Some enquries on DSLR

The seller smoked you pretty well. In real life, on your PC, you would not be able to tell the difference between the 550D and the D5000.

i think so too. lolx. but i compare the picture i took using nikon d3000 and canon 550d, canon ones is better. then somemore i think nikon kind of hard to operate. lolx.

salesman will say anything to smoke customers to get them to buy the product they are selling.

I once overheard a Canon salesman telling this lady about the functions of a 550D, and he told her that only Canon has live view...

I had my Sony A550 in my bag at that time, I almost wanted to take it out and show the lady the live view from A550 and tell her the salesman is talking crap...

reali? i think you should show the lady, stun the saleman. hahax. but any way what is live view?

I think is the display screen of the 550d. I see my friend one, take any picture also so chio! Then go back home post online the pic look the same as what any other camera captured.

hmm... ya lor. i sometime also see from my digital camera screen look nice but when i post it on my computer, the picture came out to me blur. lolx.

i think so too. lolx. but i compare the picture i took using nikon d3000 and canon 550d, canon ones is better. then somemore i think nikon kind of hard to operate. lolx.

reali? i think you should show the lady, stun the saleman. hahax. but any way what is live view?

hmm... ya lor. i sometime also see from my digital camera screen look nice but when i post it on my computer, the picture came out to me blur. lolx.

My dad has a Nikon D3000. THe LCD screen is not very good so the pictures don't look nice on the screen. But on the PC is ok. As for the 550D, I think the LCD screen res is 921K, like Sony A550, so the picture sure look very nice compared to lower res LCD in other models which is only 230K. Basicially you can't judge the picture by the way it looks on the LCD.

All dSLR can give you good pics. It is whether you have the interest and patience to learn how to take good pictures. And you will eventually get used to the handling of which ever brand you choose. I think the deal breakers (at least for amatuers) if you are serious about venturing into DSLR is as follows.

1. Canon and Nikon has the largest user base, largest range of OEM lens and also easier to find 3 party lens the are made for Canon and Nikon. But for the same spec these two are the most popular and hence the most expensive. Or for the same budget, other brands can give you better specs.

2. Sony, Pentax, Oly has in built stabilizer and inbuilt autofocus motor even for entry level models so equivalent lens tends to be cheaper as there is no need for the autofocus motor and stabilizer to be built into the lens.

I don't think the concern should be about which camera can give you better quality pictures. Its the photographer that matters.

i just went down to megatex at expo hall 5b yesterday and tried out the nikon d3000 and d5000 and canon 550d, de image capture by canon 550d is freaking brilliant. and to me what i had tried, canon seem to me more easy to operate rather than nikon. i intend to tried canon 1000d and 500d, but their 1000d spoilt and 500d ran out of battery. but what the seller said about 1000d is that this camera is for primary and secondary school kid. while he said 550d is for beginner. lolx. but to me 550d is kind of ex. damn sad. :cry:

Haha...you kerna bluff left right centre lol.:bsmilie:

Haha...you kerna bluff left right centre lol.:bsmilie:

which one is the left? 1000d for primary blah blah..

which one is the right? 550d for beginner blah blah..

which one is the center?? :dunno:

It's about personal preferences. If you know that you want to adjust Aperture in Aperture mode then what's left is how intuitive the camera let's you do this. Factors here can be: amount of steps, buttons to press, dials to turn, need to look at display etc. Or if you suddenly want to change ISO, change metering mode .. how quickly is it done? Can you do this without taking down the cam from eye?
I had a Canon PnS before I got my Canon DSLR, so for me the menu on DSLR was quite similar / familiar, no big change.
Comparing pictures at camera LCD during such shows is silly nonsense. Neither the display is halfway accurate nor are the cameras set to neutral jpg rendering. Together with funky light conditions where many cameras will have their struggles for White Balance) the outcome rather like lotto.
Accurate comparisons of image quality can be found on [B]www.dpreview.com[/B] and other websites. Sales men should be ignored at all times during such shows. Mostly hired guys with crash course briefing about how to hold the camera, list of freebies and how to process payments. That's it.

yup i think the seniors are giving great advice.. maybe if you want you can research more and wait lor, no rush can wait..

yup! agreed on that.. even if D3100 cost more then $1000, i believed the launch will impact other camera's prices to drop.

So at that moment, probably you can get a better kit at a more affordable price.:)

really? i thought their price would be discounted? cus i purchase my digital camera at a discounted price at comex fair last year.

Buy PnS camera in fairs, can consider.
Buy Dslr in fairs, BIG NO NO..

really? i thought their price would be discounted? cus i purchase my digital camera at a discounted price at comex fair last year.

Discounted compared to RRP. Discounted compared to outside shops? Almost never.

You are lucky you've found CS before you went to plonk down for a DSLR at the fair! The seniors advices here are very sound - RRP is just a gauge (think of it as the highest price index you're paying for)... If you do your homework for pricing, you could be saving 30-40% off the RRP outside. The pricing of DSLRs at the fair are pretty gimmicky (free wonky tripod? oh sure!) Think of the number of poor souls who paid extras at the fairs!....

Last edited:
which one is the left? 1000d for primary blah blah..

which one is the right? 550d for beginner blah blah..

which one is the center?? :dunno:

lolx. i guess i'm kena smoked left right center indeed. :cry:

It's about personal preferences. If you know that you want to adjust Aperture in Aperture mode then what's left is how intuitive the camera let's you do this. Factors here can be: amount of steps, buttons to press, dials to turn, need to look at display etc. Or if you suddenly want to change ISO, change metering mode .. how quickly is it done? Can you do this without taking down the cam from eye?
I had a Canon PnS before I got my Canon DSLR, so for me the menu on DSLR was quite similar / familiar, no big change.
Comparing pictures at camera LCD during such shows is silly nonsense. Neither the display is halfway accurate nor are the cameras set to neutral jpg rendering. Together with funky light conditions where many cameras will have their struggles for White Balance) the outcome rather like lotto.
Accurate comparisons of image quality can be found on [B]www.dpreview.com[/B] and other websites. Sales men should be ignored at all times during such shows. Mostly hired guys with crash course briefing about how to hold the camera, list of freebies and how to process payments. That's it.

hmm... icic. guess i need to try out nikon d3000 again, as for canon 1000d, it don't have any videoing, so i guess that' out for my selection.

yup! agreed on that.. even if D3100 cost more then $1000, i believed the launch will impact other camera's prices to drop.

So at that moment, probably you can get a better kit at a more affordable price.:)

hmm... since you said bro, guess i gonna wait. hope it true, so i can get it at much cheaper rate. hahax.

Buy PnS camera in fairs, can consider.
Buy Dslr in fairs, BIG NO NO..

ic. thanks your pro for guiding me or else i would be a dummy that got smoke big time. your guys are great. :)

You are lucky you've found CS before you went to plonk down for a DSLR at the fair! The seniors advices here are very sound - RRP is just a gauge (think of it as the highest price index you're paying for)... If you do your homework for pricing, you could be saving 30-40% off the RRP outside. The pricing of DSLRs at the fair are pretty gimmicky (free wonky tripod? oh sure!) Think of the number of poor souls who paid extras at the fairs!....

yes. i'm lucky and i'm fortunate to have your wonderful guys help. really thanks so much. :thumbsup:

yesterday went down to marina barrage and saw pretty lots of photographers with their powerful and expensive (i guess) camera shooting the view at there. see them carry such nice camera, it's a temptation to me, but then, i not born in a rich family. but if gonna buy them i guess i need another 1 year of saving, but then again, i can't wait for that long. lolx. sad man.

yesterday went down to marina barrage and saw pretty lots of photographers with their powerful and expensive (i guess) camera shooting the view at there. see them carry such nice camera, it's a temptation to me, but then, i not born in a rich family. but if gonna buy them i guess i need another 1 year of saving, but then again, i can't wait for that long. lolx. sad man.

Don't worry about the size or price of the cameras other people are using. Worry more about the quality of the pictures you will be producing.
;)

Think of the number of poor souls who paid extras at the fairs!....

there will be plenty more poor souls after Comex 2010...

just wait and see, sure got some new threads.. i bought this at this $ is it worth it???

there will be plenty more poor souls after Comex 2010...

just wait and see, sure got some new threads.. i bought this at this $ is it worth it???

Yup... It's like "Oh...not again!..." Year after year, shows after shows... :bsmilie:

Vicious cycles in this great crazy world of ours...

Yup... It's like "Oh...not again!..." Year after year, shows after shows... :bsmilie:

Vicious cycles in this great crazy world of ours...

ya actually i oso dunno why, got so many thousand people with DSLRs and in this forum, won't the others have heard from a fren or relative where to buy and where not to buy camera??

still go people in SIMLIM or lucky plaza...

ya actually i oso dunno why, got so many thousand people with DSLRs and in this forum, won't the others have heard from a fren or relative where to buy and where not to buy camera??

still go people in SIMLIM or lucky plaza...

But in Singapore, we've got Millions of people... Sure have enough suckers to get sucked in by the gimmicky deals... Never say never... Never heard of the saying "there is a sucker born every minute"? That said, there are lot out there who aren't apt with internet searches, or quite an introvert when it comes to their own lives... who'd know they would like to get into this hobby? You can't just walk down the street and tell everyone where not to buy right? That is simply insane... lolz And then if you try to tell someone they shouldn't go to SL or Lucky, some may think you're trying to show off your knowledge...

Last edited:
But in Singapore, we've got Millions of people... Sure have enough suckers to get sucked in by the gimmicky deals... Never say never... Never heard of the saying "there is a sucker born every minute"? That said, there are lot out there who aren't apt with internet searches, or quite an introvert when it comes to their own lives... who'd know they would like to get into this hobby? You can't just walk down the street and tell everyone where not to buy right? That is simply insane... lolz And then if you try to tell someone they shouldn't go to SL or Lucky, some may think you're trying to show off your knowledge...

true~!

Honestly speaking, if you have to ask those questions, you shouldn't buy a DSLR since you wouldn't know what to do with it.
Go get one of those prosumer models with auto exposure or shutter modes, and if you find that you like taking pictures in those modes instead of the preprogrammed modes, then you could consider a DSLR.

Honestly speaking, if you have to ask those questions, you shouldn't buy a DSLR since you wouldn't know what to do with it.
Go get one of those prosumer models with auto exposure or shutter modes, and if you find that you like taking pictures in those modes instead of the preprogrammed modes, then you could consider a DSLR.

hi bro, could you intro me some of the prosumer model as you mentioned? thanks.

hmm.. just wondering is there such thing as degree or diploma in photography? hahax.