k).

As of now, I am still very satisfied with what my D5k can do and I will still recommend to anyone who are new to DSLR but will also pose them a question of whether they are serious photographer. If they are just casual photographer who wants better picture quality than a PnS then D5k will definitely do an excellent job (think of the guys here mentioned this point).

Sadly, never did I know I will get addicted to photography, although still a noob but the desire to shoot better with better equipped camera has made me tilting more towards D90 now (damn, never knew I would say this when I first bought D5k).

Just my 2 cents worth. Pls correct me if i'm wrong in any of the above posted info. Any more info to tempt me towards getting D90 would be greatly appreciated =D

thanks for sharing and the lengthy reply! newbies can definitely relate to your experience..the main selling point for me really is the size..yah definitely d90 are for serious photographers

thanks for sharing and the lengthy reply! newbies can definitely relate to your experience..the main selling point for me really is the size..yah definitely d90 are for serious photographers

Who knows in few mths down the road, TS will get more passion on photography n want get more control of the camera n maybe will upgrade the body. (not necessary D90) :) i believe some of us (D90) have gone throught this stage. regardless is noob or serious photographers......

"this is my first posting in a forum you see.." never ever get excuses from this sentence :nono: hee.. hee.. i get bombaded before.. wrong is wrong doesn't matter is first or second or third.. XD you can't tell the judge saying that " sorry this is my first time killing......you see..." ha..ha...so we learned our lesson. ;)

Only 1 reason why D90 is better than D5000 for me........ because I own one...... :bsmilie::bsmilie: lol

Think TS should change his thread title a bit..
Top 10 reasons why I chose d5000 over d90

1) Because I got sweet-talked by salesman into buying D5000
10) Because I thought more numbers is better

Hope that all other newbies or soon-to-be newbies can learn one thing from here...

If someone will gain from selling you an item, don't trust him completely.

Most sales people will "push" for the more expensive brand (for commission), or the cheaper brands (coz the people who did their homework won't buy it), or whatever. IF they're pushing one camera towards you, seriously think twice before you're buying it.

1 hour on this forums digging around will save you SGD$1000 in a choice you may regret later. Do read up a little, and take salespeople with a pinch of salt.

That said, there ARE some really honest folks out there... but then again, maybe I just agreed with their recommendation ;p

(For the record, a salesperson was trying to push me their E-520 that was "HOT seller", I decided for a 1000D in the end and have a few friends who agreed that the canon deal was more worth it)

Cheers =)

gimumancer said:
1. IF you don't own and don't plan to buy manual focus lens. I suggest do a thorough research on what lens suit you. This is the most important aspect to consider, you can ignore #2-10 but not this. If you ask me, I only see myself owning at most 3-4 lens in my life time as I don't see myself becoming a serious photographer. These are my planned gears: 1 portrait/prime lens, 1 fast mid range zoom, 1 fast long range zoom. With those type of lenses, I am sure I can find good nikkor/3rd party compatible for the d5k.

AF-lenses are still auto-focus, not MANUAL FOCUS.
Just that they aren't able to auto-focus with the entry-level Nikons such as D3000, D5000, D60.
The cheap n good AF-Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D is a perfect example of a lens that is still being produced, that is auto-focus capable on D90 and up.
A manual-focus lens will be manual focus only, regardless of what camera you mount it on.

gimumancer said:
3. The controls are simpler and not intimidating from a beginners point of view. No dedicated dial for shutter speed. If you are a first time user, then there is no problem getting used to this setup. I configured ISO in the fn button as shortcut because it's the setting I often change.

Having fewer dials makes it less intimidating?
To adjust ISO sensitivity, what i do is
1) press and hold ISO button
2) turn the command dial till the ISO value I want
3) release the ISO button

Tell me how this is less simple than having to configure the Fn button to set ISO sensitivity.

AF-lenses are still auto-focus, not MANUAL FOCUS.
Just that they aren't able to auto-focus with the entry-level Nikons such as D3000, D5000, D60.
The cheap n good AF-Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D is a perfect example of a lens that is still being produced, that is auto-focus capable on D90 and up.
A manual-focus lens will be manual focus only, regardless of what camera you mount it on.

I was thinking in d5k's perspective, ok just to be clear maybe i should change "manual focus lens" to "lens that won't auto focus on the d5k"

Status
Not open for further replies.