Tips for staying inspired, motivated and finding the time

There is always time to do things, you just have to set it aside.

Work still comes first, of course.

Just leave your camera at home, and find a nice quiet spot.Don't think of work or friends, etc, just look around and look at the people. Then imagine capturing those moments. That's when I get itchy hands and am inspired to shoot more.

Would you guys share some tips/suggestions for keeping your self inspired and motivated to shoot? Also, how to manage and squeeze out time to go out and shoot as well. Greatly appreciate any tips/suggestions.

bring your cam whenever possible coz there's always 1 or 2 moment you wish you could capture...haha...ya...don't really have the luxury to shoot unless wake up 6 on sat/sun to shoot. I know some of them do so...respect:thumbsup:

Would you guys share some tips/suggestions for keeping your self inspired and motivated to shoot? Also, how to manage and squeeze out time to go out and shoot as well. Greatly appreciate any tips/suggestions.

For me, these are my inspiration & motivation

1) Photo contest
Join a photo contest, you have good reason to go out and take great photos

2) Life upgrading
On Saturday, I have only have 2 choices
a) stay at home and listen to deafening life upgrading noise :angry:
or
b) go out and take photos to enjoy some peace and quiet :D

3) Girlfriend
On Sunday, I need to help her carry her Canon 50D with her lens bag and tripod.

If my tips don't help, look at this video ( 8 secret of successful people )

http://http://www.ted.com/talks/richard_st_john_s_8_secrets_of_success.html

Last edited:
Hmm.
I need to accept lesser weddings... 3 on a weekend is leaving me enough backlog to last me a month.

and its starting to get monotonous with all the "standard" wedding schedules, and "standard" wedding shots people want.

i think its time for a retreat to recuperate the mind and bring it back to creativity

Try looking for "Woah!" shots on here and on flickr. That should keep you inspired, I think. And when you're inspired, you'll find time. :)

Last edited:
Dont force it.... you cannot be on a constant high on ANYTHING....... I advise you to go with the ups and downs through the cycles

Been through at least 3-4 major cycles over the years ..... if it happens... it happens.... if it does not..... move on to something else that inspires you ....

and i say this with all good intentions , peace...

It's really frustrating when you're stuck on a plateau: pictures are OK, you're not regressing but you're not progressing either. And it continues for a few months and you start to give up. :(

It's really frustrating when you're stuck on a plateau: pictures are OK, you're not regressing but you're not progressing either. And it continues for a few months and you start to give up. :(

Yea, it's inevitable. Really sucks when you're in a rut.

Get friends with same hobby can share and go out to shoot...More fun

To know that it is ok to take a break, and come back another time

Do not be confused about what you love to do...... I have known so many people who realized that it is not photography that they love and stay motivated about....... its actually the love for different things.... and the wish to capture that through photography..... like nature, the outdoors, travel, curiosity about different cultures, strange shapes etc etc etc ...... and the camera equipment are just tools to capture what they love

Last edited:
Do not be confused about what you love to do...... I have known so many people who realized that it is not photography that they love and stay motivated about....... its actually the love for different things.... and the wish to capture that through photography..... like nature, the outdoors, travel, curiosity about different cultures, strange shapes etc etc etc ...... and the camera equipment are just tools to capture what they love

:thumbsup:

it is a bit of everything. sometimes it's just an excuse to be able to stand in the middle of sea pretending to photograph... otherwise, it would be really weird, won't it? :bsmilie:

bring your cam whenever possible coz there's always 1 or 2 moment you wish you could capture...haha...ya...don't really have the luxury to shoot unless wake up 6 on sat/sun to shoot. I know some of them do so...respect:thumbsup:

Actually it is fun to wake up at 4:30-5am and go out to shoot a sunrise on weekends. So peaceful and beautiful... One of my favorite activities come weekend. ;)

Dont force it.... you cannot be on a constant high on ANYTHING....... I advise you to go with the ups and downs through the cycles

Been through at least 3-4 major cycles over the years ..... if it happens... it happens.... if it does not..... move on to something else that inspires you ....

and i say this with all good intentions , peace...

Fortunately most of us doing this as a hobby, not work. Yeah, things have cycles and ups/downs. The trick is handling the down and how to move out of it. Sometimes we don't and maybe it's time to move on to something else ;)

if its anything, it has to be PASSION!!! the LOVE for photography and all things photography!

I leave my camera in my bag all the time and bring my camera with me almost everywhere.

Good timing to take pictures would be before and after work. Just plan to when you would like to go shooting and bring your tripod along. Leave the house around 5 and shoot till you need to go to work. After work, you can try to catch the sunset. I do this maybe about one to two times a week.