Time to buy a EOS 20D body now

Status
Not open for further replies.
GPMP 500 rounds cannot run out in one trigger burst squeeze...unless you are arnold. hehehe

I am not a GPMG gunner.... prefer to be sniper. Make every shot count. ;)

USM said:
Given the falling price of EOS 20D and possibility of a replacement model due soon, should I buy a 20d body now?

Decision. :dunno:

TCW is selling brand new 20d body with 1 year shop warranty for $1,950. Look very tempting. ;p

Will it not be better time to buy when the NEW MODEL is out??

SHould be even lower right? Only issue is if there is any stock left right?? :think:

actually, being a nature and sports shooter myself, i find the 20D more than sufficient for 98% of jobs. I used to shoot with a 1d and a 1dmk2 but downgraded as i quit freelance to conc. on other stuff. Even with the top 9fps cameras, you will still miss the clincher and u're really better off trying to get it right on the first shot. This applies both to nature and sports. While the AF system in the 1 series is good, usually by the 3rd or 4th shot, it will still be out of focus. The 20D is not that far off from this either. That said, the lowlight performance is horrid compared to a 1 series and i somehow doubt a replacement will improve that by much.

szekiat said:
actually, being a nature and sports shooter myself, i find the 20D more than sufficient for 98% of jobs. I used to shoot with a 1d and a 1dmk2 but downgraded as i quit freelance to conc. on other stuff. Even with the top 9fps cameras, you will still miss the clincher and u're really better off trying to get it right on the first shot. This applies both to nature and sports. While the AF system in the 1 series is good, usually by the 3rd or 4th shot, it will still be out of focus. The 20D is not that far off from this either. That said, the lowlight performance is horrid compared to a 1 series and i somehow doubt a replacement will improve that by much.

Well described, but too bad i don't own a DSLR :(

hmm i thought our brother USM is aiming for EF 500mmf4 L IS USM? :cool: ;)

Snoweagle said:
Tried the 400mm f5.6L USM yesterday...very gd and lightweight.

the only problem is that it is almost unuseable in indoors lighting condition

user111 said:

Not necessary...i tried it at AP @ funan and opened aperture at f/5.6, clear and sharp.

err, one begs to ask what u're shooting that requires 400mm indoors but i'm sure it must be something important to you. Unfortunately, the only 400mm solution for indoors is the 2.8L Big price tag on that one though. I'd probably sooner shoot at 200mm and crop the shot down!

szekiat said:
err, one begs to ask what u're shooting that requires 400mm indoors but i'm sure it must be something important to you. Unfortunately, the only 400mm solution for indoors is the 2.8L Big price tag on that one though. I'd probably sooner shoot at 200mm and crop the shot down!

400mm is gd for close up shots but u've to stand a distance back with a ladder for events. I know the 400mm f/2.8 is super expensive (approx. $11.2K) and heavy (5.6kg) so it's not practical. The f/5.6 one should suffice.

user111 said:
i tend to agree .... my 300mm f4 is oredi at the edge when shoot indoor.... CMI la. but when outdoor, both the f4 and f5.6 is :thumbsup:

Snoweagle said:
20D is an overkill cos it's a semi-professional DSLR.

For me getting a 350D is suffice and I can save for a couple of L lenses. Come to term that Canon introduces new model so fast unless I need it for work than I will gladly consider 20D or 1D model. To me 350D is very good for hobbyist just that the grip is a little tiny.:)

Moonstone said:
For me getting a 350D is suffice and I can save for a couple of L lenses. Come to term that Canon introduces new model so fast unless I need it for work than I will gladly consider 20D or 1D model. To me 350D is very good for hobbyist just that the grip is a little tiny.:)

That's why i'm avoiding the 350D, it's too small for me. I prefer larger cams cos they grip better. The 20D is ideal for me unless if i've more cash, i'll get the 5D for its full frame.

Just saw someone sold a 20d body for $1,200 in the B & S Forum. Damn it, miss the deal. :mad2:

Actually it's a 20D + 17-85IS USM for $2200. Best deal in 2006!!

I am second. I was ACTUALLY thinking for 2 minutes whether to bid as not very keen on the 20D. Later realised buy now, dun like can sell later. but it was too LATE :(

wind30 said:
I am second. I was ACTUALLY thinking for 2 minutes whether to bid as not very keen on the 20D. Later realised buy now, dun like can sell later. but it was too LATE :(

This is just one classic example of thinking for too long and then missed a super good deal.

It's damn lucky for that buyer. No lose or depreciation at all should he sells in the future. How low can 20d body go at <$1,200?

I believe that this is ONE time affair that we will see in CS. No other sellers will be selling at this price unless we are talking about a few years down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.