Sungei road thieves’ market, 9 years of Singapore heritage

RayDream

Nov 12, 2005
he Sungei Road Thieves’ Market is probably one of the last and oldest place that the folks from Singapore used to hang out and shop since 1930s.

It’s no longer a market, it’s a way of life, especially to the people who lives there. You can find virtually everything; from children’s wear, to SAF army uniforms; from as small as jewelries to the family size fridge and old television, from the oldest typewriter, to the latest Sony’s Playstation and Apple’s iPod. Trishaw uncles had even labeled this place as a tourist attraction for their passengers.

Here’s my photographs I’ve taken from 2005 to 2014, started when I got my first camera.

b_mg_0114.jpg

It always sadden me when I see families there; young mother comforting her baby to sleep, little girl playing with her parents’ and “colleagues’” countless toys, able-body young man following his father’s footstep selling both authentic and counterfeit watches, lonely old folks parting with their last pieces of treasure trying to make a living. There’s a story to tell from anything and anyone at this place.

I have been coming this place since school days. Even during the army days, I will come on the weekend for treasure hunting.

e_mg_2597.jpg

Shot on 3 Feb 2009, the market with prosperity. It became a tourists’ attractions, rickshaw uncles would bring visitors frequently.

Until now, I still pay frequent visit to this place, treasure hunting, bargaining, squeezing among the other treasure hunters, or even inviting my foreign friends for a little bit of culture shock. I would even talk to the old folks sometimes, to listen to their stories, to listen to their descriptions of the stuff they sell. I see and learn new things on every single visit. During my university days, I brought my friend from United States for visit, and she says ‘its sad’. Not everyone can tolerate the culture.
Shot on 3 Feb 2009, the market with prosperity. It became a tourists' attractions, rickshaw uncles would bring visitors frequently.

p3030263e5.jpg

2011 or 2012... can't remember

bimgp0047c.jpg

Hope you enjoy these pictures. I do not know how much longer will they stay until business seize due to modernization. There used to be some non-profit group of people trying find an alternative land for the market, but the facebook group died down due to inactivity.

Have you visited the market? Do you like shopping there? Do you think they should find another spot or do you think they are illegal dwellers to use the land illegally? Do you think the authorities should chase them away? Do you think we should save the living heritage?

Please leave your comments.

Oh btw, for complete series, please visit http://witonosfreestyle.wordpress.c...thieves-market-9-years-of-singapore-heritage/
and my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/the.freestyle.photographer

Reactions: ronniegogs
Saw your blog, very nice series on Sungei Rd!
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
2 micrometers for $25!! A super good deal considering I bought a China-made vernier caliper for that amount...:(
Does that Praktica BC1 still work?!?!

2 micrometers for $25!! A super good deal considering I bought a China-made vernier caliper for that amount...:(
Does that Praktica BC1 still work?!?!

2x BC1... The first BC1 is not working, but I bought with the gd lenses. The 2nd BC1 is in good working condition with metering, so I attached the previous lenses just for this BC1 :)