Street Portraits

88. Kashgar Sunday Livestock market - Sons are started young in learning the father's trade
$Kashgar livestock mrkt10.jpg

89. Kashgar Sunday Livestock market - This young man has full confidence in handling the livestock
$Kashgar livestock mrkt11.jpg

92. These photos (92 to 96) were not shot in Xinjiang, but Dunhuang, Gansu

$DH desert fashion show06.jpg

$DH desert fashion show03.jpg

Last edited:
Most of the elders do not like their photos being taken. I was told it was because of a religious belief. I also feel there is another added reason which is, I am a Han Chinese. The moment they see me hold up a camera, they would lift up their hand to indicate: No! But then, the moment I speak to them in English, that is to let them know I am a foreigner, they lighten up. These three photos shot within a time frame of less than two minutes was a common experience I had with the Uighur men. I love those moments of interaction - precious.

97. The moment he saw my camera, his hand movement caused my AF to go off tangent.

$Turp st lesson.jpg

98. When he heard me speak to him in another language, he lighten up.

$Turp st lesson02.jpg

99. After I showed him the above photo, he cracked up.

$Turp st lesson03.jpg

Last edited:

$kashgar old man teahse02.jpg

101. This little girl is a natural. Took a shot of her alone before her friends joined in.

$DSC05771.jpg

Last edited:
102. Naan the basic staple food. It is a food for home and travelers. It could easily last for three days.

$DSC06866.jpg

$DSC06871.jpg

104. All ready for delivery before the day begins

$DSC06880.jpg

107. I had to get my wife involved in this shot. I framed the shot and my wife got her to look towards us.

$DSC06930.jpg

Last edited:
108. In Kashgar, there were bronze, wood and metal craft men but this was the only potter that we came across. And a very stylish artist I might add. The complimentary coordinating colours of his dressing and studio was a sight to behold.

$DSC05823.jpg

Last edited:
109. These few photos were shot in Turpan. We decided not to visit the Flaming Mountains as the weather was just too hot. In the morning it was already 40C and the hotel staff told us we were having good weather. Because of the heat, we decided to visit their market and we were pleased with what we witnessed ... Fowls selling and trading. It looks like pigeon rearing is a big thing in that region.

$turp men junxta.jpg

Last edited:
111. Carefully choosing his would be champion

$turp man rooster.jpg

112. Looking for a trade or buyer

$turp man rooster02.jpg

113. Starting young

$turp child pigeon.jpg

114. Selecting the best pigeon

$turp father pigeon.jpg

Last edited:
115. Dust is a perennial issues in this area.

$Old City life splash water.jpg

I believe I am done with the street portraits of Xinjiang. The following are street portraits shot from different places.

$people boy in plane03.jpg

$people ch sdk.jpg

$people ch paper sdk02BW.jpg

Last edited:
Really enjoy going thru all the images!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharing this in Clubsnap Photography Community FB page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk