Small DSLR or a Superzoom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For prosumer, I am thinking of the Panasonic FZ18 or the Fujifilm S100SF (as recommended). Any others? I once had the Canon S1IS, but din quite like it. Hopefully these two will feel different.

Actually I am not sure if I will pick up photography as a hobby in the future. I sure like taking photos, and looking at beautiful photos, but I am not sure whether I will bring out my 2-3 kg camera assemble every weekend to take photos. I am more of a holiday photographer, but i want quality photos, especially of nature, mountains and valleys. I am not the "lets get everybody in the centre of the frame and snap a photo with the scenery behind" kind :p I compose and think about my photo before opening the shutter.

If you don't think you want the weight and might not pick up photography now. Consider getting the cheapest compact for your trip. Its enough to get the shots you need. Since you compose your shots, any camera can do it for you. I bought my Nikon Coolpix L14 because its the cheapest and its real light, fits in my pocket and my little 3 yr old girl can take fantastic photos with it. Visit my website to check out the photos if you don't believe me. Of course, I still prefer my D50 for its flexibility and I don't mind the weight.

Once you decide to take up photography, then get the DSLR, as technology changes so quickly, its no point buying until you really need it.

For a "Travel Camera", I would recommend the Panasonic TZ15, it is small/light & offer a 10x Optical Zoom... :)

If ur main concern is weight go for prosumer or compact, an DSLR wif batteries and some acccessories can easily exceed 1kg even the small D40 or D60...
D60-495g (without battery, memory card or body cap) + 18-200mm VR (560g)
not much pt if u carry a DSLR with only 1 lens (unless it's the superzoom 18-200m or 18-250mm), u are better off with a prosumer in my opinion.
Compacts i think are a no-no cos u are gg to mountains, a prosumer looks more rugged, compacts looks abit fragile, not sure if they can survive the temp and the altitude...:angel:

maybe you could try an FZ8 but it widest is only 35mm.
but it should have colour contrast less fringing than the 28mm of FZ18.
remember to keep ISO value to the lowest possible to avoid colour/shadow noise in dark areas.
besides is light as well should be able to withstand lowest temperature to at least -10 degrees.
and carry a spare batt just in case.

if panasonic noise issue is a problem for you, try looking for fuji 6500fd or F31fd(cant find 1st hand anymore) since they have better noise proformance than other brands.

maybe you could try an FZ8 but it widest is only 35mm.
but it should have colour contrast less fringing than the 28mm of FZ18.
remember to keep ISO value to the lowest possible to avoid colour/shadow noise in dark areas.
besides is light as well should be able to withstand lowest temperature to at least -10 degrees.
and carry a spare batt just in case.

if panasonic noise issue is a problem for you, try looking for fuji 6500fd or F31fd(cant find 1st hand anymore) since they have better noise proformance than other brands.

I think Fuji Cameras are value for $$ :thumbsup: compared with other brands like canon, at least for now

i thought of getting a 450D and keeping my FZ18 as a complement camera for shots i require zooming but was surfing around and saw this tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC

u guys think its a good idea to replace my fz18 with this lens instead?

i thought of getting a 450D and keeping my FZ18 as a complement camera for shots i require zooming but was surfing around and saw this tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC

u guys think its a good idea to replace my fz18 with this lens instead?

u lose the wide angle. cos 28mm x Canon 1.6 crop factor = 44.8mm (35mm equivalent). unless u dun mind or u may need to buy a wide angle lens to cover that aspect.

The trouble with getting a super zoom lens for an SLR or an SLR-like camera is that it's a compromise. If it wasn't a compromise, the lens would be huge and heavy. Since most people don't want that, you get reduced image quality and reduced low light capabilities.

I'd suggest a smaller range lens, 18-50mm perhaps, which would exhibit better characteristics and a smaller SLR. It would only be a mild telephoto at the long end but in getting great shots vs. ordinary shots, wouldn't you want the best for something you might not do again?

if u can wait for a super-duper zoom.. Nikon just release one with 18-300mm zoom thats 10.2m pixels..

if u can wait for a super-duper zoom.. Nikon just release one with 18-300mm zoom thats 10.2m pixels..

You mean the P80? It's 27-486mm.

Plus, 18x zoom is coming out from more and more manufacturers, with the expected problems... High distortion, poor sharpness especially at edges, CA, etc etc.

u lose the wide angle. cos 28mm x Canon 1.6 crop factor = 44.8mm (35mm equivalent). unless u dun mind or u may need to buy a wide angle lens to cover that aspect.

so by adding a 17-55 should be solve the problem right?

i have really enjoyed the zoom shots i am able to achieve with my current cam
so lets say if i switch to dslr, is it advisable stay with body + kit lens to learn first or
body + 28-300?

The trouble with getting a super zoom lens for an SLR or an SLR-like camera is that it's a compromise. If it wasn't a compromise, the lens would be huge and heavy. Since most people don't want that, you get reduced image quality and reduced low light capabilities.

I'd suggest a smaller range lens, 18-50mm perhaps, which would exhibit better characteristics and a smaller SLR. It would only be a mild telephoto at the long end but in getting great shots vs. ordinary shots, wouldn't you want the best for something you might not do again?
ahh... thanks
if thats the case i got to ask myself if i can live by the compromises

Status
Not open for further replies.