Some photos form Sentosa Flower Festival 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it due to my monitor? All your pics are abit under from here :think:

Nice composition though ...

how do we tell if a pic is under exposed or due to monitor?

Nice shots, livetofly, especially like the last two :thumbsup: Did you shoot all these w/ the kit lens?

Thanks for sharing these. Pity I couldn't make the trip to see the flowers on the last day. W/ two little kids around, I can't plan anything at all for weekends :(

how do we tell if a pic is under exposed or due to monitor?

Each monitor has a profile (of color/brightness/contrast and etc), and most software would use this profile to adjust color/brightness/contrast and etc. If your monitor is not properply calibrated, what you see on your monitor might not be the same w/ what others see from their monitors.

It's better to do some calibration w/ your monitor once in a while, so you'd have correct color and brightness settings :)

Nice shots, livetofly, especially like the last two :thumbsup: Did you shoot all these w/ the kit lens?

Thanks for sharing these. Pity I couldn't make the trip to see the flowers on the last day. W/ two little kids around, I can't plan anything at all for weekends :(

Thanks for your praise, fengwei. I have seen so many nice shots taken by you, all so impressive, long way for me to catch up.

Yeah, all the shots are taken with the 18-55mm kit lens, this and the 55-200mm lens are all what i have.....

Currently, i am looking for 540 flash and the LE lens or 50/F1.4 lens. Any recommendations?

Was quite "afraid" to share after seeing these nice compositions from all in this thread.

But what the heck...

Here's mine... http://picasaweb.google.com/bernard.yeo/FlowerFestivalSentosa24Feb2007

;p

All these are taken with the Pentax FA 24-90mm. None of the pictures are sharpened by software. My gut feel is I have got myself a really good lens. :lovegrin:

Was quite "afraid" to share after seeing these nice compositions from all in this thread.

But what the heck...

Here's mine... http://picasaweb.google.com/bernard.yeo/FlowerFestivalSentosa24Feb2007

;p

All these are taken with the Pentax FA 24-90mm. None of the pictures are sharpened by software. My gut feel is I have got myself a really good lens. :lovegrin:

IMGP4369.JPG

i like this one, clean foreground and nice bokeh.

did you apply sharpening to the first few flower pics? looks a bit too sharp on my end....or could it be that the lens is really so fantastic. :)

Thanks for your praise, fengwei. I have seen so many nice shots taken by you, all so impressive, long way for me to catch up.

Yeah, all the shots are taken with the 18-55mm kit lens, this and the 55-200mm lens are all what i have.....

Currently, i am looking for 540 flash and the LE lens or 50/F1.4 lens. Any recommendations?

Those flower photos are indeed very nice. Pity you didn't use the 50-200 lens at the Show. It's a great lens for shooting flowers too.

Heard the 540 flash is out of stock here in SG, it's a better one than the 360 flash. I bought mine last Nov, quite like it. For your first prime lens, I think a 50/1.7 or 1.4 would be very good choice, especially an auto focus one :)

Good luck!

But what the heck...

;p

Very nice indeed. Glad to see the lens in well use ;) Cheers!

did you apply sharpening to the first few flower pics? looks a bit too sharp on my end....or could it be that the lens is really so fantastic. :)

I am serious, usually I had to do some form of sharpening due to my amateurish photo handling (with my kit and previously with my previous Sigma 24-135mm). Don't get my wrong, these lens are great for their specific uses and purpose, it's usually the one taking it (me) who spoils the pix. ... That's why I was so shock when I saw the photos on my PC with this lens! :lovegrin:

Just look at pix 6, I only did an auto color to make the white balance right ... ;)

Lots of inspirations from all of you and those macro shots in the macro discussion. I am inspired! kekeke

Saw so many nice flower shots, made me even regret that I couldn't make a trip over this year.

Well, here are some photos I took at last year's Flower Festival:

IMGP8756_small.jpg

IMGP8607_small.jpg

IMGP8986_small.jpg

IMGP8641_small.jpg

IMGP8685_small.jpg

Some more here:

IMGP8691_small.jpg

IMGP8692_small.jpg

IMGP8724_small.jpg

IMGP8715_small.jpg

IMGP8612_small.jpg

All shots were taken by Pentax *istDs and one of the three lenses: DA 16-45/4, DFA100/2.8 macro and FA*200/2.8.

Hope you like them.

Cheers!

Some more here:

All shots were taken by Pentax *istDs and one of the three lenses: DA 16-45/4, DFA100/2.8 macro and FA*200/2.8.
Hope you like them.

Cheers!

wow, feng wei...tack sharp as usual. care to share what setting you used in silky pix to process the raw images? I can't seem to be able to take images that show the subtle detailsand shadows in the flowers...
thanks!

wow, feng wei...tack sharp as usual. care to share what setting you used in silky pix to process the raw images? I can't seem to be able to take images that show the subtle detailsand shadows in the flowers...
thanks!

My RAW processing is quite simple:
load in Silkypix
crop to my like
adjust exposure to a proper value
AWB, then fine tune WB to my like
leave contrast and sharpness to default (no sharpening, no increase of contrast)
test some profiles and see if they work, most time they don't then I just cancel it
test some color preset (mostly portrait colors) and see if they work
develop and save to jpg in 100% quality, or TIFF if I wanna have more to play in CS2
load the developed jpg/TIFF in CS2 and do further processing there (adjust level/color/curve, resize, USM, add signature and save to jpg).

Normally each pic will take less than a minute if it's properly exposed and composed. I don't do much post processing actually, just some simple ones.

I know many here do their PPing differently. You can do some experiment and just stick to whichever works the best for you :)

Cheers!

wow! Fengwei's flowers are really really nice !:lovegrin:

My RAW processing is quite simple:
load in Silkypix
crop to my like
adjust exposure to a proper value
AWB, then fine tune WB to my like
leave contrast and sharpness to default (no sharpening, no increase of contrast)
test some profiles and see if they work, most time they don't then I just cancel it
test some color preset (mostly portrait colors) and see if they work
develop and save to jpg in 100% quality, or TIFF if I wanna have more to play in CS2
load the developed jpg/TIFF in CS2 and do further processing there (adjust level/color/curve, resize, USM, add signature and save to jpg).

Normally each pic will take less than a minute if it's properly exposed and composed. I don't do much post processing actually, just some simple ones.

I know many here do their PPing differently. You can do some experiment and just stick to whichever works the best for you :)

Cheers!

Hi fengwei,
So silkypix alone is not enough? I still need to further adjust using CS2?
No wonder all my silkypix efforts have not been good.

For comparison, is it ok to upload the raw photo you took saved directly into jpeg without processing? That way we can see the difference before and after processing.
If your raw images are similar to mine, then I'd better brush up on my post-processing.
If your raw image is better than my processed ones, then time to sell off all my camera gear and hire you to take photos for me instead! ....;)

ps..looking at your CS adjustments, I think any other photo processing software will do?
What is USM?

Thanks in advance...!

Hi fengwei,
So silkypix alone is not enough? I still need to further adjust using CS2?
No wonder all my silkypix efforts have not been good.

For comparison, is it ok to upload the raw photo you took saved directly into jpeg without processing? That way we can see the difference before and after processing.
If your raw images are similar to mine, then I'd better brush up on my post-processing.
If your raw image is better than my processed ones, then time to sell off all my camera gear and hire you to take photos for me instead! ....;)

ps..looking at your CS adjustments, I think any other photo processing software will do?
What is USM?

Thanks in advance...!

Silkpix is basically just a RAW converter, it doesn't have many editing tools. CS is alot better in this aspect. If you don't have CS, the Adobe Photoshop Element is quite good too. And I'm sure there are plenty of other photo editing software available.

USM is a sharpening tool in CS. It might be called something else in other software.

As to RAW files, maybe you can upload some, and I'll process them for you so you can see if they work better. Basically a good photo can still be further enhanced by post processing, but a bad photos is quite hard to be saved even by post processing.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.