Studying in Fast Food Outlets and Cafes

As we continue in our glacial improvement towards being a gracious society, I am confident that come one day our students would be 'zi dong' enough not to hog the seats for hours at one go.

Yes, that's the thing that I am driving at. There is no need for the staff to enforce any rules or set up rules by the cafes, etc. If one is "Zi Dong", then it would make life a better place. This should be the ultimate goal for Singapore.

Do we see such behaviour in our neighbouring countries, like Malaysia, Thailand or even in North Asia countries like Japan, Hong Kong?

Thailand:

December 21, 2012, 1:51 PM
McDonald’s Targets ‘Seat Hoggers’ in Thailand

Across Thailand, ubiquitous Starbucks and McDonald's outlets have become much more than a place for a quick coffee or a hamburger. Outlets are increasingly packed with students and freelancers camping out at the branches for hours, using the small tables as workstations.

But not for much longer. McThai—the sole McDonald’s franchisee in the country—earlier this week issued a notice limiting customers to a one-hour seating limit during lunch, dinner and weekend hours.

McThai—the sole McDonald’s franchisee in the country—issued a notice limiting customers to a one-hour seating limit.
It is not yet clear how stringent McDonald’s will be in enforcing these new rules, but the company—which has 178 restaurants across Thailand, serving seven million customers per month—is also discouraging customers from charging laptops and mobile phones for more than 30 minutes at electric outlets available in the fast-food restaurant.

The new rules come as many frustrated customers complain about not having seats to eat their meals, which are often crowded with customers using the tables to work or study for hours, long after their fries and burgers are all gone.

People are “hogging seats for group teaching or working” without ordering second or third meals, said McDonald’s Corporate Affairs Director Saichon Submakudom, who said the new move is “protect[ing] equal rights for all customers”.

http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2012/12/21/mcdonalds-targets-seat-hoggers-in-thailand/

More recently, elderly Koreans in Queens, NYC:

Yes, that's the thing that I am driving at. There is no need for the staff to enforce any rules or set up rules by the cafes, etc. If one is "Zi Dong", then it would make life a better place. This should be the ultimate goal for Singapore.

:) yeah. When people are considerate we wouldn't need to consider whether chatting with friends for 4hours, having a meal for an hour, posting on CS for 5hours or studying for 2hours would be considered hogging. Can trust our fellow people not to hog seats unnecessarily.

Maybe not in our lifetimes la.

Can study under such places meh? Obviously to show off that they are studying. Like they are the only ones who study in the world. My friend n I also encounter such and she told me that she thought we at library instead of cafe. Ha ha!

:) yeah. When people are considerate we wouldn't need to consider whether chatting with friends for 4hours, having a meal for an hour, posting on CS for 5hours or studying for 2hours would be considered hogging. Can trust our fellow people not to hog seats unnecessarily.

Maybe not in our lifetimes la.

Posting in CS for 5 hrs OK la. Not hogging anyone mah. LOL. Please? Can?

Studying in fast food outlets & cafe is study fast & talk slowly & charge all your electronic devices :bsmilie: No wonder I got no place to sit :(

Can study under such places meh? Obviously to show off that they are studying. Like they are the only ones who study in the world. My friend n I also encounter such and she told me that she thought we at library instead of cafe. Ha ha!

Some school library now like fast food outlets......

Or like a zoo.... have chimps, have buaya, have a wide variety of flowers, have pork chop (chee pai)..... etc....

Actually last time when we used to study in Macs, it was really to see girls or study with girls. We all knew no studying will get done in public places like that. Hehe.

I think in sg, house is too small so they hv no proper area to study at home?

house in HK even smaller. But I do not see students studying in fast food joints...

If true then SG govt must give MacDonalds a big tax break to foster more marriages to increase the population. They wasted money on the SDU. Maybe Starbucks can apply for the tax break - some people spend a lot of time there too.

Last edited:
If true then SG govt must give MacDonalds a big tax break to foster more marriages to increase the population. They wasted money on the SDU. Maybe Starbucks can apply for the tax break - some people spend a lot of time there too.

Best is Changi Airport viewing gallery. Although nowadays the viewing gallery like shrunk in size already.

But I do not see students studying in fast food joints...

Found some comments that show that this problem may exist in some HK F&B outlets:

Nice concept store but looked like there were lots of students hogging all the tables even after all their drinks have been long consumed. Very annoying really. — Fransisca M. · April 3, 2013

Pacific Coffee Emporium 太平洋咖啡
Shop 6, Fashion Walk, 9 Kingston St, Causeway Bay, Causeway Bay

https://foursquare.com/v/pacific-coffee-emporium-太平洋咖啡/4fffc99fe4b056effc10d5fe

Many outlets have limited wifi (Y5zone free 20 mins) but not all and the problem with the larger stores is that they are hogged by students doing homework and people surfing the internet rather than drinking coffee.

Starbucks
Shop 1, New World Tower, 16-18 Queen's Road Central, Hong Kong, China (Central)

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowUserReviews-g294217-d1049946-r131094255-Starbucks-Hong_Kong.html

Then it should not be on just studying. Because if the studying is done within the 1-2 hrs as deemed OK by you, then studying is not at fault.
So it actually boils down to the DURATION.

Wow, we are on the same wavelength for once. :bsmilie: Time to buy 4D.