Sony Alpha NEX-C3

Man, I wish these picture effects were available on the NEX3/5!

They are. I think you're a bit behind on your reading and FW updates. ;)

What is the rrp of nex c3? The current price is $1099 based on promotion price. In japan, nex c3 is more ex than nex 5.

yea post more pics for those who gotten the new C3! :D

Well, not completely false indeed...
It is light, small and could be used as a P&S (full automatic)...
But could also be used fully manually and the quality is definitely more on the DSLR side....

i think the correct term would be Compact Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Digital Still Camera. it can be considered a PnS for its size, but the functionality is that of a larger sensor format interchangeable lens camera

There's no right or wrong ! ...today, the lines have been blurred between what is a DSLR and a PnS, perhaps the only way to distinct them apart is by their IQ output.

There's no right or wrong ! ...today, the lines have been blurred between what is a DSLR and a PnS, perhaps the only way to distinct them apart is by their IQ output.

Isn't the DSLR named because of the mirror mechanism between the lens and sensor?

With the improved technology on CDAF and EVF, I believe DSLR will be slowly replaced by these so called Mirrorless System, esp so when it's getting cheaper to produce.

Nikon and Canon are probably scrambling now to push their R&D to quickly launch their own systems sooner than expected, seeing the improved IQ and CDAF speed from other manufacturers that has really eat into their market share significantly.

With these improved features, DSLR has slowly lost it's main advantage of speed and IQ.

Probably only those pro bodies will remain for a while longer...

Last edited:

Isn't the DSLR named because of the mirror mechanism between the lens and sensor?

Some people are only familiar with 2 groups, DSLR or PnS, and it’s hard to explain camera that come in between or outside this 2 groups.

Friend: Do you have DSLR?
Me: Well, not really a DSLR because there is no mirror mechanism, my camera is a Compact Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Digital Still Camera.
Friend: Not DSLR, so it’s a PnS la.
Me: It’s not really PnS, since my camera have some advanced/manual features … more than a PnS.
Friend: Whatever dude :dunno:

Some people are only familiar with 2 groups, DSLR or PnS, and it’s hard to explain camera that come in between or outside this 2 groups.

Me: Well, not really a DSLR because there is no mirror mechanism, my camera is a Compact Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Digital Still Camera.
Me: It’s not really PnS, since my camera have some advanced/manual features … more than a PnS.

Just show them your photos taken and they will keep their mouth shut...

Ya i find it annoying whenever people see a photo is nice and they say must be taken by a DSLR. Pls note that PnS cameras are also capable of producing good photos too. My point is that the term "DSLR" should not be loosely used and technically the NEX and other mirrorless cameras are not DSLR.

Man, I wish these picture effects were available on the NEX3/5!

Picture effects are available on NEx 3 and 5 after u update your firmware to V4.
However..only Nex C3 has the creative style mode where u change the skin tone n adjustment of color etc.

Picture effects are available on NEx 3 and 5 after u update your firmware to V4.
However..only Nex C3 has the creative style mode where u change the skin tone n adjustment of color etc.

yeah, I have v4 installed. Sunset, B&W, portrait, vivid, standard, etc. Lacks the creative effects, which should make for some interesting OOC shots with my Kipon tilt adapter and my 24mm Sigma 1.8 Macro :D

Ya i find it annoying whenever people see a photo is nice and they say must be taken by a DSLR. Pls note that PnS cameras are also capable of producing good photos too. My point is that the term "DSLR" should not be loosely used and technically the NEX and other mirrorless cameras are not DSLR.

I just tell people that it's a point and shoot. Saves me the bother of explaining so I can get back to more shooting :)

Which reminds me - has Sony implemented a Silent mode feature on the C3? The NEX5's 'shutter' is really loud and attracts unnecessary attention. No idea why a mirrorless system would be THAT loud ;p

Which reminds me - has Sony implemented a Silent mode feature on the C3? The NEX5's 'shutter' is really loud and attracts unnecessary attention. No idea why a mirrorless system would be THAT loud ;p

Are you trying to do something funny with your 'slienced' camera??? :think::bsmilie:

Unlikely to have silent-mode as long as the cam have a shutter. It's mirrorless, not shutterless :D
See demo here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sPRHVY8790

Just got this tonight to use with my Pentax K mount lenses with an adapter. Manual focussing is a simple matter with its "peaking" function. Some samples are below. Sorry no pictures with the Sony E lenses as they are still in the box. May not use them as manual focussing is a snap on this and I generally am always on aperture priority, but my daughter might use the E lenses if she uses the C3 as a P&S. Here is what it looks like (taken with iPhone) with the Pentax FA31 F1.8 attached:

5939950225_d629b53975_b.jpg

I've only had it for a few hours and went out to dinner so here are a couple of shots. The first two of the clock are at F1.8 and F16. I forgot what the aperture for the two food ones are. I think F8. Low light performance is a match for my K5.

5940481174_698bfd6fc2_b.jpg

5939929545_5062c77b11_b.jpg

5940488250_a1e1c218df_b.jpg

5940491024_48fab2b8d5_b.jpg

A few daytime shots

5942196318_f7979cffa9_b.jpg

5942192460_6480b12bf2_b.jpg

5942194126_4373a1f037_b.jpg

5941647835_134da738b1_b.jpg

any idea when to use the 18mm and 16mm lens? like for macro, portrait, landscape?

any idea when to use the 18mm and 16mm lens? like for macro, portrait, landscape?

huh? Do you mean the 18-55mm lens?

Macro: both oso can, but usually longer focal lengths are preferred. That's why there's a E-mount macro lens.
Portrait: both oso can, but the 18-55 at 55mm, or the 18-200 at 100+mm may be better.
Landscape: both oso can.

EXACTLY ! ...That was my point when I said " the lines have been blurred between what is a DSLR and a PnS" :bsmilie:

Anyone tried explaining what a DSLT is to a non camera person ? ;)

Last edited: