Strobist - SUNPAK 120J PROFESSIONAL

Hi all,

Below is one of the light setups from Polaroid Gals #5.

35677738212_c3a0b364b2_o.jpg
Simple 2 lights - main left fill right. You can actually see the 60x90 softbox catch light at one of the background photo frame. And if you look carefully at the sneak peek pic, you can also spot the 80cm Octagon. Technically, I can PS away the catch lights. I choose not to do so, as I am okay with imperfections in my photos. Model is CoCo, an affable and brainy model who has an unique "universal?" face that makes her almost a perfect fit for all types of shoot.

35458850780_807d05f79e_o.jpg
Another photo using the same setup. Model is Kaela, a very talented cheery model who can emote and react to art directions extremely fast and very well. She emoted so fast that I had a hard time catching up with her speed. Impressive I must say, as this made my job much easier with less art directing.

Make up is done by Yi Lee, extremely talented makeup artist. The looks that she did for the models are simply brilliant. Styling by Wyn, as amazing always. She is the best stylist/assistant/art director/creative person that I ever work with.

Lastly I would like to say a big thank you to Jeffrey, owner of CAN cafe for lending me do the photo shoot in one of the coolest place I have ever been to.

A brand new special year (SG50) is just around the corner. Wish everyone a Merry Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Continuous Fluorescent Light (Technical), Photography with Continuous Fluorescent Lights

Last edited:
35677738662_2d61eb69d8_o.jpg

Hi all, just to share another photo using the same (almost) setup from above. Almost the same "?" was because i shifted the 80cm octagon fill light a tad nearer to the models.​

Last edited:
Hi all, The Year of the
35458849100_0dcbe75277_o.gif
meh meh have arrived. Since it is a New Lunar Year, just to share a simple light setup.

35006821224_fa847e0123_o.jpg

Simple left main right fill. This is actually a test shot... The main a bit strong so I down one stop to make both as fill which is the one below.
35677738572_0f845d8d6d_o.jpg

Wishing everyone from CS a Happy Happy New Year, Meh the HUAT be with you.

35006822814_167c3dfc51_o.gif

Last edited:
35006823284_a152748f23_o.jpg

Hi all, it's been a while I share another mini tip. This is a cheap DIY modifier project that is fun and tasty to do. It took me less than 15mins, excluding the time spent eating up the whole can of chips.

As mentioned before SUNPAK 120J has very few accessories or modifiers. 120J owners however can solve this problem which I had shared as a mini tip here. One of the very interesting light modifier I talked about is the Quantum QF-62 Bare Bulb Light enhancer. It enhances the light by 1 or 2 stop and it's great for doing high key background. The problem with the QF-62 is that it is a bit tight fit for the 120J and a new one with shipping cost about S$84-95. So I decided to DIY a cheapo light enhancer and see whether it works.

Spoiler alert! It did work. And I called it “The Potato Chips Light Booster aka The PC Booster”.
Minor note: Most of the images was shot with Sony A100, WB at Cloudy so the images a bit warmth. The Potato Can DIY images shot with Samsung EX-2F WB auto.
Ecompare01_zpsh9u0muzy.jpg
First image ¼ power 120J bare bulb aiming forward. Distance from the bare bulb to the wall is about 80cm ish. Got very close to a F8 reading. Second image bare bulb facing upward and I got a exact F8 reading...hmmm interesting. Third image 120J with the PC booster. Oh mine, one more stop of light at F11. Last image, 120J with original hood @ wide position give the most light boost at 2 2/3 to 3 stop more compare to just bare bulb alone.

35677740192_12af613ff0_o.jpg
The DIY process is fairly simple, by just using a pen knife to cut out the desired reflector shape. I am not sure about the optimal angle or height. Maybe there is, but it will take some time experimenting. The one that I did seem to work just fine. The height of the booster is about 9.3cm and the cut is made @ 4.5cm from the edge of the circle.

35458848490_0db26ce270_o.jpg
It's definitely not a looker as I just use gaffer tape to secure the PC booster to the 120J. Now to get 1 more stop of light from the booster, the gap between the bare bulb is quite important. The reflective surface must be very close - about 2-3mm. Anything further it will just produce at most 1/3 more stop. I am not sure what is the exact science physics behind this? I will try to do some research and ask around. Science is definitely fun and cool to learn.

Now, did I try using the “lesser half” booster? Yes I did, surprisingly it only produced a meter reading of F8.04. I also tried wrapping aluminum foil to the booster, first smooth foil surface and than crumpled foil. Surprising both foil surfaces produced a F8.08 reading... Strange? I think I need to do more testing to double confirm. Technically speaking the reflective/crumpled foil should do better than the matte silver surface of the booster.

35006821504_b75fae9c1a_o.jpg
Side by Side comparison. On the left we have a 120J with hood, distance from the light to the wall is 1.5m ish. The 120J with hood which produced 2 ½ stop more light even manage to blow up the ivory - colored wall tile skirting. However the background light distribution is not as even and the strong back light have started to bleach out the light stand. We can solve this by pulling the 120J away from the wall to give a more even coverage and the light stand a bit further away from the background to reduce the light bleaching/bleeding. On the right we have the the PC booster, with a distance from the wall is also 1.5m. The PC booster gives a more pleasing and even background light coverage and the light bleed is not so bad compared to the 120J with hood.

So what is the benefit of using the PC booster? I think the DIY PC booster work much better in tight spaces like home studio environment doing ½ or ¾ portrait. That's about it, hope you guys and gals find it useful. Lastly, Thanks for the kind comment from tory_felicia.

Last edited:
35677738362_b30364a5af_o.jpg

Hi all, another setup from “Big Shots”. Simple one light on the side, slow shutter to retain some background ambient.​

Last edited:
Hi all, just to share the editorial mock up for Polaroid Gals #5. Now planning #6, hope it will happen during August.

35677735442_419f1cbdb7_o.jpg

Btw, Pacific Rim 2 is happening. Exciting News :D

Last edited:
35458850350_ae0c2fc52e_o.gif

Happy Birthday Singapore!
:heart:​

Last edited:
35677737722_bbcac2671f_o.jpg

Hi all, here's to share another mini tip. I learn this tip from the photographer Don Giannatti, when he taught at CreativeLive. It was a cool technique, he called it the String Meter aka Wizwow's Rope Meter&.

Basically Mr Don Giannatti used a rope and a light meter to take down each meter reading at each interval distance and tied a knot to it. These knots act as light reading markings, for example the knot at 30cm is F11, 60cm is F8.6 and so on. It is a simple yet effective tool where a photographer does not want to carry a flash light meter or in a situation where the only flash meter just went dead on the shoot.

The Wizwow's Rope Meter is brilliant, although I have yet to use this method as I always have 2 light meters on hand for all my shoots. Instead of using a rope, I used a 5m tape measure with a pre-measured light reading mini chart which I kept inside my bag just in case... Recently I decided upgrade and simplify my Wizwow's Rope Meter a step further. I called it the Light Meter Tape 2.0.

35006822124_0bdbcaf255_o.jpg
LMT2.0: A 1.5 meter fabric tape measure, a piece of stainless steel metal piece (ferritic) and some strong magnets. I bought the fabric tape measure at a Pasar Malam for S$0.70 each. And the metal piece thingy and strong magnets at Dasio (Plaza Sing). I prefer the fabric tape over the metal tape because I can easily write on it and it is almost feather light. The negative part is that the fabric tape is 1.5m max.

35677740362_6bc9b3dbe6_o.jpg

Putting all together is a no brainer. The stainless steel plate already has adhesive pad stick to it. Stick the plate to the tape measure and we are done. Simple.

35715073331_69c6152f89_z.jpg

Now this step is more complex, and you will need a flash meter! Wait, but I don't have a flash meter? Well, go borrow one from a friend or go rent one. Now if you have a good buddy who is wiling to help, it will be easier and faster. If you are doing solo, you will need 2 light stand, the light modifier with the flash you always used for your shoot. For strobist who used multiple kinds of modifier, my advise is to take each modifier with its own reading. You will be surprised that a Softbox and a reflect umbrella will differ greatly especially when you pulled it further away from the subject.​

35006823214_698dff043b_o.gif
How to use LMT2.0: ask your model to hold the tape front @ nose level while you pulled away your light modifier from your model until the distance and the coverage/Fstop you want to shoot. Pressed the retract button and tape will slip back cleanly. No rope laying around. If you are shooting at the right ISO you should be spot on or very close to the exposure you are looking for. Now on a side note, this does not work well for group photos or you are using more than 1 light.

Now before I go to sleep, I would like to share a mini mini side tip for strobists who like to DIY. Here are just some of the places I go shopping for DIY stuff.

SPOTLIGHT - You can get unlimited fabric backdrop options (thick ones), interesting ornaments that can be used as GOBOS, Japanese ball lantern to act as omni modifiers.
Daiso Singapore - Car shade (reflector), collapsible water jug (H2o weight) and etc.
Toyogo Factory Outlet - Car Shade, collapsible water jug, up to 6-9 meter extendable long poles for painting that can be used for selfie stick or etc with a bit of mod.

When it comes to DIY, sky's the limit. Use your imagination and work out a strobist tool that will work for you.

MiniTip #1 Let there be Light,
MiniTip #2 H2O weight
MiniTip #3 Cheap Color Gels
MiniTip #4 Cheap DIY Reflector and Reflector Holder
MiniTip #5 SUPER Clamp
MiniTip #6 The 120J Mount Compatibility
MiniTip #7 The PC Light Booster

Note: If you see any missing link images, please just refresh the page. (May take a few times to reload the images)​

Last edited:
35677740652_e1b42348b3_o.jpg

Hi all, no light setup sharing this month and next month too. Still in the midst of planning and I don't want to rush into doing a personal photo shoot just for the sake of doing it. This month, instead, I am tackling a question that I wanted to verify and see for myself.

Is there anything that can surpass the Pocket Wizard in flash/X sync speed?

So far I have tried the Cheap PT-04 which was a draw @ 1/1250; the 433mhz Aperture got knocked out black by PW @ 1/800 sec. Instead of trying another radio trigger, I am trying something different - PC sync cable. And it is going to go against the PT-04 which is also a very cheap option and sort of an old radio trigger.

PW triggered hot shoe camera flash by transmitting radio-frequency from a transmitter to a receiver. PC (Prontor-Compur connection) sync cable triggered flash by short electric pulse/flash traveling through a cable/cord from one end to the other end. It is very old tech since the 40s? that have S, M, F mode which I am not going into. The X Sync started to appear on cameras like the gorgeous Nikon S2 in 1954 so it is more than half an century old tech.
35006821974_e260288cb9_o.jpg
Instead of using one very long PC male to household single cord, I used a 5m PC sync extension cord - one end attached to a cheap hot shoe with a PC sync port and the other end link to the SUNPAK sync cable.

35677737492_c7a0280f6c_o.gif
The result is surprising, I know that it will most likely surpass the 1/1250 speed as David Hobby already did it. What surprised me is that it went way way above @ 1/8000. Of course as you notice when it went passed 1/4000 the color shifted but it still managed to capture the flash with no black strip.

35677735672_8cf6a7ec96_o.jpg
Impressed by what I get, I proceeded to test the insane 1/8000 sec at all power setting. The Nikon D70 captured it without any black strip. However when I looked at the images on my monitor, I noticed something strange and it made me wonder why? I am going to do more further testing next month and try to figure out what it is. I will also be testing the 1/8000 at real world scene and see if the color shift will greatly affect the image in a negative way? So stay tuned for coming update.

35806198606_82bb894fb6_o.jpg
If you want to verify the image by checking the EXIF data, feel free to save the image above and see for yourself. I only did a 50% re-sized; nothing else. The flash is @ ½ power. No black strip. It's simply super impressive. (minor note: the black line on photo right is a gap between a wall and a cabinet. It is not the off sync black strip)

Last edited:
35677738782_59a66de3e5_o.jpg

Hi all, no posting last month cause I went for a holiday trip to recharge myself. After years of using my cheap and old PT-04, I decided its time to try something new again when 2 of my PT-04 trigger's battery contact have rusted. So when in Hong Kong, I jump the boat and got myself 3 set of Godox Cells II (GCs) Nikon.

Why Godox Cells II? If I was looking for another more powerful flash to replace the 120J, Godox AD-360 most likely will be no 1 on my shortlist. To trigger AD-360, I will need to buy FT-16 which includes a trigger and a small USB receiver. The FT-16 trigger has the ability to adjust power setting which makes it so so convenient when on location. However FT-16 does have its downside, it is made to work exclusively with the AD180/360 and AR400 (ring flash). So what if I want to add a 120J into the picture? The FT-16 does not have any hot shoe/PC sync/3.5 port. To make it happen, I can use Cells II (transmitter mode) to trigger the FT-16 receiver (with no access to flash power setting though). Strangely, I cannot find any confirmation that the FT-16 transmitter will fire the Cells II in receiver mode. I think I will only find it out in the future...

So do I like the Cells II? A few small yes and a BIG NO... I will post a personal mini review below and share what I thought if you are interested to find out more. When I first took the Cells II out of the box, the first feeling I got is “awesome!!! this is going to rock with my SUNPAK 120J”. Sadly, that awesome feeling was gone when I did a sync speed test.

The Cells II blacked out at 1/500 when in manual mode? :eek: WTH!

35677776912_c1a4f019e1_o.gif
Not sure what happened? Maybe the GCII was designed to work perfectly with Nikon HSS. If it is set to plain simple camera manual mode, the GCII complex/smart circuitry get confused (maybe?) and limit the sync speed to 1/500? I tried switching between the 3 sets, different channels, mount the GCII onto an external single pin hot shoe then mount onto camera. All with the same result.

Any ways to overcome the 1/500 sync speed? My guess is I can try FT-16 transmitter as it is only single pin so no TTL no talking to the camera stuff. But as mentioned before above, I cannot confirm that the FT-16 transmitter can trigger the receiver mode Cells II?

Godox Cells II Personal Mini Reviews
What I liked
1. Cheap, 3 GCII remote is cheaper than one PocketWizard Plus 3. (PW to me is still the best and most trusted remote trigger in the industry)
2. Well built with lots of functions build in. HSS (with certain model of Nikon and Canon cameras) Transmitter/Receiver duo mode, Hot shoe option, remote camera trigger and etc.
3. The pro look, it looks very similar to PW II...
4. Metal Hot Shoe.
5. Uses 2 AA batteries.

What I don't like
1. Big bummer as it blacks out at 1/500, my Aputure Trigmaster best it @ 1/800 and my old and cheap PT-04 @ 1/1250
2. Sometime the GCII will not fire on my Nikon D70? I have to switch off the GCII, remove it from the camera, reinsert back, on it and it will work? I suspect the TTL/HSS communication is causing this.
3. If using the original SUNPAK sync cable, you have to buy a PC Female to Miniphone Adapter or a Pocketwizard MPCF/ MPCF-L.

35677738902_e0f794bcb0_o.jpg

I will be sharing more on this as a strobist mini tips in the future​

Overall impression: The GCII is definitely a bang for the buck with lots of features. It will HSS with quite a number of Nikon/Canon cameras. But... if you have the intention of exceeding the 1/250 sync with leaf/electronic shutter cameras like the Nikon D70, Fuji X100, Sony RX100 II, Panasonic LX100, Lumix LX7 and others. Most likely it will not work. FYI, the Samsung EX-2F is not one of those camera capable of doing insane sync speed. I own one, for a holiday camera it is super. A strobist camera? a BIG bummer. I will talk more about it coming year.

Last edited:
35006822244_23b13d6a7c_o.jpg

My Evolution from CFLs (continuous fluorescent lights) to strobist

Happy New Year Everyone. 2016 has arrived.

Heads up - no light setup sharing this month. It is just me sharing my year-end reflection, some gear ranting, and what new things to expect.​

2015 is not a productive/smooth year for my personal projects. Polaroid gals #06, for some reason, was met with many hurdles. After weeks of planning/recce, I found a cool location and a model that I really wanted to work with in early 2015. Everything was perfect except on the day before the shoot I got played out/flakes by the MUA. This is the very first time I encounter such an irresponsible and arrogant MUA, and I never expect this would happen. Lesson learnt the hard way. PGs #06 was postponed. I tried again in June, but this time the model couldn't do the shoot as she is taking a long break away from modeling (which I fully understand and respect her decision). The shoot was again postponed. In November I tried yet again. Everything was in place except the new model's schedule just couldn't work out. Deflated and exhausted mentally. I decided that I will take a break, I went Hong Kong for a short trip and recharge myself. As I mentioned before, Failure is always an option. It is not a total waste of time as I did gain new experience/insight in terms of location recces and communicating with strangers.

Like the famous quotes from the movie Galaxy Quest: Never Give Up, Never Surrender, I will shoot PGs #06 and complete the project.​

35458848910_35f4680f12_o.jpg
Now, regarding the photo above. I am not trying to compete with Mr Joe Mcnally in owning many many flashes. These are used flashes (beside Sony and Yongnuo) that I have bought or given by mentors since 2008. As you noticed, all the flashes are kinda old. The youngest of them is the Sony flash I bought in 2013. When it comes to strobist, basically it can divide into 3 groups (using my own term). The old-timey who shoots solely full manual. The light mixer who shoots full manual and TTL and lastly the The techie who sworn by TTL. I am more of a 80% old timey and 20% mixer. Overall you can call me a OLD-timey. After years of strobist, I think it is time that I upgrade some of the gears and also try out/learn new ways of shooting.

So should I upgrade my flashes? The Godox AD360 (360Ws) and Yongnuo YN-560IV (able to remotely control power setting, low price tag) are both no 1 and 2 on my wish list. However after consideration, I decided I will put the flash upgrade on hold. Why? being an old-timey I just need a reliable simple flash that can work with a simple radio trigger. There are rare times I really wish I have a more powerful flash to fight the sun. To counter this, I can always bundle up 2 120Js with a parabolic umbrella or used a parabolic dish. Using electronic/leaf shutter cameras is also another option. Ultimately buying a high power flash or a flash with convenience feature is not a must-have on my basic requirements list.

Instead of buying a new flash, I bought 3 sets of Godox Cells 2 triggers. I am sort of disappointed with the Cells 2. It is a good feature packed flash trigger, but 1/500 max manual X sync is not what I am looking for. The Cells 2 will become my standby sets as I set out to find another radio trigger. After searching, I sort of found something interesting. The pricing is very reasonable about S$10. I have ordered it and It's on its way. I hope it will become my main trigger set. I will post a new sync speed vs review when I receive it.

What else I wish to upgrade? My Sony A100 is kinda old (DSLR age wise), my Nikon D70 is even older. Both cameras have served me very well. But in this modern time where everything is high megapixel, a 10 and 6 megapixel cam does seem a bit limiting, especially when come to cropping. So I started looking into a replacement for my Nikon D70. I wanted something compact but is able to do high speed manual sync. Panasonic LX7, Sony RX100 MKII and Samsung EX2F were shortlisted. Based on research on-line, I confirmed that LX7 and RX100 MKII is able to sync 1/1250 -1/2000 (electronic shutter). Samsung EX2F? No much info on it's X sync. I bought EX2F late 2013 when I came across a great deal, the articulating screen, F1.4 lens, and remote trigger app convinced me that its worth buying.

It is a bad buy... The Samsung EX2F is a great holiday camera, but as a strobist camera? it sucks super big time. First the EX2F has a dumb firmware that only allows original Samsung flash to be used. No third party flash and radio triggers? Worst of all, even some Samsung flashes will not work with EX2F? WTH!!! The last draw was when I went to the service center. So far I have dealt with Canon, Nikon and Sony services. Overall they are well trained and know what they are doing and the service is above average or good. Samsung call center staff were also good and helpful. I was very happy when they assisted me when I needed to buy a spare battery. So when I was baffled why the camera hot shoe is not working? I decided to drop by at the service center. My request was very simple - can you help me confirm that the hot shoe is working? A simple request turned into one of my worst experience ever encounter. Nobody seems to know anything about cameras and ridiculous excuses were given. Excuses like: Oh, this camera has a pop-up flash so this camera cannot mount external flash, Oh this is not a hot shoe camera flash port, this is a mic port. After arguing with 3 different technicians and a manager showing them the original printed camera manual and Samsung product website which show that the EX2F can mount an external flash. They unwillingly agree to keep the set for further testing as the Samsung flashes they have were also not working! After waited for a week they called me back to collect back the camera. They found a flash SEF15A, it seemed to work, but the sync speed will be fixed either @ 1/125 or 1/60 even in manual mode. This is super super bummer. The first brand new camera I ever bought since 2008 is a big disappointment.

Why I rant about this? This is to warn anyone who has the intention of buying a EX2F and used it as a strobist camera. Don't! Trust me it is not a camera meant for strobist. Consider Panasonic LX7, LX100, Sony RX100 MK II, Fuji X100, X10/20. You should be able find some sources who have tested these cameras.

I am going to let Samsung incident go, please do not post any additional comments or complaints on Samsung cameras here. If you have any personal bad experiences, please start a new thread yourself. End of my 2015 ranting.

Now for 2016, I will be sharing new things like mini tips updates. These are just updates on previous tips I have shared. There will also be some interesting 120J mods which will improve user experiences. I will also try to shoot more film for my personal projects. From medium format to large format film (sort of). Hopefully 2016 will be the year I try more new things and ways to explore strobist photography with 120Js.

Thank you all for dropping by from time to time and the ups that people have given me, Happy happy New Year 2016 everyone.

Last edited:
35006820964_603d85f81f_o.jpg

Hi all, as mentioned before, this is something new I called bit updates. As the title suggests, the updates will be related on the strobist mini tips I had shared previously.

35715073531_b90eb056e2_o.jpg

from left to right: Godox AD-S17, Godox AD-S18, Godox AD-S11 Grid and Color Gel (update to mini tip #6)

I bought these last year in Hong Kong. Godox AD-S17. Not sure if I will ever use this but I think it can be a good modifier acting as a diffused omni light to background. Godox AD-S18, this is the same as the Quantum QF-62 light enhancer I talk about from #7 The PC booster. This one fits perfectly with 120J. Godox AD-S11. At first I thought I it comes with a hood as a set. Apparently it just consists of a grid and 4 color gels.

35806198726_99787c77f9_o.jpg

A 3m/120” Hoechstmass Tape Measure (update to mini tip #8)

I think I bought this tape measure from a hardware shop in Mong Kok or Sham Shui Po? I can't remember exactly where (Please do not pm me and ask me where?). I paid S$8.50 for one. It's a bit expensive... maybe it is made in Germany. I think you can find similar 3m fabric tape on line if you look hard enough. The Hoechstmass 3m tape is light and can be stick to a softbox. To clarify, metal tape measure can also be used. You just mount it on the light stand and you have to find a permanent marker that can write on it. Having a 3m tape means it can measure further (full portrait).

35006822664_49f5e99dfc_o.gif

So that's about it. Lastly, give a shout out to movie Deadpool. It is a Super Kick Ass movie. It was one of a very few movies I watched twice in a theater. I am inspired.

MiniTip #1 Let there be Light,
MiniTip #2 H2O weight
MiniTip #3 Cheap Color Gels
MiniTip #4 Cheap DIY Reflector and Reflector Holder
MiniTip #5 SUPER Clamp
MiniTip #6 The 120J Mount Compatibility
MiniTip #7 The PC Light Booster
MiniTip #8 The Tape Measure Light Meter

Last edited:
Thank you for the triggers yesterday you passed...I was going through your posts today...you are much more senior that I imagined..Hope your humbleness more brings you higher in this profession :thumbsup:...rgds

35677737942_9ff557ef4b_o.jpg

Hi all, as mentioned before on thread #133, I was a bit disappointed with the Godox Cells II. It is a good and feature packed radio trigger but the max flash manual sync of 1/500 is a bit lacking for me. So I went about looking for another trigger which will replace my old PT-04. After surfing through the interweb for days. I found something interesting - DSLRKIT PT-08XT, a sort of PT-04 upgrade version in looks and range(?). I ordered it, and it reached me about 2 weeks. Did it impress me? Oh YES it did, and here is my review.

35006822524_e66d038c57_o.gif
The 08XT trigger excluding the antenna is roughly 10% bit bigger than my old 04. A plus for strobist shooter who used smaller cameras like micro 4/3 or compacts like the Sony RX100 II. In term of build quality, nothing to shout about. Its plasticky all round just like the 04. However in term of user design, it has one major improvement over its predecessor. It has a battery compartment that an user can access it easily. No more screwing with the trigger and open it up to gain access. The 08 also now has a tilty antenna on its side. Will it increase it's reliability and range? I am not sure as I have not tested it. But It does give a bit more “pro” look to it. The 08 also offers more channels option due to it's 3 channel switch design.

35715072711_6e6367d2ee_o.jpg
The PT-08 receiver has some minor improvements like bigger on/off switch, better battery door design. It is also 10-15% longer but slightly narrower and shorter in terms of width and height. The PC-sync port also has shifted from the side to the back which I kinda like. Lastly the PT-08XT has one more pleasing selling point in its sleeve. The 08 trigger is compatible with the PT-04 receivers.

35458850040_b3992fb4fa_o.gif
Now comes the important part - does it sync at 1/1250 like the Pocket Wizards? The answer is YES, it matches the PT-04 at 1/1250. I am impressed, and the PT-08XT will now be my main flash radio trigger in my kit.

PT-08XT, Things I like
Price, relatively cheap if compared to others.
Backward compatible to old PT-04 receivers.
More channels option.
Not complicating, simple fire and trigger action which will work on all ISO hot shoe flash.
Relatively compact, will not look super huge if mount on small compact like Sony RX100II.
Accessible battery compartment from the outside.
Channel switches located on the top of trigger for easy switching.
Added antenna for better range(?), reliability(?) and 'pro' look.
Bigger on/off switch on the receiver.
Better battery door design on the receiver.
PC-sync port located on the back of trigger. Remove limitation that the PC-sync being able to attache only on one side. Check out the sync speed test gif and you will know what I mean.

PT-08XT, Things I think need improvement on.
Radio trigger's battery door a bit flimsy.
Plasticky design, plastic hot shoe. (the cheap price offset this point though)
Loud branding on product. So far only Q flash trigger has the best subtle branding design. (nitpicking here)

35806198856_77da865090_o.jpg
FYI, I will be taking a short break from this thread. Have things to sort out and do. Will be back in June or July. Before I go off to take a break, I hope you will give me few mins of your time. 3 years ago, I mentioned that Fuji has discontinued FP-3000B peel film. Now they have decided to end FP-100C - the very last color and also the very last 100 format peel film in existence. Fuji has its reasons, and has made its decision final. This is a decision we have to accept no matter how much we hate it. However now film photographers are fighting for a chance that Fuji will consider to sell the machines and formula to someone else so the Peel film may be revived as a different peel film brand. Analogue film is a very very complex product. And it takes many many years to reach perfection. If the peel film machines and formula are destroyed, all will be over. No one will then be willing to invest millions to reset and try to get back a so near perfection film product. It is not like the fate of SUNPAK 120J which SUNPAK discontinued it. People still can get 120J from used market. And recently similar current products like the Quantum X series or Godox AD bare bulb flash will fill the gap for photographers who wish to invest in a new “120J alike” flash. And if someday some companies (Please, Nikon and Sony, give a thought on this) decided to revive the 120J 100% alike, it can do it with ease. Analogue film technology on the other hand is not. It involved very complex chemistry formula and super high precision mechanical machinery. If you think that Fuji peel film is worth saving, you can revisit the clubsnap thread I started here. You will find all the info and how to save it by signing the petition there. Thank you so much for your time. Appreciated.

Thank you gbn2377 for your kind comment.

(if you have any comments regarding FP peel film please post it at the clubsnap Saved FP-3000B thread. Not here please. Thank you again)

Last edited:
35677739322_3c0cc2a2d1_o.jpg
Hi all, sorry for the longer-than-expected break from this thread. I decided to reembark and complete a few overdue projects that have been on and off for the past 1-2 years. One of them is that I finally finished building a custom PC desktop all by myself. Anyway back to the point, this topic I actually did and completed during April. I wanted to share during July but then decided to put it on hold as I'm trying to get a Sekonic L478D and hopefully a Gossen Digipro into the myth test so as to get a better conclusion. After months of asking around, that seemed no luck in finding and borrow either one. I decided that I will just proceed to post it today. I will update this topic in the future if I can borrow one.

First, I would like to make things clear:

Why?
It all started many months back when I met a person (claimed to be a Professional Photographer) said that his light meters (supposedly a Minolta IV and a Sekonic L308, based on his description) can read a flash exposure from his Nikon SB flash @ 1/64 power from 10-15meters distance. He sort of implied my own Sekonic L408 and Minolta V are both defective since it can't detect his SB flash from a distance about 11-12 meters away.

During that time I was baffled by his claim, and it sort of put me in a serious doubt thinking whether my own meter's light sensor might be deteriorating and losing sensitivity. I have never came across this situation before as I have never taken a flash reading this far and @ such low flash output. My Sunpak 120J lowest is 1/16, Minolta 5400HS is 1/32. And normally if I am at this far a distance, I just chimp from my camera.

After pondering about this for a few days, I decided I will find out myself with a test. On hand I have a few flash meters and I got permission from the owners to use it for testing. I also went ahead borrowing a Sekonic L358 to add into the test as it is fairly new as compared to the other meters. Surprisingly it cleared away my worrying doubt and made me learn and know more about light meters.

Disclaimer:
Please note that this is not a Scientific Test. I try to be as accurate as possible and I only did the test once. It took me 4 hours and 30+ mins when I did it outside my long narrow corridor @ 1am. This is to ensure that the test setup will not be disturbed as everybody is sleeping except me.

35458851690_c273114a7d_o.jpg
4 measuring points @ 2m, 4m, 6m and 8m. Flash output from 1/4-1/32 for Minolta 5400HS and 1/4-1/16 for 120J. At each exposure reading, I will take a reading 5 times to ensure the exposure is accurate and constant. The Sekonic L408 and Polaris don't have rotatable dome heads thus I need to tilt the meters backward so I could see and record the reading. From time to time both meters may have 1-2 reading with 0.01-0.02+- differences. I will than average out to get a reading from the 5 exposures. All flash meters have been reset to default factory setting. If a EU (Under Exposure) is recorded I will pump up the ISO to 400 to read again. If 3 EU readings is shown. The test will end at that record point.

(FYI, Sekonic L358 is a light meter created during the DSLR era. It's reading @ 1/3 stop is cater to DSLR user. I have put the 1/3 increment down so you have an easier time comparing to other meters which are analogue film camera based.)

35677739072_0cd8afb4c8_o.jpg
Besides Flash Exposures, I also mounted a LED panel to test ambient reading. It show something interesting as compared to flash exposure reading. Once a EU reading is recorded I will increase the ISO from 400 to 800. If EU reading still show at ISO800. The test will stop at that point. Also attached a simple diagram on how the setup is been done. Now for Minolta III, according to manual, its flash exposure range is F1.4-F90.9. However when it comes to ambient it show EV1-EV18.2 instead of Fstop. So based on result, I guessed it's ambient reading range is F1.0 to F90.9?

What I gathered based on the data collected:

Lets put the minor 0.03 – 0.01 (1/3 stop) difference between the meters aside. As I mentioned before, this is not a scientific test and some margin of human error and different factory calibration in each meter may contribute to the 1/3 stop difference. The main purpose is to find out - “Is it possible that a Flash Light Meter can read a flash exposure from a Hot Shoe Camera Flash @ 1/64 power and @ a distance of 10 meters or more?”

Now based on testing with a hot shoe flash zoom @ 35mm, 120J @ wide spread. I am confident to say that the statement from that photographer is absolutely bogus.

Now you might think - hey! how about if that pro photographer zoomed his hot shoe flash @ 105mm or even longer? It might increase the flash output and register a read on his meters? Yes, maybe? But frankly speaking who will shoot like this in most situation? I know I don't, thus I am not interested to find out. I wanted to do a test that is more commonsense, tuned with more logical setting that can be applied to what most photographers may use in most portrait shoot situations.

My conclusions and final thoughts,

1. Know your light meter well, read the manual! Really! Read your light meter manual thoroughly. Each light meter has its exposure range limit. Some have the same reflected/incident ambient/flash range and some have a total different set of range limit. A good example is the Polaris Flash 2. Its flash limit is F2.0 to F90.9 but when come to ambient incident it can measured a surprising low F0.5-F90?

2. Once it went under its flash exposure limit range, increasing ISO would yield the same EU result. However for ambient exposure it does work (1 stop max). Not sure about this... maybe the constant light has a bit more room for the light sensor to detect as compared to the super fast flash burst of light?

3. There is nothing wrong with my Sekonic L408 and Minolta V. Both are functioning properly.

4. Side note: I noticed that my SUNPAK 120J with its reflector set at the standard wide angle produced a similar amount of light with a lesser powered 5400HS zoom @ 35mm. Interesting... (FYI: 120J standard/zoom angle is to pull out the reflector a bit outwards using the circle to circle symbols as guide)

Important: For anyone who have read this sharing and wish to discuss more indepth, please start a brand new thread. You can use the charts I created and discuss from there. I do not want to turn this thread into a heated argument between individuals. I did a test with much effort and time spent and this is where I would like to stop at. Thank you for your understanding.

35677739692_378b51f491_o.jpg
Lastly a teaser pic for Polaroid Gals – HONG KONG EDITION! Amazingly I managed to do a personal shoot alone in Hong Kong during a four days visit last month. It is wet, cold, many long recce walks and a few discouraging encounters at times. Anyway I manage to pull it off. I will share more about it during New year eve, so stay tuned everyone.

Oh Christmas is near, wishing everyone a happy happy holiday and Merry Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
Happy New Year Everyone. 2017 has arrived.

2016 is sort of a very slack year for me in term of photography. Not much shooting, as I decided to complete few other projects that have been put on hold for a while. However I did embark on something crazy in 2016. I traveled alone to Hong Kong and did a personal shoot during my 4-day visit in late November.

This is by far the most challenging and also the most expensive personal shoot I ever did. The shoot was put together in a short amount of time - about 3 weeks of planning and 2 days of location recce and 3rd day was the actual shoot. With a very tight time schedule plus bad weather, the location recce process was particularly very tough. Ultimately I managed to rent a super cool location on the second day.

Because I am traveling alone without an assistant, I have to downsize my gear. Instead of DSLRs, I went ahead to rent a X100T (actually I wanted to buy a new one in HK but didn't) and a Sony RX100V. For lights, I brought One 120J (with 3 rather small modifiers), One Yongnuo YN465 and 2 LED video lights which sort of saved my ass.

Below are 2 of the shortlisted shots for 3rd wardrobe. One is lit using a 120J and the other the LED video lights. Which is which? Scroll down for the answer.
35677739792_c0d26b59a5_o.jpg

Left image is lit by 120J and the Right low key image is lit by the 2 LED video lights.

Stayed tuned for the detailed setup and why the LED lights became the main (hero?) light for the whole shoot on Chinese New Years Eve.

Happy Holidays everyone.​

Last edited:
Hi all, time flies. And now we are welcoming the Year of the Rooster.

Continuing from the previous thread, I will explain why the LED video light became the main light. Since I was working alone and overseas, I had to downsize my gear dramatically. For lights, these are the ones I brought along:

Yongnuo YN465 (as a standby) with a 40cm Flash Disc Diffuser - Original idea was to use it for 1/2 body portrait or a punch light. Due to time limitation, I never used it.

SUNPAK 120J with GODOX AD-S17 dome diffuser - good for lighting up a huge area. I also brought along the AD-S18. Tested on location, it was too bright and the shadow was very harsh compared to the S17.

35677739422_b709b921b9_o.jpg
DV-160V 9.6W Video Lights - I bought these LEDs 2 yrs ago from a shop in Mong Kok HK (one of the IT mall) about S$38-39 each with a bit of discount since I bought 4 pieces. It is small, simple design, nothing to shout about... However it has 2 features that I like. It has cold shoes on 4 sides which allowed me to play with different light formation and it has barn doors which I could control light spread (pretty neat). Last year, I went back HK and wanted to buy 2 more. However I can't find it in any of the shops? (Please don't ask me where to buy locally or Hong Kong I have no idea, please go search online or eBay.)

Below is the light setups with and without 120J.​

35006823414_3f771293ef_o.jpg
We shot the 3rd wardrobe on 2nd floor which has no windows except ceiling lights. It was pretty dim even if I switched on all the lights (remember this part). I was using two DV-160 9.6W arrange in a strip light shape. The LEDs was placed slightly above the model's head and on its side. Constant light has one big advantage. You can see the light on the fly and you can tweak the light to the desired effects. I wanted a low key rembrant feel. When comes to rembrant, it depends on where the model faces. The photo above, Alex turned her head a bit and became a broad light (a bit like split also), quite dramatic. I shortlisted the photo where Alex was facing the camera (refer #139) as her tilted head shadow aligned with the table cast shadow.

35677738132_f0c095f085_o.jpg
This shot is taken with the 120J, The dome diffuser is a interesting modifer. It is omni directional, and the light is not as harsh. I like the feel but It has one problem in this situation. Redeyes! Remember when I mentioned 2nd floor was pretty dim. I found out when I was shooting the 1st wardrobe.

Now Redeyes (REs) how to solved? Well there are a few ways,

(1)Pre-flash, let the eyes adjust slowly.
Yes after some time the red eyes will go away, however it took at least 2 mins and more. If I talk to the model for more than 1/2 min. The
REs will come back when I flash again.
(2)Increased ambient or find a spot with a bit more light, so iris can contract.
I can't, I only have 2 LEDs which are way under power compared to the 120J. The slightly more lit spots are kinda less interesting.
(3) Avoid the direct flash. (refer to #139)
REs still present, remember the dome is omni directional, the light spread is so wide it still hit the eyes.
(4)Fix in Photoshop
Yap, is an easy fix. No big deal.

So basically, this is the 3rd reason I decided not to use flash after the 3rd wardrobe.

Now comes the 1st and 2nd reason. 1st reason was limited time - I only had 90mins to finish the whole shoot. 2nd reason I set a target of 7 wardrobe changes. The most by far from all the Polaroid Gals shoots. So on average every wardrobe I only have 13mins. And I had to factor in warm up time for me and the model, art directing, wardrobe changing, touch up and restyling. It is not totally impossible, but still a very daunting task. I discovered that if I used flash, it will take me 4-6mins (chimping+tweaking) to get the shots I want. LEDs, 2-4mins. Thus in the end, after the third wardrobe. I decided not to use flash as the low power LEDs were the more suitable artificial light choice for this environment and situation.

In the end, we managed to go through 8 wardrobe changes for the whole shoot. How did I manage to do it? It is more of a team work effort plus working with an model (Alex) and makeup/stylist (Agnes), who both have editoral shoot experiences also play a huge part. I will share more next time.

35006822924_64e4ff9df9_o.gif

Happy Chinese Lunar New Year Everyone. Enjoy your holidays with your family.

Note: If you see any missing link images, please just refresh the page. (May take a few times to reload the images)​

Last edited: