Tokina 11-16 Bokeh

dapr0digy

Nov 26, 2009
France
www.pbase.com
Hi Guys,

Im just wondering if this bokeh is normal for the Tokina 11-16 @ f2.8.
It seems a little harsh for me. :eek: Any comments.

On reviews the bokeh was supposed to be smooth and apparently good. Im just wondering now if it might be a lens problem for me ..

Landscapes are nice n crisp .. no complaints there. :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance.

large.jpg

Hi Guys,

Im just wondering if this bokeh is normal for the Tokina 11-16 @ f2.8.
It seems a little harsh for me. :eek: Any comments.

On reviews the bokeh was supposed to be smooth and apparently good. Im just wondering now if it might be a lens problem for me ..

Landscapes are nice n crisp .. no complaints there. :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance.

large.jpg

whoa, that is harsh.

I was under the impression that uwa doesn't give good bokehs.. I myself own a 11-16 aswell and have not used it to get bokehs.

That does not look right, do you have other shots?

Not at the moment. thats why I posted this to see if other Tokina users are having the same kind of results.

I was under the impression that uwa doesn't give good bokehs.. I myself own a 11-16 aswell and have not used it to get bokehs.

i dont disagree with your statement that UWAs are not mean to give good bokehs.. but come on .. this bokeh is ridiculous dont you reckon? my intent here is to find out if its specific .. ie my lens or if this is the characteristic of this lens .. which if it is then ah well .. ill just not use wide apertures for close in shots.. and just reserve it for low light conditions.

thanks for the comments tho guys. hope others will comment also and see if this is happening to you guys. (hopefully not tho).

the bokeh is round, look at the highlights in the bg. therefore if you can throw bg out of focus, theoretically it will be nice.

the trouble is that for uwa, it is very, very, very hard to throw bg out of focus, so it seems harsh

you go and shoot with your 50mm nice nice bokeh, put the background nearer a bit to whatever you are focusing on.. same effect.

the bokeh is round, look at the highlights in the bg. therefore if you can throw bg out of focus, theoretically it will be nice.

the trouble is that for uwa, it is very, very, very hard to throw bg out of focus, so it seems harsh

you go and shoot with your 50mm nice nice bokeh, put the background nearer a bit to whatever you are focusing on.. same effect.

good to know thanks. new to UWAs and this one just seemed a little weird.

As night86mare have stated, UWA difficult to get bokeh, but you may want to try at 16mm. Also, may I know where you read about the UWA able to produce nice bokeh?

Don't worry, UWA lenses are never known to create good bokeh. f2.8 allows us to shoot in lower light conditions.

Strongly agreed with TheChef. Rgrds.:)

I just tried with my Tokina 11-16, similiar result, pretty harsh bokeh. However, it doesn't bother me much - for me this lens is almost purely for landscape.

I just tried with my Tokina 11-16, similiar result, pretty harsh bokeh. However, it doesn't bother me much - for me this lens is almost purely for landscape.

firstrazor,

sweet thanks. i just needed some kinda confirmation that its not lens specific (ie a defect on my lens) but the general characteristic on the lens.

do you mind posting your test photo?

well .. after some testing im convinced it is the lens. but at smaller apertures i have no complaints.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

The flower reminds me of my days in shanghai. They grew tonnes of it along the roads. To be frank I don't recall my tokina giving me any bohek., not becuase it can't , just that it is difficult and just that I never use it for that purpose.