The NEW Nikon D7000 or Nikon D300s ?

Your choice:

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hi all. I'm still planning on a purchase between the D7000 and D300s. Just wondering, the D300s is often referred to as a "semi-pro" camera. How do you define semi-pro. Would the D7000 be considered a semi-pro, and why?

Appreciate any feedback. Cheers

D7000 is not a semi-pro camera body. It's just a step-up from the D90. D7k doesn't have full magnesium alloy body frame, while d300s has. D7k has some very tempting features like 1080p movie mode or HI-2 ISO (25600). But is it necessary? Experienced users usually don't go up to 1000 ISO to avoid noise. If you are quite good with flash, i don't see the need in having high ISO.

Hi all. I'm still planning on a purchase between the D7000 and D300s. Just wondering, the D300s is often referred to as a "semi-pro" camera. How do you define semi-pro. Would the D7000 be considered a semi-pro, and why?

Appreciate any feedback. Cheers

to me, it's the features and the build that makes d300s a semi-pro. while d7000 is more of a serious enthusiast camera.

there r certain features that d7000 lacks, such as the menu banks, the 2 terminals at the front (flash sync + 10 pin remote terminal), and also the build of the d300s is better than d7000 (full magnesium alloy body vs partial magnesium alloy body). the ergonomics on d300s is better than the d7000 with more shortcut buttons. the AF performance on the d300s is also faster than the d7000, with more points as well. lastly, it also has higher fps (7 without grip, 8 with grip) for fast action shooting. the buffer on the d300s is also larger, allows u to take more burst shots at its effective fps range. lastly, d300s also supports CF card, which has higher write speeds compared to SD cards. how fast the images can be written over to the card is crucial to burst shooting, so tat the buffer will not be filled so easily.

although d7000 is not rated as a semi-pro camera, it does not mean tat professional photographers will not use it for their work. as long it can produce results, i suppose tat's all it matters.

no doubt tat d7000 has higher MP, better performance at higher iso and better video. the specs r tempting indeed, but i believe how comfortable u r with the camera and whether it can satisfy ur shooting needs r more important

Last edited:
Depends. Best denki, Courts or challenger MAY have installment plans by credit card though.

Best denki, Courts, Harvey Norman are the usual suspects - not sure about challenger - but usually they are selling at RRP which is different from the photo stores. I think they have most banks' CC plan.

I know you can also do it at Cathay, while TK Foto you need to pay 2% more. I think MS Color may have but again, need to add some percentage. They have specific bank's CC plans. I know Cathay have for Citibank (this is confirmed as I got my lens from them this way before) and I think DBS/POSB. TK Foto I think is OCBC bank's. But don't quote me on that.

Depends. Best denki, Courts or challenger MAY have installment plans by credit card though.

Thanks, I will go through these stores to ask for the installment plan :thumbsup:

Best denki, Courts, Harvey Norman are the usual suspects - not sure about challenger - but usually they are selling at RRP which is different from the photo stores. I think they have most banks' CC plan.

I know you can also do it at Cathay, while TK Foto you need to pay 2% more. I think MS Color may have but again, need to add some percentage. They have specific bank's CC plans. I know Cathay have for Citibank (this is confirmed as I got my lens from them this way before) and I think DBS/POSB. TK Foto I think is OCBC bank's. But don't quote me on that.

Thanks Alpc, hope I can get D7K before CNY. Cheers!

Thanks Irvine and sgdevilzz for your explanation. Much clearer to the definition now. Was actually wondering how to see the difference. Like the weight and surprisingly, the supposed auto function of the d7000 but definitely love the feel and other abilities of the d300s. Once again, I'm inclined to the d300s.

Cheers again guys

to me, it's the features and the build that makes d300s a semi-pro. while d7000 is more of a serious enthusiast camera.

there r certain features that d7000 lacks, such as the menu banks, the 2 terminals at the front (flash sync + 10 pin remote terminal), and also the build of the d300s is better than d7000 (full magnesium alloy body vs partial magnesium alloy body). the ergonomics on d300s is better than the d7000 with more shortcut buttons. the AF performance on the d300s is also faster than the d7000, with more points as well. lastly, it also has higher fps (7 without grip, 8 with grip) for fast action shooting. the buffer on the d300s is also larger, allows u to take more burst shots at its effective fps range. lastly, d300s also supports CF card, which has higher write speeds compared to SD cards. how fast the images can be written over to the card is crucial to burst shooting, so tat the buffer will not be filled so easily.

although d7000 is not rated as a semi-pro camera, it does not mean tat professional photographers will not use it for their work. as long it can produce results, i suppose tat's all it matters.

no doubt tat d7000 has higher MP, better performance at higher iso and better video. the specs r tempting indeed, but i believe how comfortable u r with the camera and whether it can satisfy ur shooting needs r more important

An early welcome to fellow D7000 users :)

Thanks Irvine and sgdevilzz for your explanation. Much clearer to the definition now. Was actually wondering how to see the difference. Like the weight and surprisingly, the supposed auto function of the d7000 but definitely love the feel and other abilities of the d300s. Once again, I'm inclined to the d300s.

Cheers again guys

no prob.. u still haf yet to get the d300s?

Nope. Kept procrastinating. Many around me kept saying that the d7k is the better camera. Dunno whether is it due to the fact that it's new, or it's really better.
Well, should be going to purchase the d300s today after work or this weekend

Nope. Kept procrastinating. Many around me kept saying that the d7k is the better camera. Dunno whether is it due to the fact that it's new, or it's really better.
Well, should be going to purchase the d300s today after work or this weekend

have you tested both D7k and D300s? test first before you make your decision.

Tested both the D7000 and d300s. Was fiddling with a cousin's D7000 camera at a nephew's wedding just now, when realised that 1 of the photographer's camera was the D300s. Decided to be friendly with the D300s and the happily "lent" me his camera (while he held firmly, in fear I wanna borrow, his D3s....hehe).

Took some shots, with both cameras, and although I can't really tell much of a difference in the quality via the lcd screen, I felt more assured taking with the D300s. It may be heavier, but sure felt good.

I'm convinced now to go for the D300s. Gonna buy it real soon....just need to do research, where would be the best place to purchase the D300s body....

Anyone have recommendations on good place to purchase?

Tested both the D7000 and d300s. Was fiddling with a cousin's D7000 camera at a nephew's wedding just now, when realised that 1 of the photographer's camera was the D300s. Decided to be friendly with the D300s and the happily "lent" me his camera (while he held firmly, in fear I wanna borrow, his D3s....hehe).

Took some shots, with both cameras, and although I can't really tell much of a difference in the quality via the lcd screen, I felt more assured taking with the D300s. It may be heavier, but sure felt good.

I'm convinced now to go for the D300s. Gonna buy it real soon....just need to do research, where would be the best place to purchase the D300s body....

dude, could u haf forgotten bout the deal i had which i told u before? :bsmilie:

Do give them a call or email ask for quotations before you go down. And make sure they carry the stock first. I suggest places like Cathay Photo & TK Foto, that's just my preference getting from them.

dude, could u haf forgotten bout the deal i had which i told u before? :bsmilie:

Oh ya. Haha. Must be getting old. Thanks for the reminder. Hehe

Oh ya. Haha. Must be getting old. Thanks for the reminder. Hehe

Have you purchased the D300s ? Got a good deal ? :)

Same thing happened to my friend who was using D80 along side with me taking scenery. The moment he borrowed my D300s, he instantly said wow! He like the solid feel to it and the viewfinder is so bright

You should borrow the D3s from the photographer to try out :bsmilie:
I just tried the D3s last week and I felt heavenly good when held it in my hand compared to my D700. The AF is super snoic fast. Well, it's another level which is out of reach to me given my current budget. :bigeyes:

If I were to try de d3, I fear, I will want that camera instead. Hehe.

Having said that, I've gotten my D300s. Definitely no regrets:)

You should borrow the D3s from the photographer to try out :bsmilie:
I just tried the D3s last week and I felt heavenly good when held it in my hand compared to my D700. The AF is super snoic fast. Well, it's another level which is out of reach to me given my current budget. :bigeyes: