The Tree [first HDR attempt]

Status
Not open for further replies.
that black and white one works for me.. prefer less vignetting (? is it that?) though

Yes bro, I've added some vignetting to the images as well as burning some areas. Thanks for the comments.

Override2Zion: you might wanna share what did you do to the first pic?

Have to thank bro for dingzyangz his generosity in giving me the permission to share my interpretation of the beautifully captured scene.

The result was obtained by processing your 1st picture (the desaturated version). I did it using Photoshop CS3. The main thing i did was to run the picture through the Shadow/Highlights filter several times to bring out the details, however one side effect of the process would be to introduce noise to the images so try to use it with moderation. Adjust the values to bring out as much contrast between the details as possible at each round. Here's a rough breakdown of the steps and parameters i used,

Step 1
Image=>Adjustments=>Shadow/Highlights
Shadows
Amount 30% Tonal Width 20% Radius 65px
Highlights
Amount 40% Tonal Width 75% Radius 30px
Adjustments
Color Correction +20 Midtone Contrast +50 Black Clip 0.01% White Clip 0.01%

Step 2
Shadows
Amount 85% Tonal Width 15% Radius 30px
Highlights
Amount 50% Tonal Width 55% Radius 30px
Adjustments
Color Correction +20 Midtone Contrast +35 Black Clip 0.01% White Clip 0.01%

Step 3
Shadows
Amount 10% Tonal Width 35% Radius 40px
Highlights
Amount 50% Tonal Width 10% Radius 30px
Adjustments
Color Correction +20 Midtone Contrast +25 Black Clip 0.01% White Clip 0.01%

Step 4
Image=>Adjustments=>Hue/Saturation
Hue/Saturation
Edit: Master
Hue 0 Saturation +50 Lightness 0

Step 5
Image=>Adjustments=>Brightness/Contrast
Brightness/Contrast
Brightness +30 Contrast +20

These are values recorded when i tried to regenerate the effect, i didn't save those that i used to get the sample i posted. You'll get a similar image to the one i posted though.
What remains now is to use the dodge/burn tool to emphasize parts of the scene that you desire, like some parts of the clouds, grass and water puddle.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
First attempt? Very good job! It's the composition and your choice of processing (the mood) that makes the picture. And thanks for sharing your settings for us to learn from it. :thumbsup:

First attempt? Very good job! It's the composition and your choice of processing (the mood) that makes the picture. And thanks for sharing your settings for us to learn from it. :thumbsup:

In case there were misunderstandings, the picture was the result of the good effort put in by bro dingzyangz in composing and putting together the HDR.

I merely contributed my opinions on the post processing. We are here to share and learn, I've also benefited from the comments of many other members of this forum, either directly or indirectly. :)

i thank u for the composition part... haha. the punchy version was contributed by Override2Zion. :)

haha... no worries... thanks for sharing how u achieved the punchy image. :)
In case there were misunderstandings, the picture was the result of the good effort put in by bro dingzyangz in composing and putting together the HDR.

I merely contributed my opinions on the post processing. We are here to share and learn, I've also benefited from the comments of many other members of this forum, either directly or indirectly. :)

haha... no worries... thanks for sharing how u achieved the punchy image. :)

You're welcomed bro
Looking forward to seeing more of your works. I dun really have a good sense of scene composition, so i'll still need to reference and learn more from others. :)

I use to take the cam and shot everything in sight haha... nowadays i take up the camera and pray first lol. u definitely have a very nice portfolio. :thumbsup:

we are all learning everyday... tat's why we log in to CS daily. haha. :bsmilie:

You're welcomed bro
Looking forward to seeing more of your works. I dun really have a good sense of scene composition, so i'll still need to reference and learn more from others. :)

I use to take the cam and shot everything in sight haha... nowadays i take up the camera and pray first lol. u definitely have a very nice portfolio. :thumbsup:

we are all learning everyday... tat's why we log in to CS daily. haha. :bsmilie:

Thanks for the compliments bro, perhaps we can go shoot together someday :)

interested to know what was done as well...I like the punchy effect, this picture looks great in B&W.;)

Second to this!
Now maybe more punch with a Metallica logo in between kehkehkeh....

Status
Not open for further replies.