Something Big is happening....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if SPH has any info on the number of clone and ghost accounts in HWZ.
I can guarantee u that there are a number of lurker accounts with at least 1 of them already known to the community - Oo Gin Lee (his nick: ooginlee).

There are only 3 HWZ Clinics that I frequent: Software, Hardware and MarketPlace Classified/Garage Sales. I am *keeping my fingers crossed*, hoping that the new owners will leave the MC/GS as is. That is, none of those stupidness that its former owner did (i.e. experimenting with Computer Garage), and the forced Deluxe Membership promotion (i.e. How many users do you think signed up for that just because of that darn, dreaded "Server is busy"). :think:
They closed down Marketplace earlier and reopened another in collaboration with eBay, din they? :dunno:

To sum it up, I hope that SPH is well aware that what makes HWZ successful is its vibrant community ( with special mention to EDMW :sweat: ). Hope SPH won't "marginalize" them.

We'll see.

:Later,
Well, marginalising the community is one thing. But there had been little skirmishes between the members as well as the moderators/admins with regards to forum postings. Remember, HWZ is a corporate entity. If there's anything, HWZ gets the brunt of it (their reputation primarily) that's why apparently there are some zealous mods and admins to subtlely clamp down on certain discussions.

The new forums basically is an uncorporatised entity.

Good luck! My prediction, nothing happenning for a while, and then suddenly, wham, all down the drain, you will be paying for this, paying for that, paying through your nose for nothing much in return.

Then one dayl, a bunch of enthusiastics, tired of SPH and the new HWZ, will start a new one ...
Probably it wun come as it is, *wham bam* speed.
It would probably be implemented in 'small steps' to 'ease the transitions'.

First, u'll get them promoting the DWmember thing aggressively, den members will need to 'subscribe for free', den it will slowly go onto paid membership.

Everything will ease so smoothly that probably no one would notice it.

i like figures

may be sph buy over clubsnap , clubsnap owner issue a 1 time member fee reward of SGD 280.00 to members with more than 1 year in clubsnap.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, i can buy my flash already

It's a good move by SPH since they are quite lagging in web publication arena.....HWZ will provide them a good platform to diversify....on top of that...there are a few publications under HWZ umbrella and I counted I bough almost 3 of them monthly....while I only occasionally buy SPH's Sin Min Wan Bao...so SPH will be getting more moolah from me now if the std of the magazines maintained :sweat:

i like figures

may be sph buy over clubsnap , clubsnap owner issue a 1 time member fee reward of SGD 280.00 to members with more than 1 year in clubsnap.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, i can buy my flash already
Good idea! LOL. :bsmilie:

And those who have been to CS since Day one should get twice the amount. :think:

Lucky me!!! :bsmilie:

if they start charging membership fee etc etc, i wonder will we get a bigger "package" before e-time to help ease the raising cost?

Anyone has any idea the ball park figure for Straits Times Online subscriptions ? I think SPH ought to have learnt some from that exercise to give better benefits for membership, should they start charging.

HWZ had the iPhoto or PhotoI whatever it is, spinoff. I know some may not really think much of that but they do have some following. Given SPH's position, some budget and a bit of clever marketing, we might see something worthwhile coming out from there.

Then, there's also Digital Life...

good for the hwz owners lor....in fact, CS evolved from hwz also....CS was created thanks to HWZ for charging....hahaha

:)

Not in the works. Confirmed already. Google wasted no toilet paper to purchase YouTube. How's that?

I can guarantee u that there are a number of lurker accounts with at least 1 of them already known to the community - Oo Gin Lee (his nick: ooginlee).

They closed down Marketplace earlier and reopened another in collaboration with eBay, din they? :dunno:

Well, marginalising the community is one thing. But there had been little skirmishes between the members as well as the moderators/admins with regards to forum postings. Remember, HWZ is a corporate entity. If there's anything, HWZ gets the brunt of it (their reputation primarily) that's why apparently there are some zealous mods and admins to subtlely clamp down on certain discussions.

The new forums basically is an uncorporatised entity.

Seriously, I don't see any difference between the old and new CG. :dunno:

& is subtlely a right word to use? Our light sabre-wielding mod seems to be over-zealous at times.

Anyway I believe that there are bound to be changes made to that place and like what jsbn said, it'd be so gradual that it wouldn't be noticeacble.

The lightsaber wielding mod eh? :bsmilie:

Well, did had a couple of exchanges with him in person. His actions, whilst it does seem over-zealous with that Abloy lock on threads, especially those pertaining to political discussions are not without his reasons as well.

Its just that since he's one of the more active mods posting around, it would seem that he's being over-zealous.

If anything, our Jedi friend knows very well what he's doing and for reasons which is useless to even say to people of high ideals and overly idealistic people (which would end up with ppl twisting logic to fuel their own arguments), he can't be bothered. So to end the story once and for all. Lock and ultimate ban for troublemakers and cloners.

When a big boy plays with that toy, i hope he can hand hold it well. A controlled environment loses vibrancy and appeal. Let's hope its for the better anyway. Perhaps it's a small way to pump money into the society to liven consumer spending power.
Seems that there have been alot of free money fallen off haven this year.

*suggested names for Clubsnap if bought over by some government-linked companies*

:bsmilie:

P-A-P : Passion & Photography

Good luck! My prediction, nothing happenning for a while, and then suddenly, wham, all down the drain, you will be paying for this, paying for that, paying through your nose for nothing much in return.

Then one dayl, a bunch of enthusiastics, tired of SPH and the new HWZ, will start a new one ...
there's always VRforums.

Status
Not open for further replies.