To buy: 40D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 40D kit 2 last year for $2550.
On hindsight and given the price reduction of 40D, I would go with the 40D body and 17-40L for close to what I had paid for if I were to do it again.

MS COLOR SAVES THE DAY....

Some of you might already have read that I went through a bit of bumps (read herebefore I managed to get my Canon 40D from MS color on Saturday 14 June 2008.

I bought the camera in anticipation for the arrival of my baby girl this saturday 21 June 2008. That gave me a bit of time to get familar with the camera. Then, last night, 18 June 2008, the 40D died on me. As in, I was taking some pictures... and it shut down. Battery recharged, and still didn't turn on.

The following day, I called Canon to ask what recourse I had, given that the camera (a DSLR, not a PNS) worked for all of 3 nights before it died. They said, well, they can try to put in a request for a faster repair turnaround. I am like, well... errr.. how about you try to replace the set for me? I mean... No reason I should live with a lemon that broke down and had to be repaired within 3 days right?

Well, he was very helpful, but my disappointment was that there wasn't a replacement set for me.

I wanted to give up and just send down the camera to harbourfront and pray that they repair it in time, but I decided to give MS color a call. I spoke to Ken and then spoke to Florence. While I explained to Florence why I needed the camera urgently to see if they can help, she made a gesture which I didn't expect from a retailer. I mean, it's something I expect from the distributor (Canon) and not the retailer. She offered to unpack on of her sets and exchange the body with my dead set.

Of course, she did some routine checking as well as asking if there was more time I could spare for her to try to get Canon to help. But when I told her that I was kinda in a fix as to the timings, she made that offer, which I wasn't expecting.

I must say this, guys, with this level of support and their sincerest aim to satisfy their customers, I give them a million thumbs up :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: There is no reason for me to go to another retailer to get my stuff in the future anymore. Even if there might be other places selling the stuff cheaper. If MS color keeps up this level of support and service, they've got me as a customer for life.:lovegrin:

Which MS color is this? I'd head there to get my set too.

The one at the Food court (main shop), not the amk one. Look for Ken or florence (not there whole day). And you're free to mention my case so he'll know to accord you the same level of service. According to him, I'm like that one in a few hundreds of the 40D that faced the problem. But they made the problem disappear. SOLID and KUDOS to them. I am sure you will enjoy the experience there.

Thanks for the heads up peek, its great to hear of such level of service having come from a service based industry as well and knowing how difficult it is at times.

Honestly, I am in AWE of MS Color. I just feel that they have gone the extra extra mile and I haven't had such an good experience from any retailer in recent memory. I am just too used to the Sim Lim retailer's tag line :"oh, this one you have to bring to distributor".

MS Color all the way man. Yes yes, blatant advertisements for them but hey, I feel they deserve the good words.

Honestly, I am in AWE of MS Color. I just feel that they have gone the extra extra mile and I haven't had such an good experience from any retailer in recent memory. I am just too used to the Sim Lim retailer's tag line :"oh, this one you have to bring to distributor".

MS Color all the way man. Yes yes, blatant advertisements for them but hey, I feel they deserve the good words.

yea i think that they are good :) the other branch isn't as good but still good :p ups for MS :) hahaha

I bought my 40D from MS Colour too!

Great service! :thumbsup:

Is it 1580 for the body?

I'm keeping tabs with this post all along and I'd like to enquire for my setup;

As for me, I love to take candid shots. Portraits sometimes. Most of the time, my shots will happen indoors, which wont be a problem, coz I have 430EX to compliment my S5 IS. But I found out that my S5 isnt as responsive (fast enuf) for me to capture candids even with the 430EX. And for outdoors, I tend to take night shots.

I am aiming these "kit" to fulfill my shooting needs;
EOS 40D body
Sigma 18-50mm f2.8
Prime 50mm f1.8

Pls do comment and make necessary changes if needed to the setup I was thinking above.

However, do you think the offer in bargaincity is worth it? $1799 for 40D body with a whole lot of freebies? I thought of getting it there.

I saw the bundled 1799 at bargain city, not v attractive as after you breakdown the cost, its more expensive than say a body only @ 1560-1580 from the other shops.

Why the sigma 17-50 f2.8? Why not tamron?

I saw the bundled 1799 at bargain city, not v attractive as after you breakdown the cost, its more expensive than say a body only @ 1560-1580 from the other shops.

Why the sigma 17-50 f2.8? Why not tamron?
I've tried my friend's Sigma and its proven quality. So I dunno abt tamron tho.

Who abt the 24-70mm f2.8L?
Considering this too if its worth it.

Y not get Sony? Cos u'll get Super Steady Shots with all the Lens you buy. Hehe
;p

;p

I've yet to read and find out abt Sony alpha dslr.
I've been using Canon cameras all along and I think it difficult for me to come outta my comfort zone.

I've tried my friend's Sigma and its proven quality. So I dunno abt tamron tho.

Who abt the 24-70mm f2.8L?
Considering this too if its worth it.

Yeah of course it's worth. Are you willing to pay for it though? Unless you have a budget of more than 3k, you can skip this.

;p

Because Super SteadyShot (SSS) cannot optimally correct for shake at all focal lengths as well as specific IS catered for a focal length. Of course, you realise that at longer focal lengths, there is more obvious shake than at shorter ones.

Have been using my trusted 10D.... was lured to the "orange" side recently...I am back to the "white" side now after 2mths...Got a 40D recently and feel like home when I hold on to it...:)

Yeah of course it's worth. Are you willing to pay for it though? Unless you have a budget of more than 3k, you can skip this.
I'm willing to pay but have to shift the budget for other lens though. Should I get this lens, the minimum length I will get is 38.4mm on 40D. Will it be wide enough for group shots? Or should I just stick to my original lens setup with 50mm f1.8 prime?

I'm willing to pay but have to shift the budget for other lens though. Should I get this lens, the minimum length I will get is 38.4mm on 40D. Will it be wide enough for group shots? Or should I just stick to my original lens setup with 50mm f1.8 prime?

I think that really depends on the space available for you to move back. If you are willing to pay for the 24-70f2.8, why not consider 17-55f2.8IS? You will gain on the wide side, also constant 2.8 and in addition, it has IS. For IQ wise, I suppose it might not beat the 24-70L. But it does produce great pictures. It is a great combo with the 40D.
Of course, if you are looking at FF in the future, then is a different story as it is an EF-S lens.

Just my two cents. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.