Streats: Why Singapore women go for ang moh men

Status
Not open for further replies.
with higher education comes higher expectations....when expectations are not met, they complain, find another one. if expectations are met, they increase expectations... hopefully i'll find my dream sg wife. not all sg girls are like tt lah....

If you find one that's not like that, I really think you're luck ;)

One man's meat is another man's poison....
not fair generalizing the rest of the singaporean girls... it all comes down to u and one girl... if things doesn't work out, both parties are responsible.

davsmiths said:
with higher education comes higher expectations....when expectations are not met, they complain, find another one. if expectations are met, they increase expectations... hopefully i'll find my dream sg wife. not all sg girls are like tt lah....

hmmm, dream wife, dream girl, dream guy.... why do we dream? coz we can't find what we want in reality... and so what are the chances of finding your "dream someone"?

well, quite impossible... but not impossible....

one can always have hope....

The true fact is that 'Ang Moh' has longer d... than any Asians. ;p

So Satisfaction is guaranteed for gers. :thumbsup:

whypaymore said:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

just to share some my experience...

SG gers dont necessarily want AMs, but those that do, think theres 2 main cats:
1. those that do so blatantly wants a 'shortcut' in life...erhmm...shortcut to style, status, etc etc...perhaps by reason of ironically a low self-esteem or a 'quick fix' turnpoint to Life

2. those that "happen" (trial and errors or fate as they LIKE to put it) to be with one somehow, is mostly on basis of "the lesser of 2 evils", meaning to say, perhaps of all the men, all nationalities, she encountered, this AM turns out the most presentable one, to her family, to her circle of friends. she may not "love" him as in LOVE per se, but hes the least irritating, conservative (other words skimpy) obnoxious of the lot...perhaps the singular one that she can go on with..the lights on. ahem..

From what i tell my cousins and sister behaviour, SG gers are more interested:
1. long term prospects...assets, career track, in some way background.
in singapore terms, least you are talented or quite lucky or borne with a semi-silver spoon, you are unlikely to amass a significant asset by say 29-32 (which of you would announce you are on track to success at 34?). career?..shes has one here too so she knows where you be going from YOUR "achievements" AND whines. background?...worst, all she need is 2 house visits (once may not be enough).
2. social portability..how you ARE an asset to her social perspective. those ladies i know pit amongst themselves the car each beau drives, whose able to foot bills at the turn of a finger without a wince, esp dinners and shopping, whose got the latest entry to a private show or party. whose able to speak up for himself and HER when even vaguely compared upon.

AMs have one thing going for them, the fact that they are HERE. same goes the Singaporean men who work up in Shanghai or Tawian. they are hot property cos chinese belief goes "To cross straits, one has to be a Dragon"...meaning to say there must something going for these guys in order for them to be even emplaced here in some positions on good terms in the first place. that is a bonus and latent factor.

no these are not materialistic traits...these are however the traits of a society where common afluent education has raised expectations and hence social complexity. why settle for gold when diamonds are but a 2 zeros away? this is the new social structure based on the concept of exclusivity. isnt this what private housings, brand cars, well and even top end DSLRs all about?..

the one trend expected from this is the continued rise of abortion by higher educated women. this goes to show directly how much feminity they are willing to forsake for who else?...but themselves and their world, cos till they find that all exclusive anchor.

my call is if you want to be an AM, then go to China and REFUSE to converse in anything but perfect English (no, Singlish-ers need not apply).

John said:
Well..the view point that I have on those sg gers that I met arnt really that pleasant..I would like to summarize tham as follows :

1) Sg gers with their higer educations feels that they are of equal status , which I
dont mind but some do look down on those with lower deucation or lower work
status. The look up attitude and not look down attitude.

2) Sg gers does have this arrogant attitude in their day to day conversation and
behaviour that disregards other's feelings. The only I am right and I must win kinda
attitude too.

3) Sg gers also tends to be more demanding in their expectations in life as compared
to maybe the malaysians gers. Being the 5C's of course.

You can't really tell the diff till you stay in the place for some time and get a feel of the present 'culture'.

just curious..are we the only country in this planet to keep lamenting about these topics? hmm... :dunno: that's so pathetic

whypaymore said:

:bsmilie: Like that might as well go for black pythons :bsmilie:

OT, but wanna clarify something...

If we're not allowed to hotlink images without permission, not to say downloading & posting the images here also.

Then are we allowed to copy other's articles, and duplicate a copy on this forum?
Has this been overlooked? I assume newsworthy articles/images can be hotlinked/duplicated?

Thanks. :)

although an OT, i cannot see the relevance to the topic at hand. wrong forum?

another OT.

Racist threads are not allowed in the guideines.
Bashing AMs are supposed to be a no-no?
Or is it because most of us are Chinese/Malay/Indian (no AMs here), thus that is why it is allowed?
Or is it because 95% of the people here are guys, that's why we can bash Singapore women?

Thanks.. :)

Some thoughts to keep you all thinking. ;)
Healthy discussion is welcomed though...

whypaymore said:

If you have a big and loaded with features camera but power consumption is darn high, can only last you 2 hours, that mean you may need to have 1 or 2 more back up.

Likewise, even if the size is smaller but equally loaded with features but can last you a day or two. Which one you'll choose.

Size doesn't matter here, its durability and endurance. :bsmilie:

local chinese singaporean girls go for ang mo gwai is because the grass is whiter ...erm... greener ..on the other side.

Adam Goi said:
Hi again.

Was directed to this article by the same friend; written by the same guy who wrote "No man is right for picky women".

Your views again? ;)

November 19, 2004

Why Singapore women go for ang moh men

By Philip Lee

JUST after I had finished writing my commentary last Thursday on Singaporean women being too picky in choosing mates, my colleague Godfrey Robert, who had read it, told me: When you return to work on Monday, be prepared for angry mail from women.

I said: Great. I hope there will be a healthy debate on the subject.

The subject, is, of course, old hat. But it never fails to excite robust comments from both sides.

We received quite a few responses and I am highlighting two letters, one from a Singaporean man disillusioned with local women, especially those educated overseas, and a woman who explains why she married an ang moh.

The male reader e-mailed a trenchant letter. He said: Singapore women have become too superficially Westernised or Americanised (without really grasping the finer features of Western culture).

They are too materialistic, self-centred and self-righteous to be worth the effort for men to woo them.

My single men friends would far prefer Malaysian women (those who have not lived here long enough to catch the dreaded disease) and, of course, Chinese ones.

In a nutshell, Singapore women, having watched too many Ally McBeal or Sex in the City episodes and other mindless stuff on TV and read too much of the drivel written by mostly women journalists, have forgotten that they are Asian.

Worse, they have forgotten how to be women.

Do Singapore women realise all this? They are probably too consumed with themselves to even notice.

And men who have despaired of and given up on Singapore women don't even want to bother telling them either, much less explain why.

So let these women continue to disparage Singapore men, sniff at men who don't make them laugh.

Goodness, when will they wake up to the fact that the silver-tongued 'ang mohs' who chat them up and sprout amusing crap want only, in the end, to bed them? And then say goodbye after it is all over?

A woman named Grace e-mailed to say: I started dating way back when I was 14 years old. I have dated Malays, Indians, and Chinese men all locals.

I have been happily married for more than five years to a strong, tall, handsome ang moh from Australia.

Am I a picky woman? Hell, yes!

I don't think anyone is looking for perfection. You can't be serious if you are. No one is perfect.

But everyone loves a confident person. Interviewers look for confidence in potential employees, mothers bring their kids to doctors they have confidence in, and people vote for a president who inspires confidence.

It's the same with looking for the other half in life. A sense of humour can be indicative of a person's confidence. This applies to both the man and the woman.

It says a lot about how you perceive the world. It tells the other person if you are the sort who can handle the situation when something goes wrong.

A positive outlook and a sense of humour definitely make a person very attractive.

Imagine, if you do not have confidence in the other person, would you want to spend the rest of your life with him or her?

So what is it, if anything, that separates local men from the 'ang moh'?

Is it this elusive C?

Looking back at all the men I have gone out with, my theory seems frighteningly true, or maybe, it's just my bad karma.

Many, not all, of my ex-boyfriends were not the confident sort.

Not too long after I graduated from university, I was engaged to a very intelligent man. But he was also a cynical person, perhaps because of his broken family background.

Although I could talk about everything under the sun with him, he would clam up at parties and wouldn't even try to make conversation. This embarrassed me.

After a while, we broke up.

Another example was a colleague who was a highly educated bachelor in his early 30s, good-looking and well-paid. He was an excellent conversationalist.

But he was poor in social skills. He had no confidence in himself and relied a lot on me for a second opinion about even the simplest things. Then I met my husband. He is comfortable with being himself. He doesn't care if his polka dot tie doesn't go exactly with the purple pinstripe shirt; he just laughs at himself when people tell him how silly he looks.

The big difference is that he moved out of his home when he was in his late teens, and went to university in another state. He had to work throughout his undergraduate years to upkeep himself.

He paid his rent, bought a car, cooked his own meals, did the dishes, cleaned the house, washed and ironed his clothes, and studied at the same time.

That's what made him different and so full of confidence. He had to fend for himself early in life.

Our local man may have the confidence to rattle the square root of 13 to the 15th decimal place, but what's the use of that?

Being picky is not such a bad thing if one does not do this in the extreme weigh everything, warts and all, and then decide.

Another male reader said: Many Singaporean or Asian women date or marry white men because they want to obtain PR status to live in the West.

A Streats reader who signed off as Roziah wrote: Sure a woman wants a man who makes her laugh. That is before she marries him. But after that, she wants him to be responsible, help do chores, help with the groceries and so on.

I have never found a need to find a man who makes me laugh, though that would be nice. I was looking for someone who would make me feel comfortable, that I can be myself when I am with him, who would make me feel important in his life.

If I need a laugh, I will probably go watch a comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.