[streetNOISE] Thaipusam 2013

jfxberns said:
Were all the photographers asked to leave--or was I the only one?

Yup unless you're connected to the families or related.

amritsg said:
Sorry for that uncalled for reply. It was more about like sometimes it's good to know what the event is in the first place. That'll already help make a good guess on what to bring.

But okay, sorry. I truly would not bring any super zoom lenses (a la 70-200). Prime lenses are good. Fast is best especially if you plan to go early, as in night time. The other thing you can consider is bringing a 24-70 or crop companion, something just in case. Cheers. Happy shooting and see all you guys there! Have fun!

Not really. On hindsight, there were occasions were i did wish i had a 70-200 with me.

daredevil123 said:
PLEASE NOTE THAT ACCESS TO TEMPLE IS DENIED TO ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS UNTIL 2AM.

That's weird. I wasn't asked to leave. I just finished my shoot. Been there since 10pm onwards.

nitewalk said:
Not really. On hindsight, there were occasions were i did wish i had a 70-200 with me.

Okay I know everyone will try and crush my opinions but yet that's why their my opinions. Each their own shooting style. I'd never be caught dead with a 70-200 in such an event as that.

It's been a wonderful experience for me as a first time camera owner and first time going to this kind of special event. Yes. i saw some guys who were asked to leave the premises, but ultimately, all were able to stay in the temple. But there this annoying scene i wish to brought up. Keep a good distance away from those devotee. Try not to bring ur big camera, big lens and point at their face while their relative were preparing their event. such as piercing etc...
Have a good ethic and they will welcome you next year.

Thanks daredevil123 and the streetNoise gang for organising this!
My first time at Thaipusam, it was a great experience, other than try out my noob angles also get to see the experts (many celebrity photographers in CS and outside spotted hehe) in action, really learnt a lot.

That's weird. I wasn't asked to leave. I just finished my shoot. Been there since 10pm onwards.

I think you are the lucky few after all of us were asked to leave by around 9.30pm. Those who are around were those who mingled among the crowd individually or in very small groups, or probably let in after the early birds left heh...

It's been a wonderful experience for me as a first time camera owner and first time going to this kind of special event. Yes. i saw some guys who were asked to leave the premises, but ultimately, all were able to stay in the temple. But there this annoying scene i wish to brought up. Keep a good distance away from those devotee. Try not to bring ur big camera, big lens and point at their face while their relative were preparing their event. such as piercing etc...

Agree with good ethics. But also learnt what the regulars do... they shoot close and give their contacts so that they can send the families the photos that they took. I didn't have much problems shooting close, acknowledged the family members, smiled, chatted with them, showed them the photos that I took and they were mostly very welcoming. Just be aware and don't get too close when the devotees get into a trance and may not be aware what they're doing

But i did see a few using flash (bursts of flash, not the LED continuous light) and wearing footwear in the temple grounds ;p

Mevand my friend were also asked to leave the premises. Luckily when Mr Tungtong passed us, he told us the way to enter again.
I went again this morning
A lot of ang mohs flashing their flashes even though its really bright. Even some of them are getting on the way of the devotees.
Just my observation this morning ,
By the way thanks again for the shirt Albert

Also i learned a lot of this thaipusam by talking to the devotees, volunteers on the kitchen on why, where, and what is this festival. Especially the delicious food they gave me during the interview haha

lovely~ there are free food and hot drink but i not use to eating meals at late hours. haha.
Yes. the devotee enjoy themselves and help me to attract a baby so that i can have a clear shot on his face. ;)

It was an experience too alright, for my friend and me, body to body queue, almost every inch of the ground taken up, the cacophony of sound, and so on. My only regret is that I should have brought two cameras, with fast lenses due to the light, easier than changing lenses ... and that I was 6-foot 6".

I wish I get some of their luck, my friend and I were drenched a couple of times with milk, not just drops but a pouring, as we were so close to them (not by choice, every side of us there was someone).

They seem to stand around the one who will be pierced, so it's not exactly easy to capture, assuming one is a gentleman, of course.

We were never asked to leave, though, the guard even told us how to get inside where the action was.

We finally got tired and followed the devotees out of the temple, and ended up in a walk. Someone told us we better jump over the rail or we end up walking right up to the other temple at Tank Road :).

i saw some people use a handheld square light to add extra lighting to the subject. what kind of product is that ahh??

i saw some people use a handheld square light to add extra lighting to the subject. what kind of product is that ahh??

That is a handheld LED light... Those I know were using Yongnuo SYD-0808

yn-syd-0808_4fd19c6e0bb50.jpg

Source: http://static.productreview.com.au/pr.products/yn-syd-0808_4fd19c6e0bb50.jpg

Can be bought online for about $30+-

And of course other kind of LED light should theoretically work too...

That could be me... ;) It is a rechargable LED light. They come in a lot of sizes. Mine comes with Li-on battery so the light is brighter and lighter while still staying small.

That could be me... ;) It is a rechargable LED light. They come in a lot of sizes. Mine comes with Li-on battery so the light is brighter and lighter while still staying small.

are you wearing a black polo? i saw one holding it at around 2am plus taking picture of a guy getting ready to carry his huge kavadi?

Are you the guy who wear their yellow t shirt and with a lady? taking nice photos with those kids? with the LED light? :)
Or another guy wearing a sleeveless t shirt?
I only saw these two guy with the LED light. :D

are you wearing a black polo? i saw one holding it at around 2am plus taking picture of a guy getting ready to carry his huge kavadi?

Are you the guy who wear their yellow t shirt and with a lady? taking nice photos with those kids? with the LED light? :)

I think the practice of using LED light is spreading, especially after you have seen them in action, and not too expensive poison hehe (though not me... yet =p...)

There are quite a few photographers using LED light that night, and many wearing yellow t-shirt hehe

I am the big sized guy in yellow T-shirt.

The other yellow T-shirt guy you saw with a lady in yellow T-shirt. That is most probably the famous tungtong you saw.

Most of the time my light is in my pocket actually. Did not have to use too much LED this year, because so much tentage up with flor lights.

Last edited: