Sigma 50mm f1.4 - new batch = outstanding performer

Ah, that was a bad choice. I am on crop. Most likely getting a ff soon.
But why dun u get a 24L with this sigma lens and a 85L for portrait?

Haiz, it did cross my mind too, to keep the siggy and add a 24mm, but to be frank, the 24mm will most probably be left in the shelves for most of it's life. I ended up with the 35mm after renting it to shoot for a week, and was absolutely poisoned. :cool: Thus I made the decision to do the change. I can't justify having both as I only shoot as a hobby.

Once you get a FF, trust me, you will love the 50mm even more :)

Perhaps I will get 5dm2 later and a 16-35 with the siggy and 85L. 50mm most likely as my walkabout lens, 16-35 for landscape and 85mm for portrait shots. Still thinking if I shld get a 16-35 or 35L or 24L. Quite a hard choice haha.

Perhaps I will get 5dm2 later and a 16-35 with the siggy and 85L. 50mm most likely as my walkabout lens, 16-35 for landscape and 85mm for portrait shots. Still thinking if I shld get a 16-35 or 35L or 24L. Quite a hard choice haha.

Haha I can't advise on that cos I was in similar situation, deciding on lenses. All I can say is all 3 are good, but I will try to go all primes if I can :)

Just got this lens today and have try taking a few shot.. both shot at wide open.

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

For FF body is it ok to pair with the 50mm or should it pair with 85mm? I m hesitating should I buy the Sigma 50mm F1.4 or 85mm F1.4.....

Blackwolf said:
For FF body is it ok to pair with the 50mm or should it pair with 85mm? I m hesitating should I buy the Sigma 50mm F1.4 or 85mm F1.4.....

Both are great lens! However to me 85mm is more of a "specialty" lens for portraits. 50mm is more versatile cos it is wider. Most people who use primes is likely to choose either the 35 or the 50. Do go down to the shop and try. :)

Both are great lens! However to me 85mm is more of a "specialty" lens for portraits. 50mm is more versatile cos it is wider. Most people who use primes is likely to choose either the 35 or the 50. Do go down to the shop and try. :)

Thanks bro I will go and try it out hope there is no increase in price.

Blackwolf said:

Yeah do go and try it out and see if you like either.

If you are looking at BnS, do check it very thoroughly. Got one in BnS selling now with local warranty and selling for quite some time now but nobody want. Apparently got fungus so do check thoroughly.

Blackwolf said:

I favor the 85mm, but it's really a personal choice.

As mentioned earlier, just give them both a try to understand the difference and decide which is better for you.

Hi,

I am also interested in the 50mm F1.4
May I know what is the price of this lens now and where can I get it?

Thanks !!

hi,does a brand new sigma 50mm need to be calibrated?

724 from Slrr or 730 from MS color.
This is the pricing for canon mount.

Depending on the lens n how your body n lens fair when pair together. Not all lens need to be calibrated :)

I offically join the club kekeke Trying out both 50mm & 85mm decide on 50mm as more walk about and the price tag too play a part.....

I offically join the club kekeke Trying out both 50mm & 85mm decide on 50mm as more walk about and the price tag too play a part.....

You will not regret it. Enjoy the lens! :)

hi,does a brand new sigma 50mm need to be calibrated?

Any lens, be it Canon, Nikon, Zeiss or even Leica need not be calibrated if there is nothing wrong with it's AF function. You only calibrate if it is off with your cam.

Do not be overly worried about what you read in forums about AF issues of this lens. I have bought 2, and both were sharp straight out of the box and snap focus without problem. It is frankly an overhyped issue. I can assure you many users are happy using this lens, (9 out of 10 is my guess). Most of the time, we only hear from the disgruntled few, while the majority happy ones are out shooting :)

If you want, I recommend you to go read the forum below, and count the number of unhappy ones vs happy users, and get yourself poisoned deeper if you haven't buy this lens:

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM -SIGMALUX- - Canon Digital Photography Forums

My 2 cts

Any lens, be it Canon, Nikon, Zeiss or even Leica need not be calibrated if there is nothing wrong with it's AF function. You only calibrate if it is off with your cam.

Do not be overly worried about what you read in forums about AF issues of this lens. I have bought 2, and both were sharp straight out of the box and snap focus without problem. It is frankly an overhyped issue. I can assure you many users are happy using this lens, (9 out of 10 is my guess). Most of the time, we only hear from the disgruntled few, while the majority happy ones are out shooting :)

If you want, I recommend you to go read the forum below, and count the number of unhappy ones vs happy users, and get yourself poisoned deeper if you haven't buy this lens:

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM -SIGMALUX- - Canon Digital Photography Forums

My 2 cts

+1. No need to worry at all. Just test the lens on your camera before your pay.

I agree with them as well, printed chart to test out copies, took my time at the shop and purchase when it's right but be mindful ;p

+2 here! That lens is great and to me, a worthy contender to the Canon 50/1.2L at a fraction of the price!

Great lens! Mine back focus a little for focus beyond 3m:( after tweaking the micro af adjustment a little the problem is solve:)

Great lens.. fully enjoyed it on FF..