Spot Metering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul_Yeo said:
from your recommended website reading,

i think Spot Metering may not be suitable for event photography whereby i need to react fast right?

spot metering seems to need all the "messing around" with the settings...

in event photography, i would'nt have time to tweak this settings.

probably, i will have to test a few shots, set the settings and then go and shoot liao.

and during the event, i will move around and thus, dun think got time to do all this.

so how? :sweat:

That is why there is the exposure lock function. Sorry Paul, but I'm wondering whther you have any idea what the meter is for in the first place. Do you?

if you reallly want to learn, come down to a SEED, and bring along your camera. i'm sure there are one or two guys/gals there who will be more than willing to show you the metering bar and how the various metering systems work.

nothing beats a hands on tutorial.

coke21 said:
Actually the metering bar is only there for M and A modes if you have a flash attached. At least thats for the D100.

hmm.. I've just tasted with my F100 (without flash), and find that the metering bar can appear in all modes except P sporadically. Seems to me that it will appear will there's underexposure or overexposure with the shot. However, it will always appear in M mode

i know the AE lock . personnaly from an amatuer POV, it is not located at convenient location.

and i find that i will not be fast enough to use the AE lock for event photography.

justarius said:
hmm.. I've just tasted with my F100 (without flash), and find that the metering bar can appear in all modes except P sporadically. Seems to me that it will appear will there's underexposure or overexposure with the shot. However, it will always appear in M mode

Apologies. You are right. I was mistaken.

Paul_Yeo said:
i know the AE lock . personnaly from an amatuer POV, it is not located at convenient location.

and i find that i will not be fast enough to use the AE lock for event photography.

Get the correct exposure from your meter. Then switch to manual and set the settings your meter gave you. Then go forth and shoot and don't bother about those settings again as long as you are still shooting in roughly the same lighting conditions and at the same sort of distance.

coke21: aiyoh, no need apologies lar... so paiseh.. we're all trying to help paul here... :D

:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Paul_Yeo said:
thats what i like about M bcos sometimes those tv or av mode suggested some setting which i find i dun like loh...

??? .........

Paul_Yeo said:
from your recommended website reading,

i think Spot Metering may not be suitable for event photography whereby i need to react fast right?

spot metering seems to need all the "messing around" with the settings...

in event photography, i would'nt have time to tweak this settings.

probably, i will have to test a few shots, set the settings and then go and shoot liao.

and during the event, i will move around and thus, dun think got time to do all this.

so how? :sweat:

Wanna bet? ;) ... .hehehehe ..... It actually depends on what you want to do with it. One event photography, for example you wanted to take a record shot of, say, the food stuffs, you can take your own sweet time to spot meter it ...... A D&D for example, you might want to take the ceremony cake ... chances are the cake are not too active and would not run away that easily..... hehehe .....

Spot metering can be used anytime you think it is required. Another example is a Wedding Dinner where you want to take the picture of guest sitting around white coloured table ..... if you use matrix you might, just might, be underexposured .... so which is more important? That is entirely up to u
:D

for low light event, alway use this "standard SOP"

1. ISO 400 or 800
2. -1/2 or -1/3 stop EV compensation
3. TTL slow sync flash
4. -1/2 or -1/3 stop flash cmpensation
5. f4 or f5.6 for group shot
6.f2.8 or faster for individual shot
7.matrix metering
8. frame diagonally if u on the spot dunno how to frame the fast action
9.aperture priority mode
10. cam-selected AF point selection : = AI servo and cf11-2 for canon, = dynamic AF area mode and the "M,S,C" switch set to C.

this works more than most of the time for me ;-)

OK got it!

i tried aperture priority. think it works better than M or tv priority , at least for me.

ok, will set this settings :)

Status
Not open for further replies.