super panaromic shot of orchard rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
welcome radioactive28.

update : nathanlogic & myself did a trial saturday morning. we both shot with canon dlsr + 50mm & zoom lens (covering 50mm too). As expected, with the crop factor of the dlsr, we ended up using 22 shots just to cover CK Tang. Hence, like I highlighted in the reply, dlsr is not suitable for this project (the more camera we use, the more photos to stitch).

Nathanlogic will be stitching the photos and we shall see how it goes from there. Thanks Alvin.

Looking @ this figure, we will need alot more photogs & camera eqpt. Pls sign up, and bring your friends in too.

There are some problems encountered in this trial. I spoke to afew photogs (pro level), most can be solve, except 1.

There will be tentage set along the walkway where the camera will be set in the Dec christmas celebrations, which will definatly block us.

The way I look @ this, 2 solutions :

1) delay actual exacution date to much later, when orchard dont have large scale event (I was hoping to shoot the deco :cry: ).

2) get traffic police to close 1 lane (nearest to taka side :sweat: ) for us to shot (very unlikely it will be approve :dunno: ).

Admin issue :
A fellow CSer offer some software to help info management for free, I got dolpjki and nathanlogic to look into this possibility together with darren. Will post the nic of this super supportive CSer later.

Sponsership issue :
Will pen a formal proposal, cause after serious thinking, printing etc, will cause alot, though I dont wish for this, but seems like no choice.
Mails had been sent out to people from various gov dept (STB, NAC etc) at personel level (ie informal), hope will have good news to share in the next update.

Critical info issue :
Pls remember to update the other threads which is meant to ease admin work. Note @ this point of time, I have not request for phone no.

Project naming issue :
For those who have not post their suggestion, pls do so in the other thread (closing this coming friday). Remember, polling for the title will start after that.

Committee issue :
For those who would like to volunteer to join the driving team (committee not formed yet), pls let me know (will require contact no. of cause).

1) denniskee
2) alvin
3) nightwolf75
4) arttl
5) madmacs
6) Nathanlogic
7) dolpjki
8) Andi1704
9) weevil84
10) wingless84
11) tagore
12) nostalgia
13) sumball
14) acetylcholine
15) vagabond
16) di0nysus
17) tempest
18) quekky
19) keithjhee
20) jimtong
21) Einstein
22) Gary
23) acrylonithrill
24) Terence
25) foxtwo
26) radioactive28

Gentle reminder, those who had registered, pls remember to update the Critical Info thread.

For those who intend to sign up for this history making event, pls state your nic here in this thread, but camera eqpt of the other threads, as per stated above.

denniskee said:
welcome radioactive28.

update : nathanlogic & myself did a trial saturday morning. we both shot with canon dlsr + 50mm & zoom lens (covering 50mm too). As expected, with the crop factor of the dlsr, we ended up using 22 shots just to cover CK Tang. Hence, like I highlighted in the reply, dlsr is not suitable for this project (the more camera we use, the more photos to stitch).

Nathanlogic will be stitching the photos and we shall see how it goes from there. Thanks Alvin.

Looking @ this figure, we will need alot more photogs & camera eqpt. Pls sign up, and bring your friends in too.

There are some problems encountered in this trial. I spoke to afew photogs (pro level), most can be solve, except 1.

There will be tentage set along the walkway where the camera will be set in the Dec christmas celebrations, which will definatly block us.

The way I look @ this, 2 solutions :

1) delay actual exacution date to much later, when orchard dont have large scale event (I was hoping to shoot the deco :cry: ).

2) get traffic police to close 1 lane (nearest to taka side :sweat: ) for us to shot (very unlikely it will be approve :dunno: ).

Admin issue :
A fellow CSer offer some software to help info management for free, I got dolpjki and nathanlogic to look into this possibility together with darren. Will post the nic of this super supportive CSer later.

Sponsership issue :
Will pen a formal proposal, cause after serious thinking, printing etc, will cause alot, though I dont wish for this, but seems like no choice.
Mails had been sent out to people from various gov dept (STB, NAC etc) at personel level (ie informal), hope will have good news to share in the next update.

Critical info issue :
Pls remember to update the other threads which is meant to ease admin work. Note @ this point of time, I have not request for phone no.

Project naming issue :
For those who have not post their suggestion, pls do so in the other thread (closing this coming friday). Remember, polling for the title will start after that.

Committee issue :
For those who would like to volunteer to join the driving team (committee not formed yet), pls let me know (will require contact no. of cause).

I think Dennis you need to set a meeting date and chair a meeting to select personnels for a comittee... Most important heavily tasked 1 i believe is the Logistics... Hahahaha.... :bsmilie:

OK then, Can all participants pls attend the 6-10-04 SEED. 1900hr.
Pls reply this post if you can make it.

1) denniskee

6th Oct 04 (SEED) @ 1900

1) denniskee
2) acrylonithrill (Louis Teo) [Can make it if no classes fall on that time]
3) weevil84 (Danny - will try!)

I have shot a few panos and like to suggest you consider some minor points.

Shoot Portrait mode - this minimises the distortion from horizontal curvature of the lens and make the resolution higher also because after stitching, you need to trim off quite a bit on top and bottom to align well. That means you lose a lot of image area. But then when you shoot Portrait mode, you need more cameras / frames and the overlaps need to be at least 1/3 of a frame for the stitching to go really well.

The other issue is, you can never time firing to be spot on. Just look at National Day when they fire the M-16 and you can hear the lag because some guys just cannot squeeze at the same time no matter how many times they practised. So expect to have a bus stretching two frames and looking longer than should be.

Orchard Road is very densely populated with old leafy trees. It spoils the whole pano photographically and is also a pain to stitch.

Have a good time boys.

MrGoh

6th Oct 04 (SEED) @ 1900

1) denniskee
4) dolpjki
5) NathanLogic

Can all participants pls attend the 6-10-04 SEED. 1900hr.
Pls reply this post if you can make it.

1) denniskee
4) dolpjki
5) NathanLogic

Guys, pls stand out and volunteer to be part of the driving force.

Date change for the meeting, instead of this coming Wed, Will change it to thursday. Reason is so that it won't clash with seeds. I will start a new thread to organise this meeting. Pls reply in that thread.

Sorry if I have casue anyform of inconvence to you.

denniskee said:
Date change for the meeting, instead of this coming Wed, Will change it to thursday. Reason is so that it won't clash with seeds. I will start a new thread to organise this meeting. Pls reply in that thread.

Sorry if I have casue anyform of inconvence to you.

Sorry, will have incamp this 2 weeks. can't attend the meeting.

Cant make it. anyway you guys enjoy

1) denniskee
2) alvin
3) nightwolf75
4) arttl
5) madmacs
6) Nathanlogic
7) dolpjki
8) Andi1704
9) weevil84
10) wingless84
11) tagore
12) nostalgia
13) sumball
14) acetylcholine
15) vagabond
16) di0nysus
17) tempest
18) quekky
19) keithjhee
20) jimtong
21) Einstein
22) Gary
23) acrylonithrill
24) Terence
25) foxtwo
26) radioactive28
27) Pande (denniskee's friend)

1) denniskee
2) alvin
3) nightwolf75
4) arttl
5) madmacs
6) Nathanlogic
7) dolpjki
8) Andi1704
9) weevil84
10) wingless84
11) tagore
12) nostalgia
13) sumball
14) acetylcholine
15) vagabond
16) di0nysus
17) tempest
18) quekky
19) keithjhee
20) jimtong
21) Einstein
22) Gary
23) acrylonithrill
24) Terence
25) foxtwo
26) radioactive28
28) Phua Yok Lin (denniskee's friend)

This might be obvious, but due to the scale and effort involved, every particpants should make it a point to test their equipment well beforehand. Especially if the film body has been sitting in the cabinet for a long time...

It would be dreadful if after the whole event, one of the cameras turned out to be faulty (of course through no fault of the photographer) !!! Since its film, no chance for review until all is over... ;)

Guys, base on the preliminary trial, seems likely we need 100 - 150 cameras. Pls get your friends to join in.

Jango said:
This might be obvious, but due to the scale and effort involved, every particpants should make it a point to test their equipment well beforehand. Especially if the film body has been sitting in the cabinet for a long time...

It would be dreadful if after the whole event, one of the cameras turned out to be faulty (of course through no fault of the photographer) !!! Since its film, no chance for review until all is over... ;)

Ok... Almost forgot to mention: my lens has a bit of mould growing, though from my pictures, I don't see any obvious flaws. How?

1) denniskee
2) alvin
3) nightwolf75
4) arttl
5) madmacs
6) Nathanlogic
7) dolpjki
8) Andi1704
9) weevil84
10) wingless84
11) tagore
12) nostalgia
13) sumball
14) acetylcholine
15) vagabond
16) di0nysus
17) tempest
18) quekky
19) keithjhee
20) jimtong
21) Einstein
22) Gary
23) acrylonithrill
24) Terence
25) foxtwo
26) radioactive28
28) Phua Yok Lin (denniskee's friend)
29)meepokman

Er, how about shooting along the Singapore River?

Walkway/Promenade developed in last few years is uninterrupted for 8+Km -from Kallang Basin, to Esplanade to Boat Quay to Clarke Quay and all the way beyond to Great World City. No blocking by obstacles, riverfront view, great light early a.m., fewer people, long panorama with scenic view across river, almost no trees, good mix of new and old architecture... You should be able to get good cooperation from authorities, MITA, because the area has been specially earmarked for renewal, artistic value, but still attracting little interest...

hmm this is very interesting. shall let my camera master know. maybe can ask if he can lend you guys his collection of ehhh 300++ cameras... don't know how many fits the bill though. will update once i can find time to speak to him. (he's a very busy man. :sweat: )

if got cameraS, finding ppl to press shutter got problem or not ah? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.