[ThinkTank Photo Bags] Reviews and User Comments

Item Reviewed: Think Tank Skin Chimp Cage

Introduction
Purchased two of these when the Skin series was launched, for use on my Pro Speed Belt. These both replaced two Lowepro Sliplock Case 60 AW pouches that I had. The Skin Chimp Cage is an unpadded, thin, unobtrusive, black synthetic pouch wide enough to hold a Pro Body (or body with battery grip). It will also hold two reasonable-sized lenses, or a flash, or lots of accessories.

It features a front zippered pocket on the top of its flap, a velcro closure flap (the velcro can be pulled back and fastened to "silence" the flap. More on that later), its main compartment (which can be divided using provided dividers) and a small velcro-closure pocket on the outside of the front of the main compartment.

Freebies (Items that came together with it)
It comes with three thin dividers, IIRC. Good enough to separate the space if you want to use it to hold two lenses or just divide it for other stuff. It also comes with the usual seam-sealed raincoat (which I've removed; don't use it at all).

Build Quality
The build quality is excellent. Well put together, with no fraying threads. Nothing much to be said.

Interior
The interior is not padded. It features velcro on the front and back surface (of the inside) so you can put in dividers to divide the space. I personally use one divider so I can fit two lenses. The size of the pouch is generous. It will fit a 24-70 f/2.8 or 70-200 f/2.8 (without hoods), but rarely will you put both in the same pouch; it is very heavy, and makes the whole belt lopsided, but I digress.

The inside of the flap has a silencer feature. This allows you to pull back the velcro on the bottom of the flap, so that it no longer fastens to the velcro found on the pouch itself when you close the flap. This means that whenever you open or close the pouch, the annoyingly loud velcro rip is no longer heard. Very handy.

The pouch can also be "popped-down" which allows you to expand the bottom of the pouch to fit more stuff. With the popped down configuration, I've been able to fit in a 70-200 f/2.8 with hood attached (not reversed). Do note that the popped down portion does not have velcro on the insides, so you cannot fit dividers down the bottom area of the pouch. A minor annoyance, but that has resulted in me not popping down most of the time.

Exterior
Nothing much to say. Synthetic material feels thin but well-made, and it doesn't feel like the sort that attracts a lot of dust.

Configuration
I generally use the Skin Chimp Cage in two configurations: as an insert for casual carrying out of the camera in a non-camera bag, and as part of a modulus pouch system on my Pro Speed Belt.

First, the casual use: I generally bring out my 1DMkII with just a 35mm f/2 (very short lens), and this will fit into the pouch with the lens still attached. There is enough depth to place my Pixel Pocket Rocket memory card wallet below the camera, and enough space to the side to fit in a spare 1D battery. I do have to be very careful with my bag though, as I cannot allow bumps or anything; the pouch is unpadded after all.

Lately I remedied this problem by taking a divider from another bag and placing it in the front velcro-closure pocket to provide some frontal protection for the lens.

Secondly, for use with the belt system: I generally divide it into two parts, and these will take a multitude of lenses, depending on what I take with me on a shoot. Most commonly loaded will be the 16-35mm f/2.8L and the 85mm f/1.8, with the 24-70mm f/2.8 on the camera. The advantages about such a big pouch being used as a lens case is that you save on getting one lens case for each lens, and you have enough room to switch around on lenses within the pouch without worrying that one pouch is too small for this lens, while the other is too large and so forth.

Conclusion
The Skin Chimp Cage is a highly versatile modulus accessory, and will definitely find much use to anyone using a belt system. Highly recommended, especially for its alternative uses (such as a dual lens case).

For everyone's convenience, here is the Think Tank Bag Review Template that we've more or less been sticking to.

Item Reviewed:

Introduction

Build Quality

Interior

Exterior

Configuration

Conclusion

All you have to do is

1) quote this post
2) remove the quotation BBcode
3) fill in the relevant fields

And voila. Enjoy guys.

Item Reviewed: Think Tank Streetwalker Pro Hard Drive

Introduction

Described by Think Tank as "Designed for use in urban and crowded environments, this slim, lightweight backpack also holds a 15” laptop, as well as a Pro-size DSLR and a 70-200 2.8 with hood attached." It is the largest Streetwalker among the 3 sizes.

Comes with a removable seam-sealed rain cover.

Build Quality

Comparable to Lowepro bags. The fabric areas seem to attract dust quickly and will probably leave white patches if you get it wet after awhile. Features YKK zippers which is the best around. The padding in mine doesn't really fit very well though.

Interior

The interior is decent. Can fit almost all my gear inside without any problems.

3373225820_e881c9fe7a_b.jpg

Loads of compartments here and there to put in the bits and pieces.

Exterior

Simple and practical. Pockets are conveniently located.

Configuration

Very similar to Lowepro bags. Suspect that TT wants to penetrate the Lowepro market and the SW is their first salvo into that area to poach existing Lowepro users.

Conclusion

Very well designed harness with air channel. Does not leave the back of your shirt wet. Works well to channel air through to cool you off. Material wicks away moisture as well. Harness relieves alot of weight from the equipment. :thumbsup:

Any owners of a the Rotation 360 want to do a review? I'm very interested in that bag!

Item Reviewed:
Think Tank Urban Disguise 35

Introduction
This bag was describe as "The Urban Disguise shoulder bags allow you to travel in style and protect your valuable equipment without attracting attention to yourself as a photographer." which is quite true.

Rain Cover

Build Quality
Personally I find that it has a better fabric compare to Lowepro(feel more solid) very tough buckle for shoulder strap which give you more confident.

Interior
This is a top load style bag, access to gear is fast. great protection for gear. it can contain my E3 with grip, 1 x flash, 12-60, 50-200, pouch of accessories (battery and some card) and a macbook 13" + power adapter

Exterior
flap cover which is very useful, give you quick access to non valuable item.

Configuration
if going for the look, do not have a lappy in (whole bag will feel slimmer). use it with shoulder harness (purchase separately) enable you to have it sling or backpack which is a great solution for travel.

Use backpack mode while on the move, and sling mode when shooting.

Conclusion

It work very well for me as I dress in business wear most of the time. it allowed me to have all my stuff which I wish to carry ard daily (my camera and my macbook) but the more, you carry, the heavier it become. Thanks to shoulder strap and shoulder harness which is comfortable and well weight distribution but still after long hour, will still heavy la.

I am using Think Tank shoulder harness on my fotofile sling bag as well which work very well too.

Item Reviewed: Think Tank Photo - All The Other Stuff.

Introduction

I was looking for a small pouch to hold my essentials while waiting to board the aeroplane and also the ability to remove it and place it in my daypack before the security checkpoint.

1) Side view.

4284215526_c5c5e834e2.jpg

2) Passport compartment.

4284205700_ca9f8beff4.jpg

3) Second compartment to keep the other stuff.

4283481043_88e1b1c6e3.jpg

Conclusion

The Think Tank Photo All The Other Stuff have three compartments and I love the ability to keep my passport and a small PNS camera.

More photos in my Wordpresskistan.

http://xtemujin.wordpress.com/2010/12/02/think-tank-photo-all-the-other-stuff/

Last edited:
Hi calebk, u guys want to share your reviews by moving this entire thread over to Reviews subsection ?

Agree. Good thread for TT bag reference. Should move to review..

Just popped over to my usual store to take a look at the new Urban Disguise series V2.0. Besides a few cosmetic changes, the main change was the ability to add modular pouches to the bag. Here is a quick review of the UD35 V2.0

Changes to the front zipper: Curved instead of straight across
PA120097cc.jpg

Inner dividers are thinner than previous ones.
PA120096cc.jpg

Included accessories (camera and lens optional)
PA120095cc.jpg

Straps for the modular add ons. 2 for the side and 2 more for strapping a tripod to the bottom.
PA120100cc.jpg

Pro body camera with AFS80-200/2.8 snugly fit inside side by side. There are other ways to fit so feel free to experiment.
PA120099cc.jpg

Last edited:
Continued....

Straps attached. 1 as the hook and 1 more to prevent the attachment from dangling
PA120101cc.jpg

With the lightning fast attached
PA120102cc.jpg

Lightning Fast with SB800
PA120103cc.jpg

Lightning fast and the Skin 75 pop down
PA120108cc.jpg

Skin 75 with 80-200 inside. The Skin 75 is probably the widest that can be attached to the bag as there is a limit to the length of the strap. Those who are thinking of adding Chimp/Skin/ etc cages; you are out of luck here.
PA120107cc.jpg

Last edited:
Continued pt 2.....

Clip to keep the handles together. Nice little touch there.
PA120106cc.jpg

V2 and V1 - Note the thickness of the inner dividers
PA120105cc.jpg

Attaching the Shoulder Harness V2.0
PA120109cc.jpg

Note that the clip is no longer exposed. Looks nicer compared the previous version.
PA120110cc.jpg

The attached shoulder harness
PA120111cc.jpg

Last edited:
anybody owns the Sling-O-Matic 20 or 30?

does it fits a tripod well at the side of the bag?

Thanks. :)

mine is traveller size Sirui T-2204X.

looks easy to knock to my head if place at the side of the bag. need to see/feel the actual stuff.

Yeap. You should bring it down and have a feel of it. It all goes down to personal preference. I am sure they will assist you in finding your ideal ThinkTank bag.

Kudos to you guys. Great review. Txs.:)

After reading your review on the Glass Taxi, i gave up on the idea of getting one. The lack of storage space for all the loose accessories is an issue for me.