Studio Model Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice pose :thumbsup:

its the man behind the camera that makes a gd shot. :angel:

the equipment is secondary...

A studio newbie's effort.

studio1.JPG

Nice shots from everyone. It's always interesting to see how the results came out so differently even though we pretty much have the same model, same pose, same lighting, same background, etc.

To answer an earlier question, I used lens blur in PS with gradient mask to create the blurring effect which center at the model's face. As you recall, we were using F 5.6 - 8 or higher - Plenty of depth of field. Also, it's so much easier to create the blurring effect in PS than adding filters in front of the lens nowadays. In blurring the background, I tried draw the viewer's attention to Elise's face. Viewers can be very easily distracted by her naked body.

Hair was a lot more distracting in the original picture. If you look closely, there is no stray hair on or near her eyes. That's because I PS them away and keep the two locks of hair on the left. I suppose I could PS them away as well, but this will be a lot of work to make it look natural. Being a young and sweet girl, she has a bit of pimples on her face. I too PS them away, but I tried to do it such that her face skin textured is retained.

Personally, I like the hair dangling in front of her face. In hindsight, I would probably take more time to set the lighting and pose right before taking the shots. There is only so much PS can do. And it's bloody time consuming.

If I can take 5 good shot vs. 100 average ones. I would anytime take the 5. The lesson I learnt is - take the time to plan, setup the lights, and pose the model. Take fewer shots but hopefully better ones.

The last step was to convert to B&W. There are many ways to convert. Even within PS, there are at least 8 that I am aware of. I find this one retains the facial tone well. It's all trial and error.

I am still taking the same picture and play with different effects. Maybe I will get around to look at the rest of the shots during this weekend :bsmilie:

Duffy said:
Nice shots from everyone. It's always interesting to see how the results came out so differently even though we pretty much have the same model, same pose, same lighting, same background, etc.

To answer an earlier question, I used lens blur in PS with gradient mask to create the blurring effect which center at the model's face. As you recall, we were using F 5.6 - 8 or higher - Plenty of depth of field. Also, it's so much easier to create the blurring effect in PS than adding filters in front of the lens nowadays. In blurring the background, I tried draw the viewer's attention to Elise's face. Viewers can be very easily distracted by her naked body.

Hair was a lot more distracting in the original picture. If you look closely, there is no stray hair on or near her eyes. That's because I PS them away and keep the two locks of hair on the left. I suppose I could PS them away as well, but this will be a lot of work to make it look natural. Being a young and sweet girl, she has a bit of pimples on her face. I too PS them away, but I tried to do it such that her face skin textured is retained.

Personally, I like the hair dangling in front of her face. In hindsight, I would probably take more time to set the lighting and pose right before taking the shots. There is only so much PS can do. And it's bloody time consuming.

If I can take 5 good shot vs. 100 average ones. I would anytime take the 5. The lesson I learnt is - take the time to plan, setup the lights, and pose the model. Take fewer shots but hopefully better ones.

The last step was to convert to B&W. There are many ways to convert. Even within PS, there are at least 8 that I am aware of. I find this one retains the facial tone well. It's all trial and error.

I am still taking the same picture and play with different effects. Maybe I will get around to look at the rest of the shots during this weekend :bsmilie:

gd effort. lots of work done for one pic.

that is the love and passion for a hobby.

thanks for sharing :)

radi9red said:
My take on the last shootup at D-studio. Might not be too good according to textbooks / theory as i've shot using a cheap dyanx 5D and a S$200+ lens. Too lazy to buy film for my contax & bronica MF. So professional critics please forgive me.. i tried my best with my gears... Nonetheless, i like Mr Lim's studio, cosy and nice ambience.
So highly recommend it !!

elise.jpg

I heard advice about trying not to show knees. :embrass:

elise_ng said:
Not showing Knees? Huh?

I was given the advice that for full body photo, it is nicer if there is no knee

eg below. Mine is not pro but that 's what I got from the advice, so I follow :embrass:

elise2.jpg

:) :bsmilie: Wow paul.. you full-length studio shots very nice :bsmilie: .. show us some more of your Nikon D2X powers ..

Hmm , i only know try to avoid shooting feet. cannot shoot knees meh ?? then wedding dress shoot above knee become mini-skirt wedding dress ? hahaha:bsmilie:

radi9red said:
:) Wow paul.. you full-length studio shots very nice :bsmilie: .. show us some more of your Nikon D2X powers ..

Hmm , i only know try to avoid shooting feet. cannot shoot knees meh ?? then wedding dress shoot above knee become mini-skirt wedding dress ? hahaha

I newbie in studio (infact, my first time :embrass: )

really.

I also dunno about the knee thing leh. can some expert shed some light on it? :embrass:

actually, after the day, I totally forgot how to operate the studio lighting , I need to go for 2nd round next time

Paul_Yeo said:
I newbie in studio (infact, my first time :embrass: )

really.

I also dunno about the knee thing leh. can some expert shed some light on it? :embrass:

actually, after the day, I totally forgot how to operate the studio lighting , I need to go for 2nd round next time

:bsmilie: Hhahaaa.. you're not newbie la .. you got the best gears among us that went and had the best shots taken. yeah ! the rest of us got so fews photos in the end ;p

Stoppable said:
we signed something that says we cannot post.

You may post those photos that does not reveal ... , which mean no nude photos. Perhaps you would like to post the bikini ones. :)

Paul_Yeo said:
This 2 :embrass:

elise1.jpg

elise2.jpg

first time shooting in studio. :embrass:

going to try more next time.
Wah!! PRO shots :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.