SONY RX100 MkIII Press Release with Images

Hi guys, I have called Sony today and they told me the free gifts for pre-order units (collect on 19th June) are 16GB SD card and the brown leather case. One-for-One Promotion is not applicable to RX100 Mk3. The reason is that the official launch for RX100 Mk3 is in July for Singapore. The One-for-one promotion will end in June 2014. What do you guys think about the free gifts? I felt the free gifts are not attractive at all.

That staff you spoken to obviously trying to snook you. During last month preview we were told very clearly the official launch is 19th June. Those who had pre-ordered can collect their Mk III from 19th onwards.

Thanks for replying my post. I have called Sony again today and now they said Sony RX100 MK III is no applicable for One-for-One promotion. It is a decision by marketing. Anyone pre-ordered their MK III during the last month preview? Unfortunately, I was not selected for the preview so can't hand a hands-on with the new MK III.

still got chance to hands-on

https://www.facebook.com/tkfoto/pho....4812.104050826307011/757216987657055/?type=1
https://www.facebook.com/clickcamer...18684.487679977917524/798316916853827/?type=1
https://www.facebook.com/SonySingap...302705.110135522136/10153099354847137/?type=1
https://www.facebook.com/2367885852...177889.236788585215/10152053916225216/?type=1

Thanks for replying my post. I have called Sony again today and now they said Sony RX100 MK III is no applicable for One-for-One promotion. It is a decision by marketing. Anyone pre-ordered their MK III during the last month preview? Unfortunately, I was not selected for the preview so can't hand a hands-on with the new MK III.

print out and bring this to Sony
http://www.sony.com.sg/microsite/sonydays/preview.html

There seems to be many upcoming opportunities to try out the RX100M3. As it will cost a fair amount of hard earned money, good to try it out first if you have the time. I spent a comfortable amount of time previewing the set before deciding to pre-order.

i was trying to preorder on mon.
ask for the free gift, they say order during preview than hv free leather case.
now order no more leather case?
than pre order for wat?

I ordered mine during last month preview. Counting down for 19th to come. :D

Would pre-ordering or buying it when it is in stock be a better idea in terms of cost? From what I know, most shops usually sells cameras below the SRP. I have called up those shops and ask if they accept pre order, and they said yes, at the SRP price of $1,199. I can expect a better deal after the camera is officially in stock right?
I need the camera by August.

Does anyone knows if the Sony store in NEX has this camera for people to play with? Very curious on the viewfinder quality.

Just went to one of the preview events at the Sony Centre at Funan. It was run by Esther, Sony Singapore's cybershot product manager who went through a brief marketing presentation. There were 4 or 5 units to play with.

Key points: the pre-order bonuses are a) the tan leather case (which Sony thinks is worth $139) and b) a Sony 16GB SD class 10 SD card. Esther said that this represented about $160 of value for pre-ordering.

Viewfinder: the VF is activated by pressing a small catch on the left side of the body. The VF then pops out vertically and you then need to pull the eyepiece out horizontally. There is no friction or other lock on the eyepiece, so you can't really brace the body against yourself for extra stability. Anything more than a light press against my glasses just pushed the eyepiece back in. Quality seemed quite good, reminded me of the EM5 I rented once.

Controls: I couldn't find a way to move the selected AF zone/point without diving into the menus. The Sony staff on hand didn't know how to do this either. The 4-way D-pad can't be used to do this as far as I can see.

Spot meter: there is a spot meter function but it only uses a spot in the centre. There is no way to move this spot. It wasn't clear to me if matrix metering is weighted towards the area that achieves AF.

Notes: it was interesting to see from the presentation what Sony thinks photographers want and who their target market is. Esther was keen to emphasise the built-in distortion correction functions (example given "if you have a group shot with a lot of people, the girls at the edge won't complain that they look fat!").

I will buy one but I won't be pre-ordering at this price. It's a pity Sony didn't see fit to throw in at least a spare battery and an external charger - I think that would be much more useful to your average serious photographer (and who else is going to be buying at $1200?!). At $1200 I'll be looking at HK or US sites.

Notes: it was interesting to see from the presentation what Sony thinks photographers want and who their target market is. Esther was keen to emphasise the built-in distortion correction functions (example given "if you have a group shot with a lot of people, the girls at the edge won't complain that they look fat!").
Depending on the kind of distortion correcting it will make them look even fatter. :)

Just went to one of the preview events at the Sony Centre at Funan. It was run by Esther, Sony Singapore's cybershot product manager who went through a brief marketing presentation. There were 4 or 5 units to play with.

Key points: the pre-order bonuses are a) the tan leather case (which Sony thinks is worth $139) and b) a Sony 16GB SD class 10 SD card. Esther said that this represented about $160 of value for pre-ordering.

Viewfinder: the VF is activated by pressing a small catch on the left side of the body. The VF then pops out vertically and you then need to pull the eyepiece out horizontally. There is no friction or other lock on the eyepiece, so you can't really brace the body against yourself for extra stability. Anything more than a light press against my glasses just pushed the eyepiece back in. Quality seemed quite good, reminded me of the EM5 I rented once.

Controls: I couldn't find a way to move the selected AF zone/point without diving into the menus. The Sony staff on hand didn't know how to do this either. The 4-way D-pad can't be used to do this as far as I can see.

Spot meter: there is a spot meter function but it only uses a spot in the centre. There is no way to move this spot. It wasn't clear to me if matrix metering is weighted towards the area that achieves AF.

I will buy one but I won't be pre-ordering at this price. It's a pity Sony didn't see fit to throw in at least a spare battery and an external charger - I think that would be much more useful to your average serious photographer (and who else is going to be buying at $1200?!). At $1200 I'll be looking at HK or US sites.

There should be the custom button setting in the menu to set it to go directly into the af point selection menu

Depending on the kind of distortion correcting it will make them look even fatter. :)

Haha well I doubt this works in practice anyway, fundamentally anyone standing at the edge of a 24mm frame at an oblique angle to the sensor is unlikely to be rendered in the same way as someone who is in the centre. I just thought it was funny that Sony brought this up, as personally I've never heard anyone actually say this - look at all the iphone pictures people post of themselves on facebook with distorted noses and faces!

There should be the custom button setting in the menu to set it to go directly into the af point selection menu

Ahhh thanks for the tip - that will be handy when I buy it. Does that mean the D-pad can be set to shift the AF point/zone directly, or does it just save you the first step by taking you straight into the AF zone size and placement selection menu?

i was trying to preorder on mon.
ask for the free gift, they say order during preview than hv free leather case.
now order no more leather case?
than pre order for wat?

but i juz pre-order mine ytd at JEM n i got my free gifts... its stated in the invoice too...

Does anyone knows if the Sony store in NEX has this camera for people to play with? Very curious on the viewfinder quality.

i dun think any of the sony stores has tis in for ppl to play... i went to a few stores there's only mkII there...

In the preview they already mentioned those units of MKIII we seen there will be going around SEA before the actual launch so unlikely you will see them in store for hands-on.

In the preview they already mentioned those units of MKIII we seen there will be going around SEA before the actual launch so unlikely you will see them in store for hands-on.

your inference could be wrong.

like they said (and you quoted), only the preview units will be going around the SEA region. they might have other units in the store by then.