Sony A55 & A33 DSLR Camera Not Suited For Tropical Climates

I think he mention about this issue: click
But hell, why using beginner's model to do professional work (although I must agree this beginner model on par others cam advanced model)

My friend's advanced model C 5dmk2(?) got the overheat issue during video(ing). I think he never passed 1 min (as he said)

Studio shoots never equate to professional work. Sometimes one may just want to attend some studio photoshoots. or family portraits in the studio...

There are always work arounds, for the video overheating in all DSLR/DSLT. Else how the hell did Royston Tan shot his " Old Places of Singapore" entirely on a 5DMII ? And other production house..

I think he mention about this issue: click
But hell, why using beginner's model to do professional work (although I must agree this beginner model on par others cam advanced model)

My friend's advanced model C 5dmk2(?) got the overheat issue during video(ing). I think he never passed 1 min (as he said)

You are right, when i was shooting in a studio last week, i wanted to try the Sony A55 out(lucky got my 5D with me), set to ISO 100, F8, 1/125 shutter, screen was all black, i thought the lens cap was still on, but realized that the camera was not able to detect that we are shooting in studio with M mode, only showing the result of using the available light at the settings i used. If you want to brighten up the screen you will need to pop up the onboard flash but you will throw a direct light onto your subject which you may not want.

Some people told me to tape the onboard flash but i think this is not the way to do it, so hope Sony can solve it with a firmware update.

You are right, when i was shooting in a studio last week, i wanted to try the Sony A55 out(lucky got my 5D with me), set to ISO 100, F8, 1/125 shutter, screen was all black, i thought the lens cap was still on, but realized that the camera was not able to detect that we are shooting in studio with M mode, only showing the result of using the available light at the settings i used. If you want to brighten up the screen you will need to pop up the onboard flash but you will throw a direct light onto your subject which you may not want.

Some people told me to tape the onboard flash but i think this is not the way to do it, so hope Sony can solve it with a firmware update.

yeah read it and it's a hge issue but I think this could be fixed by firmware since it just need to tell the camrea hey, I have a flash connected could you boost the live view?? tis should be similar to shooting in a dark place/area where the system will boost the LV and EVF so you'll see that you shooting.

I have not experience it nor I have hotshoe flash yet but I think it's an issue Sony need to fix ASAP.

I am not sure if this is larger size sensor issue.

i used my GF1 in a couple of occassions, never had overheating problem.
So, it should not be a mirrorless problem.

covering my child birthday party, shooting pics, videos, leave the camera on, part indoor part outdoor. also used it in my child's classmate bday party.

Also went to zoo twice. shoot lots of pictures, video the animal shows.
Again, no overheating.

covering my child birthday party, shooting pics, videos, leave the camera on, part indoor part outdoor. also used it in my child's classmate bday party.

Again, no overheating.

Good to hear this....

continiously shooting via EVF and OVF even at room temperature I think DSLT and other mirrorless will have over heating issue coz they are using the sensor and/or ovf sensor always... not like the DSLR when you shot shooting the sensor has time to rest or when you're composing via OVF.. but if you do you compositio via live view now you're on the same boat with mirrorless and DSLT

this has nothing to do with mirrorless, EVF or OVF.

Remember, Nikon D90 and D5000 can only shoot 5mins of HD video before their sensor overheats and they are using OVF, whereas A33/55 can shoot 29mins (comparing non IS, since the Nikon bodies are non IS as well). So this proofs that OVF doesnt neccessary means the sensor has less heat, as the Nikon bodies has showned us.

Always remember guys. Whenever anyone wants to comment abt A33/55 overheating in video mode, please direct them to the Nikon DSLRs 1st. At least the A33/55 are nearly SIX TIMES more heat tolerant in this aspect (29mins vs Nikon's 5mins).

PS: I dont think any DSLR can shoot video mode for more than 30mins. Before the A33/55 was released, Canon 550D has the longest recording time, at 29mins. So the A33/55 are ON PAR/TIED with the 550D as the longest recording HD video. So since its tied at 1st place, whats there to worry about?

The Canon pro and semi pro DSLRs like 5D mkII and 7D can only record 12mins. Not only does the A33/55, an entry level DSLR, records longer than the semipro and pro bodies of Canon, the A33/55 has phase detection super fast AF recording as well. It totally pwns the 5D and 7D in video recording mode.

Think about it.

Last edited:

Remember, Nikon D90 and D5000 can only shoot 5mins of HD video before their sensor overheats and they are using OVF, whereas A33/55 can shoot 29mins (comparing non IS, since the Nikon bodies are non IS as well). So this proofs that OVF doesnt neccessary means the sensor has less heat, as the Nikon bodies has showned us.

Always remember guys. Whenever anyone wants to comment abt A33/55 overheating in video mode, please direct them to the Nikon DSLRs 1st. At least the A33/55 are nearly SIX TIMES more heat tolerant in this aspect (29mins vs Nikon's 5mins).

PS: I dont think any DSLR can shoot video mode for more than 30mins. Before the A33/55 was released, Canon 550D has the longest recording time, at 29mins. So the A33/55 are ON PAR/TIED with the 550D as the longest recording HD video. So since its tied at 1st place, whats there to worry about?

The Canon pro and semi pro DSLRs like 5D mkII and 7D can only record 12mins. Not only does the A33/55, an entry level DSLR, records longer than the semipro and pro bodies of Canon, the A33/55 has phase detection super fast AF recording as well. It totally pwns the 5D and 7D in video recording mode.

Think about it.

YEP ! Agree with you.

This topic should not be under Sony thread but under General thread as this issue concerns all DSLR/SLT/SLD.

I guess I learn now that cameras are not practical to take videos longer than 30 minutes and cannot replace camcorders.

I wonder how the camcorders handle this heat problem.
Perhaps they can solve this camera problem in the future like the camcorders.

:cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:

Again, no overheating.

Yes i owned the gf1 before.

Probably these are reasons why overheats does not happen for gf1.
- the sensor is 1.5 times smaller than apsc
- it does not have sensor stabiliser
- gf1 body is made of metal (can transmit and release heat easier)
- there is no mirror in front of thr sensor to block it.

These are what i can think of. Maybe the real reason is panasonic has a more energy efficient sensor which we all don't know.

Yes i owned the gf1 before.

Probably these are reasons why overheats does not happen for gf1.
- the sensor is 1.5 times smaller than apsc
- it does not have sensor stabiliser
- gf1 body is made of metal (can transmit and release heat easier)
- there is no mirror in front of thr sensor to block it.

These are what i can think of. Maybe the real reason is panasonic has a more energy efficient sensor which we all don't know.

I have epl1 before and I did encounter warning of possible over heating so it could be the IBIS

Think about it.

Bro I own A33 and E620 and previously owned epl11 and so far I encounter the warning sign of over heating to both A33 and epl1 so I suspect it has something to do with how the system utilizes the sensor. In DSLR we normally use OVF rather than live view. And also I was stating that my experience was not taking video but just plain shooting photos. My comment was not pointed out to video but more the possible reason why those dslr never encounter over heating when just plain taking photo. Like one of our bro here using his nex while taking photos and experience over heating, also same to my experience using A33 and EPL1 my experience.

Hope you won't take my statement out of the context of the topic I'd mentioned :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Maybe some of us just got much warmer hands and trap the heat in.:bsmilie:

Maybe some of us just got much warmer hands and trap the heat in.:bsmilie:

hehehe also black color and/or metal body to conduct heat more than white or lighter colors

Wow, is lucky I didn't dive into this cam.:D Still using my GF 1 that doesn't give me all this problems.Especially in our tropical climate,it is really thumb down for this slt Sony.They need to improve further for this matter in order to win back their supporters, hope they do not sit on it as the other A mount had face.:(

Wow, is lucky I didn't dive into this cam.:D Still using my GF 1 that doesn't give me all this problems.Especially in our tropical climate,it is really thumb down for this slt Sony.They need to improve further for this matter in order to win back their supporters, hope they do not sit on it as the other A mount had face.:(

If u shoot videos often, you will be well served by videocams or cameras with smaller sensors.

All vdslr at present has overheat problems. So you should say all manufacturers should do something. Of course you are also right to say Sony should be one of the first to solve the issues since many others are getting the sensors from them.

Hahaha another Slt camera for Sony supporter to digest.Really cannot imagine the a 33 cannot support the studio shoot.:confused:

Technically if you use video mode yes it's prone to over heating this is the same as other DSLR out there as stated in this thread and the other thread...

I've had a photo session during my daugther BBQ birthday party it started around 4PM still fairly hot I have my cam on till 1st battery went flat and have not encountered over heating and occationally taking video like 5mins in lenght never had the over heating issue. I once enoucnter it when I was outside during lunch time and it's birght and sunny and I was shooting like non stop for 30 mins before I saw the warning. Also have EPL1 which is m4/3 I was using during lunch time and kept it on all the time when I saw the over heating warning sign.

To me it's no biggie of an issue I never so far had a bad experience that my cam stop funtioning and miss some shots. :)

Last edited:
Hahaha another Slt camera for Sony supporter to digest.Really cannot imagine the a 33 cannot support the studio shoot.:confused:

oh this is a major issue indeed and hope the next firware release this could be fixed... anyways this is just boosting the EVF or live view similar to when shooting to almost totally dark area where the system will boost the EVF and Live. So I think it could be fixed via software.

Hi, Those ppl use external LCD mounted on the hot shoe, ext mic. etc drawing away heat from the camera body but the battery power sucks.

I would say A55 and maybe the A33 is not suited for studio shooting.

True. Unless Sony Releases a fix to turn off the Tru Finder. :) But then again, A33,A55 has no PC-Sync port because the marketing people are targeting this cam to be a high speed shooting machine, and they think you don't need this in the studio.

... they probably won't fix that unless a huge bunch of people are intending to "machine gun" at 6-10fps with studio lights... and not a lot of studio lights can do that unless you're talking about Profoto... :sweat: